Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Craft Help Please!
AnythingsPossible 07:41 AM 05-06-2016
Anyone have a tried and true method for getting a one year old hand print? I have only had a few turn out this week and would like to get good ones for all, but it may not be possible. Thought I would try here and see if there are any crafty pros with secret tricks!
yodaone 07:58 AM 05-06-2016
I just recently did this as well and here are some tricks that helped, although her handprint still wasn't perfect.

Use a very small amount of paint, brushing it on with a paint brush. I actually used a sponge, but it worked just as well.

Bring the canvas/paper to babies hand rather then bringing their hand to the canvas.

TWO people! Biggest piece of advice. One person distracts baby, while the other does the work.

OR maybe when they are sleeping.

Don't be afraid to use your hand to "pry" open babies fist. Their hand will still have paint on it, so can will still work.
lovemydaycare0912 09:10 AM 05-06-2016
I have 4 1 year olds. I tape the paper to my table first. Some have begun pros since they've been with me for a while. For others, I take a clean paintbrush and pretend I am painting to get them use to it. Then I put the paint on and use both hands to lay theirs down. I also have them sit in a highchair while I do this.
Josiegirl 09:21 AM 05-06-2016
Use their feet.
Sorry I'm not much help but I have a couple almost 2 yos that I still have a hard time getting a good hand print from. They love the goo on their hands.
Unregistered 09:24 AM 05-06-2016
Have the paper lower, even on the floor. The baby will naturally open their hand if they feel like they are falling. But of course you hold them around their waist.
Laurel 09:43 AM 05-07-2016
To just get an outline of the hand (not using paint), I would wet the baby's hand with water and then press it on the construction paper. Then, before it dried, I'd trace around it.
NoMoreJuice! 09:01 PM 05-07-2016
With my littles, I always do "practice runs" where I tell them what we're going to do, show them with my hand, practice with their hand, then do it for real. And I usually have someone help me. The two person advice is for real.
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 05-08-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Have the paper lower, even on the floor. The baby will naturally open their hand if they feel like they are falling. But of course you hold them around their waist.
This has always worked for me!
You get a perfect handprint every time
Tags:crafts
Reply Up