Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Am Going Crazy
MommyMuffin 12:23 PM 09-13-2011
I have a 1 yo dcb who never sleeps and wakes up everyone.

Do they grown out of this ever?
I've had him for 10 months. Do I give him more time or should I just term?
I need the money but I dont think I can take him disrupting the dcks and my own kids sleep and of course my nerves.

At the end of the day i say "oh that wasnt so bad" I can keep doing this, my family needs the money. But during nap time I am so close to tears because of this and I always say to myself today is the day I AM TERMING TODAY.
I was thinking of giving it 30 days and see how I feel. I dont kno.
WWYD?
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 09-13-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I have a 1 yo dcb who never sleeps and wakes up everyone.

Do they grown out of this ever?
I've had him for 10 months. Do I give him more time or should I just term?
I need the money but I dont think I can take him disrupting the dcks and my own kids sleep and of course my nerves.

At the end of the day i say "oh that wasnt so bad" I can keep doing this, my family needs the money. But during nap time I am so close to tears because of this and I always say to myself today is the day I AM TERMING TODAY.
I was thinking of giving it 30 days and see how I feel. I dont kno.
WWYD?
Take your advice! It works wonders to have a timeline and some how puts things inperspective!!
Christian Mother 12:46 PM 09-13-2011
Try playing music something peaceful for the kids at nap time. After lunch we pick up toys get into the quiet mood and then bathroom break. I find that routine is key. They know what to expect. Everyday I play music during nap time bc they all sleep way better when there is some kind of quiet noise going on. I even like to play wood flute music with rain sounds or nature sounds. Also I make sure that my rooms the kids nap in are dark. Just a slight light from a night light for comfort. If I have a child wake up from nap they are usually still in bed but quiet. I ck often and they ashually will wait for me ashually tell them it is ok to get up for nap. Nap time here is from 2-3 hrs. Around 12 am to 3pm. I do have one parent that prefers a 2 hr nap for her son bc he isn't going to sleep til late at night. I will only do this if that child wakes up at those 2 hrs. If he is cranky or is still in that deep sleep mode I won't wake. But if he is able to wake him self then he sits quietly reading a book or does puzzles or watches a movie before the kids are awake. He is not allowed to get up at all until each child is up so as not to disturb others from napping.
blessedmess8 01:40 PM 09-13-2011
Same here, sister! You read my post - mine is 11 month. I sent the parents kind of a "warning" e-mail telling them if things didn't improve, I just couldn't do it anymore. I've had him since birth, and the mom was so upset she cried all day at work. I felt SO bad. However, it opened things up some between us. She finally felt ok to admit to me that they were having issues at home. Neither of us wanted to admit to the other that he was driving us nuts! They ended up taking him to the Dr and we are working with aLlergy (food and seasonal) issues. Formua switch and meds helped some. And, I don't think they would have pursued it medically if I hadn't threatened to term. But, things were still bad! Better, but still bad. So, (along with lots of prayer), I dropped him back down to more of an infant schedule. He sleeps, eats when he wakes up, then plays, then sleeps again. Also, I'm letting him CIO, which I have NEVER done before! I put a bed for him in my room, away from the noise of the daycare room. It is cool and dark in there and I have a fairly loud fan going. When he acts sleepy, I kiss him, lay him down, shut the door and walk away. It breaks my heart, but - tried rocking, sometimes for 2 hours! He would be exhausted, but keep himself awake! I don't know why this is working so much better, but now he is going to sleep after just a little fussing and staying asleep! And, since he's rested, he is a much happier guy when he's awake. I feel bad letting him cry, but he was literally sucking the life out of me! I was a bad provider for the past few month - cranky and short and disliked my job! so not fair to me, him or my other kids and families! so, letting him cry for a few is worth it for me! I was just like you. all it took was a weekend for me to feel like could stand it again. Pray about it. You may have to let this DCB go! I know it is hard - especially after you've had them that long!
Growing1atime 02:12 PM 09-13-2011
I am going through this with a 2 year old right now. He screams bloody murder for an hour straight. I go in and reassure him and tell him to quiet down and go to night night every 10 mins but I let him stay in the nap room for an hour.

But I am not at the point where I am pulling out my hair or crying yet! If I do get to that point I am going to start telling the mom that something will have to change.

You sound like you are at this point. You will have to make a decision soon, you can't continue to feel this way and be happy. Isn't that part of the charm of having your own business? You can make the decision wither to put up with it or look for other dkc's.
Happiness 02:20 PM 09-13-2011
OH GOODNESS... sooo feel your pain.. which I am sure that a lot of us on here do....

If he was older I would say let him stay up and do quiet stuff... but well only being 1 years old that is hard to do... and well if you have had him since he was 2 months old it is not cause you and your home is NEW to him... so maybe there is something going on at home...

Have you talked with the mom about the naptime issue? If there is maybe something happening at home.. how his sleep patterns are at home...

If you have already done that and really just can't take it I would ask the mom for some assistance in making sure they are up EARLY in the morning so that they NEED that nap in the afternoon... that could be it too...
Tags:disruptive, naptime routine, won't sleep
Reply Up