Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interesting Co-Sleeping Ad...
Crystal 02:23 PM 11-15-2011
Now, if they would come up with an ad about positional asphyxia, I'd be very happy...........

http://news.yahoo.com/milwaukee-runs...213117311.html
Cat Herder 02:37 PM 11-15-2011
I LOVE them.
Blackcat31 02:42 PM 11-15-2011
NICE!!

My high needs infant (I posted about him in another thread) was co-sleeping with mom until I talked with her about the dangers of it AND positional asphyxia.

She announced yesterday that the child no longer sleeps anywhere except his crib, on his back and following ALL the rules I gave her!

I love when parents take the info we give and actually use it!
nannyde 04:07 PM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
NICE!!

My high needs infant (I posted about him in another thread) was co-sleeping with mom until I talked with her about the dangers of it AND positional asphyxia.

She announced yesterday that the child no longer sleeps anywhere except his crib, on his back and following ALL the rules I gave her!

I love when parents take the info we give and actually use it!
schweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
daycare 04:11 PM 11-15-2011
co sleeping is very very common in other parts of the world, despite its dangers.

I have co-slept and still do co-sleep with my children. All of them and if I was ever able to have another, I would do it all over again and again..
youretooloud 04:12 PM 11-15-2011
Co-sleeping parents disagree completely. They feel the child is far safer in bed with the parents than in their own bed alone. They will come up with scads of research to prove their point.

I never co-slept... I never would...but, I just assume parents are free to make that choice based on their lifestyle.

I haven't ever seen any research that proves that more kids die in bed with the parents than those who sleep in a crib alone. (based on percentages) I've never looked for that either.
SilverSabre25 04:27 PM 11-15-2011
All I'm gonna say on the subject is that those are NOT safe cosleeping situations. Fluffy bedding, pillows, nuh-uh. I don't think most people who co-sleep would have a bed that looks like that, that's awful.
daycare 04:36 PM 11-15-2011
I had this saved from something I did for my class a long time ago........

To me this is normal to you it is foreign.....

article reads:

For the overwhelming majority of mothers and babies around the globe today, cosleeping is an unquestioned practice. In much of southern Europe, Asia, Africa and Central and South America, mothers and babies routinely share sleep. In many cultures, cosleeping is the norm until children are weaned, and some continue long after weaning. Japanese parents (or grandparents) often sleep in proximity with their children until they are teenagers, referring to this arrangement as a river - the mother is one bank, the father another, and the child sleeping between them is the water. Most of the present world cultures practice forms of cosleeping and there are very few cultures in the world for which it would ever even be thought acceptable or desirable to have babies sleeping alone.

Cosleeping is practiced in a variety of ways around the world. In Latin America, the Philippines, and Vietnam, some parents sleep with their baby in a hammock next to the bed. Others place their baby in a wicker basket in the bed, between the two parents. In Japan, many parents sleep next to their baby on bamboo or straw mats, or on futons. Some parents simply room-share by putting the baby in a crib or bassinet that is kept within arm's reach of the bed. Most cultures that routinely practice cosleeping, in any form, have very rare instances of SIDS. SIDS occurrences are among the lowest in the world in Hong Kong, where cosleeping is extremely common.
Danielle 05:21 PM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
All I'm gonna say on the subject is that those are NOT safe cosleeping situations. Fluffy bedding, pillows, nuh-uh. I don't think most people who co-sleep would have a bed that looks like that, that's awful.
Exactly!! When done right, cosleeping is safe! I'm a cosleeping mama and here's my son as an infant as an example: pillow way above his head, blankets never high enough to touch him (I have to have my feet covered), slept on his back, and we used a snug fitting mesh bed rail.
Attached: 100_2666.jpg (82.3 KB) 
AfterSchoolMom 05:30 PM 11-15-2011
Sorry to threadjack, but....

Danielle, your son is SO cute!
SilverSabre25 06:04 PM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by Danielle:
Exactly!! When done right, cosleeping is safe! I'm a cosleeping mama and here's my son as an infant as an example: pillow way above his head, blankets never high enough to touch him (I have to have my feet covered), slept on his back, and we used a snug fitting mesh bed rail.
ditto. Like, exactly, word for word. Although I have to admit we've never used a bed rail. It was a cosleeper with DD and a "side carred" pack n play now with DS--which will be a side-carred crib here in about two months. A bedrail never occurred to me, lol.
Maddy'sMommy 06:16 PM 11-15-2011
I co-slept with my daughter when she was young, but I used one of those secure sleepers that you put on the bed, coupled with a mesh rail on her side. It works for me, and I have never had any problems. She was always on her back, with no fluffy pillows, or blankets anywhere near her.

One of the main issues I have read about causing death is people co-sleeping with they have been using alcohol or drugs (legal, or not). That is never safe, I won't even take NyQuil if my daughter is in bed with me.
sharlan 06:50 PM 11-15-2011
I never co-slept with either of my dd's. As a young mother, my pedi told me to put the baby in her own bed in her own bedroom and to never allow the baby in my bed for any reason. He was adamant about never nursing in my bed, always do it in the baby's room. I followed his advice.

My eldest dd co-slept with her eldest out of necessity. Her second would not sleep unless he was in his room, lights out, door shut.

As others have said, co-sleeping is common in many other countries.

I'm on the fence on this one.
AmyLeigh 09:09 PM 11-15-2011
What's next, children unproperly harnessed in car seats are hurt or killed, therefore no one should use a car seat? Children have been hurt or killed by faulty cribs, as well.

Sorry, but this made me mad when I first saw it. I think it is very misleading. Education about proper co-sleeping is needed, not a shock ad.

As PP's have said, when done correctly, it is safe, bonding and easy on a BF-ing mom to get some much needed rest. Obviously, I co-slept with all three of my children while they were infants. I only got them into their own beds to make room for the next child. Now, every morning my son and younger daughter climb in my bed with me for cuddles. It's a warm and safe place to them.
If people are more comfortable having their child in a crib, by all means, do it. But I slept better knowing that my child's breathing was in sync with my own.

Okay, I'll stop my rant now.
Lucy 10:18 PM 11-15-2011
I don't think I would do it, but I'm on the fence. I'm sure both sides can quote me studies to prove their side, but truthfully, I see it from both viewpoints. If you click the article in the OP's post, it references an article on Dr. Sears' website advocating co-sleeping. He is a renowned pediatrician who is one of the doctors on a TV show called "The Doctors", and I have heard him say on that show that he and his wife co-slept with all their children.
MamaJ 05:38 AM 11-16-2011
this is highly irritating to me. I think the ads, while have good intentions, are not done properly. Co-sleeping CAN be done safely. I know it's a lifestyle choice, but personally I have a hard time taking a baby fresh from the womb where he's used to being close to me, hearing my heart beat, to sleeping alone in a crib.

I've done a mix of co-sleeping and crib sleeping with both of my kids, and will do so with this baby also. I also breastfeed in my bed, sitting, lying down (gasp! the horror!). I love the bonding time. In fact, my husband was at work last night and I had both my 5 year old AND my 2 year old in bed with me (king bed of course). My 2 year old fell asleep snuggled up against me. It's the best! Both of my kids are well-adjusted, confident, and socially well-adjusted

I think the ads should be more educational about SAFE co-sleeping, instead of spouting off on national TV that all co-sleeping is evil and dangerous.
littlemommy 06:19 AM 11-16-2011
This ad is ridiculous.

Our 2 year old still co-sleeps with us, and has NEVER had anything happen to him. He has plenty of room in our bed, and he's never had a blanket over his head or his face smashed in a pillow. The comparison of a parent sleeping next to a baby is not at all comparable to a knife next to a baby.

I started co sleeping because it's so much easier with breastfeeding. I will co sleep with my next baby. People don't realize that when you co-sleep, you sleep a bit lighter so you are aware of where baby is-you will not roll over on them. I've also read studies that co-sleeping can actually prevent SIDS, because baby matches his breathing patterns with yours. Not sure if that's true or not, but I have no fears with co-sleeping.
greenhouse 06:25 AM 11-16-2011
In the studies cited for this campaign they did not take into consideration parental substance abuse and some of the deaths were from co-sleeping on a sofa. As other posters noted, safe-co sleeping practiced around the world along with breast feeding helps prevent SIDS. I co-sleep and love it. This ad is sensational, way over the top. Wouldn't the $ be better spent on pre-natal nutrition campaign or substance abuse help?
christinaskids 10:53 AM 11-16-2011
I coslept with my son when he was an infant. I breastfed and i also felt more safe sleeping next to him then in his crib right next to the bed. I was more worried about hubby rolling over on him so i slept in between the two. Now he wont sleep with me and if he does, i wake up to little fingers poking my eyes and nose or a bashing over the head with his bottle haha.
youretooloud 11:08 AM 11-16-2011
Here are some ideas for a sidecar crib.

http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/turn-...cosleeper.html

I'd do a sidecar, but I wouldn't have put a baby between my husband and myself. He's a restless sleeper.
Blackcat31 11:11 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:

I'd do a sidecar, but I wouldn't have put a baby between my husband and myself. He's a restless sleeper.
Yeah, but all cribs manufactured before June 2011 will no longer be allowed to be used by child cares so I wonder if any of the new cribs have the adaptibility to be turned into a "sidecar" crib.

If I am not mistaken, I also think many of co-sleeper PNP's have been recalled. I am not sure though...
KEG123 11:39 AM 11-16-2011
I'm a co-sleepin mama and proud of it. My son slept with us for 18 months, and my daughter is one month old now and has slept with us from day 1. I think the ad is ridiculous because there are safe ways to co-sleep, which the ad should point out instead of using scare tactics to say that it's either your baby sleeps with you and will die, or will sleep in the crib and be safe, both which are grossly inaccurate as we can see MANY parents co-sleep and their babies are fine AND many babies die in cribs, as we can see from not only sids, but unsafe cribs.
Kaddidle Care 11:41 AM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:

That is the key - the men don't have the same instincts, especially when they are sleeping. I did some co-sleeping when I was nursing my infants but I was in-between my husband and the baby. I also never slept with my back to the baby. When you are nursing, it's very uncomfortable to roll over onto your stomach with the sore boobs.

As a Mom you tend to sleep with one eye open, ears at alert anyway. It's more like dozing than actual real, deep sleep when they are infants.

The ad - while I understand that it's trying to make a point, I hope it is just photoshopped and that they didn't actually have that blade next to a sleeping baby. Ya know? I would consider that more irresponsible than co-sleeping.
countrymom 11:42 AM 11-16-2011
I have co slept with my kids, not so much with 3 of the of them, just the 4th one. Heck last night she decided to co sleep with us, but she is 7 and doesn't sleep inside a blanket (she's always hot) and decided to strangle me with her arms and legs, so I didn't get any sleep.

I agree, if its done right there is nothing to worry about, I'm a light sleeper too. I think if I had to choose between co sleeping and sleepless nights, I would co sleep.
hoopinglady 11:44 AM 11-16-2011
I put my infants in cribs to sleep, except for when we fell asleep in the recliner nursing together.

somehow though, I've become sandwiched between my 2 and 4 year old's sweaty little bodies every night.

little cuddle bugs.
Blackcat31 11:58 AM 11-16-2011
Now they are saying these ads are going too far...

http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_new...s-some-parents
Country Kids 12:36 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Now they are saying these ads are going too far...

http://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_new...s-some-parents
I saw that too! Interested in reading it after done reading all the posts here that I missed from this morning=
Ariana 05:00 PM 11-16-2011
I also co-slept and did it safely. Most people in other countries do it!! In Japan it is unheard of to have a child under 5 sleep alone in another room.

I agree with some of the comments that more investigating needs to be done. It just seems odd that they're only blaming co-sleeping?!
SilverSabre25 05:30 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
It just seems odd that they're only blaming co-sleeping?!
This is what always gets me...the news does not present a fair, unbiased view of these things. I always want to know if there was any substance abuse or use by the parent, the state of the bed (like one in the ads, or like the one Danielle posted), whether or not the child was ill, etc.
QualiTcare 06:06 PM 11-16-2011
there is plenty of research showing that drinking and driving is dangerous, but there are people who can say, "well, i drank and drove home and i made it there perfectly safe!" there are always exceptions to rules. that doesn't make the research any less credible.

people have the right to raise their children how they choose. if you've been presented with the evidence and choose to go against it, that's your right. however, there's nothing wrong with the evidence being presented...even if it is in a way that offends someone. had they been advertising something that had no research to back up the claim then it would be a different story, but they're not doing that.
Tags:co-sleeping, death, parental life choices, positional asphyxia, safety, sids, suids
Reply Up