Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hmm, maybe this wasn't such a great idea?
Josiegirl 03:06 AM 05-08-2015
I ended up buying a children's kitchen table and 6 chairs, adjustable legs on the table. I thought it was going to be such a cool idea!!! I have ages 20 months thru 5 yo that use it.
Here are all the fun things they've discovered they can do with it!!
Push the table back and forth into each other.
Move their chairs close to and away from each other.
Grab food off others' plates(this is the 2 littler tots).
Do things in others' faces that annoy the crap out of them.
If they have to sneeze or cough and don't cover in time, they get lots of attention.
Kick each other so much easier because everyone's feet are right there.
Rock the lightweight chairs and give me super stress syndrome.
Get up a hundred times during 20-30 minutes to get something they couldn't live without.
Drop their fork or spoons 15 times.
Spilled milk affects the whole table, not just their own space now.
Let's see, am I forgetting anything? Oh yes, the constant reminder they need to 'stay on your bottom'. AND last but certainly not least, poke each other with their forks.

OMG....tell me it gets easier and the kids will learn appropriate behavior??? I've actually threatened to take the new table away and haul out the boosters again.

daycarediva 03:54 AM 05-08-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I ended up buying a children's kitchen table and 6 chairs, adjustable legs on the table. I thought it was going to be such a cool idea!!! I have ages 20 months thru 5 yo that use it.
Here are all the fun things they've discovered they can do with it!!
Push the table back and forth into each other.
Move their chairs close to and away from each other.
Grab food off others' plates(this is the 2 littler tots).
Do things in others' faces that annoy the crap out of them.
If they have to sneeze or cough and don't cover in time, they get lots of attention.
Kick each other so much easier because everyone's feet are right there.
Rock the lightweight chairs and give me super stress syndrome.
Get up a hundred times during 20-30 minutes to get something they couldn't live without.
Drop their fork or spoons 15 times.
Spilled milk affects the whole table, not just their own space now.
Let's see, am I forgetting anything? Oh yes, the constant reminder they need to 'stay on your bottom'. AND last but certainly not least, poke each other with their forks.

OMG....tell me it gets easier and the kids will learn appropriate behavior??? I've actually threatened to take the new table away and haul out the boosters again.

IT DOES! I sit with my kids (ordered a 7th chair and sit on the end of my 6 kid table) I model proper table manners, correct when need be, and give praise, we talk, and they LOVE this time. Meals are always a calm time and I love them. (Once the foods served).

We go over rules beforehand, I give ONE warning and I excuse them (they have to potty, wash hands, brush teeth and go to nap early) if they are disruptive. Not so fun, no more attention.

I also do things like have them ask to be excused, wait their turn, pass items. We don't eat until everyone is seated, rule reminders are said (the kids say them now)
DaveA 04:10 AM 05-08-2015
It does but those first couple of days will be rough. Everytime I switched from boosters to the kiddie table it took a few days for the "Let's see what we can try to get away with" to wear off.
Kabob 04:49 AM 05-08-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
IT DOES! I sit with my kids (ordered a 7th chair and sit on the end of my 6 kid table) I model proper table manners, correct when need be, and give praise, we talk, and they LOVE this time. Meals are always a calm time and I love them. (Once the foods served).

We go over rules beforehand, I give ONE warning and I excuse them (they have to potty, wash hands, brush teeth and go to nap early) if they are disruptive. Not so fun, no more attention.

I also do things like have them ask to be excused, wait their turn, pass items. We don't eat until everyone is seated, rule reminders are said (the kids say them now)
Yep, the only time there is peace here (other than nap time) is when food is served. Then they are all happy to sit still. I chat with those modeling good behavior too. They love that and then they learn to wait their turn to join the conversation too. Now they practice their manners for meal times during play time. It is very cute to watch one of them serve the others a pretend meal and then say "So, how is your day today?"
Reply Up