Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Keep Your House from Smelling Like a Daycare?
SunshineMama 01:28 PM 03-23-2012
What do you guys do to get your house fresh and clean, without the over-sanitized hospital smell? 2 kids just got picked up and I went to clean the playroom and PHEW... it smelled so bad

I use lysol spray. I air out the house with open windows. I take out the trash daily. I clean toys weekly.

My guest bedroom and playroom always have that daycare smell for a day or two after the kids leave for the weekend, even though I super clean. I feel like those 2 rooms always smell like poop or a hospital.

Just wondering how others keep their house smelling fresh when the kids go home for the day?
Blackcat31 01:30 PM 03-23-2012
I don't allow daycare kids in my house.

(sorry, I couldn't resist. )
daycare 01:33 PM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Brat
SunshineMama 01:33 PM 03-23-2012

TGIF!
daycare 01:38 PM 03-23-2012
I buy the wall plug ins from bath and body works. I have 3 in my house they smell so good..

Does not smell like chemicals...AND I open all my windows for a few hours even in the freezing cold....
Breezy 01:40 PM 03-23-2012
Cat

I know what you mean. I will walk by the napping room and it will just smell like kids or poop. I open the window and keep the fan going and wash pnp sheets in Gain so it smells nummy in there. But even then it is hard to get rid of the smell.

In my main areas I burn candles. I love love love candles and I have a Air Wick air freshner that goes off every 36 minutes
Michael 01:48 PM 03-23-2012
For all smells I use Ionic Air Purifier. Here is a good thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37395

This is a natural air freshioner:

Dr. Schulze's Air Detox: https://www.herbdoc.com/index.php?op...&Itemid=42&c=1
Herbal Ingredients: 100% pure essential oils of Eucalyptus, Grapefruit, Lime, Lemon, Orange

Blackcat31 01:52 PM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
For all smells I use Ionic Air Purifier.
Do they really work? I have been seriously thinking of buying one because although my house doesn't smell like kids, my daycare sure can at times!

I leave and have to close all the doors and windows each night and for the whole weekend so I think my daycare probably smells worse than most since it is locked up tight for big periods of time where others live in their daycares and can open windows and do other day to day things that eventually cover up or clear out the smells of diapers and little kids.

My DH suggested an ionic air purifyer....but I am such a big baby about buying anything that "might not" work or has no visual results I can actually measure.
Meeko 01:56 PM 03-23-2012

Me neither,,,LOL!!!!!!

Seriously...I clean deep and then I spray Glade powder scent everywhere. It's not overpowering and yet makes the day care smell like freshly powered babies! Everyone comments on how they like the smell. My son lives there and so he doesn't want it smelling too flowery or sterile...but he likes the soft powder scent.
Michael 02:05 PM 03-23-2012
Do they really work? I have been seriously thinking of buying one because although my house doesn't smell like kids, my daycare sure can at times!

I leave and have to close all the doors and windows each night and for the whole weekend so I think my daycare probably smells worse than most since it is locked up tight for big periods of time where others live in their daycares and can open windows and do other day to day things that eventually cover up or clear out the smells of diapers and little kids.

My DH suggested an ionic air purifyer....but I am such a big baby about buying anything that "might not" work or has no visual results I can actually measure.
I once bought 5 of the big $300 ionizers when they were popular around 10 years ago. They worked great but a report came out (like all the others)suggesting how they might not be healthy. I use to put one blowing right at my daughters crib and 10 years later she is as normal as any other child and never gets sick.

When I hang out with friends in a smoke filled room I come home and take off my cloths in the garage where I also have an ionizer. Next morning the cloths have no smoke smell and actually smell like they were just washed. I have only had great experiences with ionizers.
SunshineMama 02:26 PM 03-23-2012
I think I am definitely going to get one of those!

Tax write off???
MamaBear 02:27 PM 03-23-2012
I loved my Linen scented Glade spray... and I mopped every day with my Fabuloso... (the green stuff)... smells soooo good
littlemommy 02:54 PM 03-23-2012
After the kids leave I can still smell the fabric softener from their clothes. Blegh.

Essential oils are amazing.
SilverSabre25 03:20 PM 03-23-2012
Ugh, I don't know. I have used the Glade plug-in things and they do okay.

I don't have the over-sanitized smell, but the poo smell from a couple of those kids sure does linger.
sharlan 03:30 PM 03-23-2012
I keep all of my windows open as much as possible. I try not to use odor maskers when not necessary.
godiva83 03:49 PM 03-23-2012
I also use an ionizer/ air purifier and LOVE it. I use it during nap, craft time ect and my house always smells fresh. I also use natural essence oils or simply boil oranges, cloves and cinnamon. I am not a huge fan of chemical sprays, plug ins or candles. Although, I love the smells my DS has asthma and they seem to really agrivate the wee mans breathing
Heidi 03:58 PM 03-23-2012

naughty Cat again!
momma2girls 05:27 PM 03-23-2012
Of course, Scentsy sprays!!!! They work wonderfully and are very concentrated!! If anyone would anything, please let me know!! You can order directly from my website!!!
MizzCheryl 05:35 PM 03-23-2012
I hate when the DCPs wear so much stanky cologne or perfume that you can smell it after they leave.
yuck!
PitterPatter 05:38 PM 03-23-2012

LOL As soon as I started to scroll and saw your cat icon I knew you was going to say something like that! I sooo wish I could say the same!
PitterPatter 05:44 PM 03-23-2012
I bought a Hyacinth for the play room yesterday hoping it would help because I can't stand the smell of the kids feet/socks. The shoes aren't real old I just bought them for them last summer or so but my gosh do they stink and so making the socks and feet stink. It's 100 times worse when they play in the wet morning grass! DCG wont take her socks off so I tried to febreeze them. bad I know.

I burn tarts when the kids leave and use as much clean scented cleaning products as I can. I dont want that orange or lemon scent either.
PitterPatter 05:45 PM 03-23-2012
I once bought 5 of the big $300 ionizers when they were popular around 10 years ago. They worked great but a report came out (like all the others)suggesting how they might not be healthy. I use to put one blowing right at my daughters crib and 10 years later she is as normal as any other child and never gets sick.

When I hang out with friends in a smoke filled room I come home and take off my cloths in the garage where I also have an ionizer. Next morning the cloths have no smoke smell and actually smell like they were just washed. I have only had great experiences with ionizers.
I want 1! Whats the best to get? So many copies these days.
countrymom 06:57 PM 03-23-2012
I have the glade sprays. I have it set so it shoots a burst of spray every 30 minutes. My house never smells like cat or daycare kids. Its funny, when it sprays it makes a noise and all the daycare kids stop and try to find the noise, happens every time. I have it up high so they don't see it, but its funny to see them stop in their tracks.
SD DaycareMOM 07:04 PM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
I hate when the DCPs wear so much stanky cologne or perfume that you can smell it after they leave.
yuck!
In my area, it's the manure on the boots that you still smell after the parents leave!

I LOVE my air purifier!
littlemissmuffet 07:16 PM 03-23-2012
Scentsy!
LittleCupcakes 07:40 PM 03-23-2012
SCENTSY! I have a warmer in my living room, kitchen, bathroom, my room, & my daughters room. I of course don't have them all on at once, but without them my house would stink!
Solandia 08:00 PM 03-23-2012
We have a few people with asthma in the house, so we don't do anything scented at all. No lysol, no air freshener, no candles, etc...bleach because have to, however, bleach doesn't trigger anyone here like the candles & sprays do.

All diapers go in the garage as soon as they are changed. Poopy diapers are bagged before going in the trash (i reuse bread bags for this). There is NEVER a wet or soiled diaper in the house longer than it takes to changes the child. My pet peeve is poopy smells in the house. It was one of the things I hated about taking my oldest to a daycare center...they all smelled like poop to me, all the time.

The bleach smell, imo, only lasts a couple of hours, max....the urine/feces smell seems to permeate everything. ugh.

My house usually smells like dinner, cookies, or whatever the last hot meal happened to be.
Michael 10:24 PM 03-23-2012
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I want 1! Whats the best to get? So many copies these days.
This one looks closest to the ones I had. http://www.amazon.com/Ionic-90IP1RCM...566994-4526814

Mary Poppins 04:30 PM 03-24-2012
This one looks closest to the ones I had. http://www.amazon.com/Ionic-90IP1RCM...566994-4526814

They can be spendy but I LOVE, LOVE , LOVE my air purifiers! They really do work. We have several and my house smells fresh all the time. Cuts down on the dust a TON too!

The ones I use automatically kick into overdrive if there is an odor so that comes in handy during diaper changes.
Meeko 05:37 PM 03-24-2012
Originally Posted by MamaBear:
I loved my Linen scented Glade spray... and I mopped every day with my Fabuloso... (the green stuff)... smells soooo good
Bought some of the Fabuloso at the store today. Smells divine! Can't wait to try it out.
Bella99 06:00 PM 03-24-2012
Scentsy!! (shameful plug) I sell this, too. I'm grateful to have inaccesable spots in my home that little hands cant get to.. so the warmers and accesories are great.

There was ONE accident where my nephew actually, while being held by another family member, stuck his hand into the wax. He was totally fine and thought it was funny (better than crying, right?) so it's not BAD, if they do get to it, it's just not recommended. Plus, peeling wax off is not fun.
saved4always 06:39 PM 03-24-2012
Scentsy warmers. I have one in each bathroom, in the kitchen, in the foyer and in the basement...oh, and one in my bedroom. I've been to a lot of parties! I used the one in the kitchen and the basement alot while I watched kids in my house. I found that the dcb that drank soy milk especially had a lingering scent... I know...TMI!
momma2girls 06:38 AM 03-25-2012
Originally Posted by Bella99:
Scentsy!! (shameful plug) I sell this, too. I'm grateful to have inaccesable spots in my home that little hands cant get to.. so the warmers and accesories are great.

There was ONE accident where my nephew actually, while being held by another family member, stuck his hand into the wax. He was totally fine and thought it was funny (better than crying, right?) so it's not BAD, if they do get to it, it's just not recommended. Plus, peeling wax off is not fun.
it's just like a parrafin wax- to get it off your hands or fingers.
Bella99 12:01 PM 03-25-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
it's just like a parrafin wax- to get it off your hands or fingers.
It is parrafin wax, but my nephew had a 'fist' so it was in all the nooks and crevices.
DCMom 01:48 PM 03-25-2012
This is my biggest fear, especially in the winter. That my house smells like stinky diapers!

I have a Scentsy warmer on the top of my desk hutch and plugged in behind my desk. I have to get on a chair to get to it, so the kids for sure can't get at it. I LOVE my Scentsy! I get at least one comment a day about how good my house smells. I usually have the fresh scents, like the Spa collections.
Bella99 03:47 PM 03-25-2012
Originally Posted by DCMom:
This is my biggest fear, especially in the winter. That my house smells like stinky diapers!

I have a Scentsy warmer on the top of my desk hutch and plugged in behind my desk. I have to get on a chair to get to it, so the kids for sure can't get at it. I LOVE my Scentsy! I get at least one comment a day about how good my house smells. I usually have the fresh scents, like the Spa collections.
My cousin got one from us (he has a daycare at home) and has said that when she uses the bakery scents, especially sugar cookie, the DCparents come in asking if they baked that day. Horrible teaser, right? haha!
Childminder 09:44 AM 03-26-2012
Fabreeze!!! love it. Smells fresh and is not over powering, you spray it in the air or on fabric. It is a corn based product and not toxic and babies can't get burnt from the wax.

I also have used an ionizer but not as much any more, just when it's particularly heavy in the atmosphere. Opening the windows is another good way to ionize the air, especially after a rain storm. My girlfriends dog got sprayed by a skunk on the front porch just as she opened the door to let it in. OMG it rubbed the stink all over their furniture and carpet trying to rub it off. She was able to wash the dog but not everything else. It was so overpowering it made your eys water just walking in her house. Someone told her to rent an ionizer and she did moving it room to room. Big difference in just a couple of hours. Couldn't smell the skunk by the next morning.
Tags:air quality, air sanitizer, clean, daycare odor, odor, smell
Reply Up