Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teacher Burn-out
happymom 08:42 AM 10-09-2015
I can see one of my little boy's favorite teachers burning out. She just looks so exhausted and unhappy and I'd like to do something nice for her. She works in a daycare center and I know she is underpaid.

What can I do? She's in her early to mid twenties I'm guessing, I know nothing else about her but I can tell her job is taking a toll. The center has really a lot of turnover, and I Know whatever I do wouldn't be enough to make or break it but I want her to feel better and appreciated.
Blackcat31 08:49 AM 10-09-2015
Originally Posted by happymom:
I can see one of my little boy's favorite teachers burning out. She just looks so exhausted and unhappy and I'd like to do something nice for her. She works in a daycare center and I know she is underpaid.

What can I do? She's in her early to mid twenties I'm guessing, I know nothing else about her but I can tell her job is taking a toll. The center has really a lot of turnover, and I Know whatever I do wouldn't be enough to make or break it but I want her to feel better and appreciated.
Tell her.

The best thing a family has ever done for me wasn't monetary at all.
It was the expression of gratitude and for telling me genuinely that I WAS making a difference and that even though my job was a thankless one most time, it was still an important one.

That stayed with me more than a gift card or bottle of wine ever did.
happymom 08:56 AM 10-09-2015

Thats easy enough Thanks!
Josiegirl 09:16 AM 10-09-2015
I agree! One of those 'out of the blue' thank you for being so special in our lives kind of note. Best thing ever! Especially, as you know, in this business that nobody has the time or forethought to express heartfelt thanks often. And maybe point out a couple things she's done with your ds that he enjoyed or meant a lot. Even something small like that *can* make a person's week or month because they have that to fall back on when the going gets touch; that someone does appreciate all their hard work after all.
How sweet of you to want to do that!
TXhomedaycare 09:35 AM 10-09-2015
After my first year of home daycare I am totally burned out but last week I received a beautiful hand written note from one of my dcb grandmother with some Avon stuff. That made my month. A card or hand written note is awesome to receive because when needed you can look at it and feel good all over again.
jenboo 09:56 AM 10-09-2015
I'm all about a card and cash
littletots 10:01 AM 10-09-2015
I've enjoyed all my gift goodies. Cards, coffee mugs filled w chocolate, spa gift cards. She'll be happy. Very thoughtful of you😇
Digiscrapqueen 10:06 AM 10-09-2015
A handwriten thank you note would go a long way, even a small gift card would be nice :-) I agree that telling her she is making a difference would do wonders. Nice, thoughtful parents are a so refreshing! Yay for parents like you!
daycarediva 03:19 PM 10-09-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Tell her.

The best thing a family has ever done for me wasn't monetary at all.
It was the expression of gratitude and for telling me genuinely that I WAS making a difference and that even though my job was a thankless one most time, it was still an important one.

That stayed with me more than a gift card or bottle of wine ever did.
A small thank you card or handwritten "you're so appreciated" would make my week!
happymom 03:22 PM 10-09-2015
Thanks everyone, I just made a little note. I just realized I won't be picking up my little guy today (husband got off work early) so I'll have to give it on Monday. I'll add it to a little goodie bag and bring it on Monday!
pandamom 07:14 PM 10-09-2015
Write a letter and give it to the director. Give the caregiver a copy of the letter. I'm sure the director will give kudos to the cargiver too and put it in her personnel file. At our center, we have quarterly awards with cash prizes for caregivers- a nice letter would help.

I love it when parents do little things to let us know they're thinking of us. A couple of donuts or home baked goodies (our room doesn't mind home made goodies), nice tissues (the ones with lotion!), gift cards,etc.
Tags:burnout
Reply Up