Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Center in Home
Unregistered 10:01 AM 10-07-2019
Hello everyone,
I have a question. Has any purchased a home and just used it as a day care business?
I live in Maryland. I'm working on starting my own center. I want to start small. I want to use a home but not actually live. I found a house that was already zoned for a daycare and would like to use the home. I own a home already.
Michael 01:13 PM 10-07-2019
Here is another post that relates to a second home being used just for daycare: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83471
rosieteddy 05:48 AM 10-08-2019
I f its to be a center there are different regulations than family childcare.One of the biggest is a sprinkler system.I n my town one of the most successful centers was originally a home.It was then broken down into classrooms.I think you should figure out the benefits before jumping in.A large family childcare can be a lucrative bussines without the extra hassle of employees ect.
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 10-08-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello everyone,
I have a question. Has any purchased a home and just used it as a day care business?
I live in Maryland. I'm working on starting my own center. I want to start small. I want to use a home but not actually live. I found a house that was already zoned for a daycare and would like to use the home. I own a home already.
I own and operate out of a separate house purchased just for daycare use. I am licensed as a large family child care and not a center for various reasons but have been operating this way for many many years now.

Do you know if your state allows the provider to live off site or do you plan to be licensed as a center?

I know many states do not allow family child care in a home in which the provider does not reside there.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have...
LK5kids 06:41 PM 10-12-2019
We purchased a separate home twice in two different states just for child care Some stares allow it and others do not. In WI it was allowed but you had to check with individual city zoning for state licensing.
flying_babyb 02:17 PM 10-13-2019
I worked at a daycare that was built into a three story Victorian. It was a 3 room center with a apartment on top. Worked at another center that was a house. two stories of classrooms, 4 upstairs, 4 down with a gym, owner lived on the thrid floor he converted. Both were great little well run centers. I loved it too cause it was a more homey feel.
DaveA 03:20 AM 10-14-2019
The first center I worked in was a triplex apartment the owners converted 2 units into a center and lived in the 3rd. They eventually bought the house next door and moved into it adding the 3rd unit to the center.
Tags:second home
Reply Up