Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Water Play
SilverSabre25 08:35 AM 01-14-2014
First time I've offered indoor water play to the whole group in a LONG time. It's rough going.

Ages 5, 2.5, 1.5, and 10mos are here. so far the older three are using the water and the baby is cautiously watching. There's a lot of drinking of water by the 2.5 and 1.5. SIGH. There's a lot of spilling on purpose by the 1.5, who gives me a LOOK as he hoards the spoons and sets the on the ground beside him, or drinks the water, or deliberately pours it in his lap. Mostly the 1.5 is sitting there staring at me while the other two play.

I'm trying so hard not to yell.

The entire reason I am doing water is to address the 2.5's current need to explore with liquids. It's supposed to be a nice activity. But it's highlighting ways in which the 5 and 1.5 don't get limits set at home or get much exposure to different things like this. I frankly question whether they even play in the bathtub at home, the way 1.5 is acting with it. If he does, he sure as sure isn't stopped from drinking the water.
TwinKristi 08:56 AM 01-14-2014
You're far braver than I am! I will only do water play outside when it's mild or warm weather! Inside with littles? May as well just dump it on the floor! LOL
SilverSabre25 09:03 AM 01-14-2014
Yeah, brave is one word.....crazy. insane. Maybe stupid

I put the water in a bin and lay it on old towels. It's really not THAT bad, although 1.5 is rather wet right now because he wouldn't stop putting stuff in his lap.

But....the 2.5 keeps showing beyond a shadow of a doubt that he has a strong need to experiment with liquids. So I NEED to offer this!
nothingwithoutjoy 09:09 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I put the water in a bin and lay it on old towels. It's really not THAT bad, although 1.5 is rather wet right now because he wouldn't stop putting stuff in his lap.
Try having it on a low table so they are standing--then no lap.
SilverSabre25 09:27 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Try having it on a low table so they are standing--then no lap.
Two problems: 1. I don't have a table the right height, and 2. I can see someone pulling the whoel THING over on themselves then!

But it's a good suggestion. just not what i'm going for. 2.5 and 5 did just fine. 1.5 is just....willful.
melilley 09:30 AM 01-14-2014
You should try seeing if the 2.5 yo (or any of them really) likes playing with the cornstarch and water. It's kind of like a liquid when you pick it up, but then turns solid. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.? I even love playing with it...lol
daycarediva 09:32 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Yeah, brave is one word.....crazy. insane. Maybe stupid

But....the 2.5 keeps showing beyond a shadow of a doubt that he has a strong need to experiment with liquids. So I NEED to offer this!
Can you set 2.5 & 5 up in a sink with some water items tomorrow? I don't know if I would reoffer it to the 1.5. EEK!

I do water play indoors. I have a shower curtain and cover it with a twin comforter, then put the water in large shallow dishes on the table with items. My group is OB SESSED with adding drops of food coloring to it and making colors.
SilverSabre25 09:39 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Can you set 2.5 & 5 up in a sink with some water items tomorrow? I don't know if I would reoffer it to the 1.5. EEK!

I do water play indoors. I have a shower curtain and cover it with a twin comforter, then put the water in large shallow dishes on the table with items. My group is OB SESSED with adding drops of food coloring to it and making colors.
My sinks aren't big enough or in the right place but that's another good idea.

I think i will be saving it for nap though when 1.5 is asleep.

I had forgotten about food coloring; I will have to add that to the play soon.
SilverSabre25 09:40 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
You should try seeing if the 2.5 yo (or any of them really) likes playing with the cornstarch and water. It's kind of like a liquid when you pick it up, but then turns solid. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.? I even love playing with it...lol
Oh that's a great idea, I bet they all would! I bet Mr 2.5 would especially though. Shaving cream, too....

I raelly need to bump up the sensory play for this one.
Naptime yet? 09:57 AM 01-14-2014
Just put the containers on your kitchen floor, then give them rags, mopping is fun!
dave4him 10:51 AM 01-14-2014
Bath time turns into water play every day, lol. But for the day care kids we do not have any inside water play fun. Soon as it warms up though we will have lots!
Reply Up