Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensing Visit Scheduled! ? On Paperwork Organization
mrw_mn 10:54 AM 08-20-2013
Hello everyone! I have my initial licensing visit scheduled! I am super excited, but also super nervous! All of the things that my provider friends have told me to have done I have done, but I am still nervous!

I am working on organizing my files in a way that will allow me to stay on top of it as best as possible (ha ha, I know!).

Question I have for you ladies (and gentlemen)...what works for you? How do you have your files organized? I currently have a hanging file for each child, then a sub folder for 1. Emergency, 2. Agreement and Enrollment forms, 3 Immunizations, 4. Authorizations (trampoline, pool, photos, travel, etc), 5. General (notes, information about the child, etc).

I think a big one I am missing is a payment folder.

How does this sound? Too much? Not enough?
butterfly 11:04 AM 08-20-2013
Holy cow, all that organization makes me feel unorganized.

I have one file for each child. I have immunizations stapled to the back inside of the folder and I have my required contact info, emergency/allergy info (the really important stuff) written on the front cover of the folder, all other forms are stapled to the front inside. Any other stuff that pertains to that child gets added to the center through the years.

I couldn't image having so many files for one kid, but if it works for you - run with it.

I don't have a payment folder, but I put all my payments (and expenses) in a quicken program for end of the year statements and tax time. Lots of other providers use the Minute menu program for this type of stuff. - My payments are required weekly, if they don't pay they don't stay so I don't need to keep track of whether they are paid up and current or not.

Good luck on your inspection!!
melilley 11:12 AM 08-20-2013
I too have a hanging file and it works great! I never thought of having sub folders, I just put all of that child's info. in one. I also have a file that contains a hard copy of everything that I have done/made for the daycare that is on my computer. You never know when something could happen to your computer! Or you could back them up, but I prefer to have a hard copy. That way if I need something I can just copy and print.
Instead of a payment folder, I bought a receipt book with (brain freeze) oh, those yellow-carbon copies...lol That way the parent gets one and I have one.

Good luck with your licensing visit! Don't be too nervous, it sounds like you are prepared! I'm sure you'll do great!
Meeko 11:50 AM 08-20-2013
I have had many licensors over the years. Every single one has told me they wished other providers did their files like mine. Inspections for most usually take about 1 to 2 hours (according to licensing). My last one was 45 minutes. Infact, CCRR keeps on at me to teach a class about paperwork organization and I just haven't had the time.

I have a ring binder divided into sections for each child. I use plastic page protectors and have each page ready to read just like a book. Each child's papers are in exactly the same order. We sit at the table and I just flip over the pages as she looks.

I have one binder for the kids and one for other info, such as background checks, fire drills etc. Everything is in one place and can be grabbed at a seconds notice. If we ever needed to leave the house in an emergency, I just grab my book and off we go, with all information easily at hand.

It's easy and I NEVER worry about my paperwork being out of order at any time.
MamaBearCanada 11:53 AM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I have had many licensors over the years. Every single one has told me they wished other providers did their files like mine. Inspections for most usually take about 1 to 2 hours (according to licensing). My last one was 45 minutes. Infact, CCRR keeps on at me to teach a class about paperwork organization and I just haven't had the time.

I have a ring binder divided into sections for each child. I use plastic page protectors and have each page ready to read just like a book. Each child's papers are in exactly the same order. We sit at the table and I just flip over the pages as she looks.

I have one binder for the kids and one for other info, such as background checks, fire drills etc. Everything is in one place and can be grabbed at a seconds notice. If we ever needed to leave the house in an emergency, I just grab my book and off we go, with all information easily at hand.

Meeko please please pretty please...

Can you provide a list of the paperwork you have in a child section and then in the general?

melilley 11:58 AM 08-20-2013

Ooooh good idea, putting each child's paperwork in the same order! I have never thought to do that... I'm so going to do that next time I organize my files!
jenn 12:46 PM 08-20-2013
I have a huge 3 ring binder. Everything that my inspector could need is in there. I have a lot of tab dividers that keep everything in order. Kid forms, trainings, menus, attendance, a copy of my handbook ...everything is in that book. When she comes, I hand her the book, she flips through it, walks through the house, and we're done.
Meeko 12:58 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
I have a huge 3 ring binder. Everything that my inspector could need is in there. I have a lot of tab dividers that keep everything in order. Kid forms, trainings, menus, attendance, a copy of my handbook ...everything is in that book. When she comes, I hand her the book, she flips through it, walks through the house, and we're done.
This exactly!
Meeko 01:05 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:

Can you provide a list of the paperwork you have in a child section and then in the general?

In the child's section is enrollment form, health evaluation and shot record. Just the minimum require by regs.(Utah licensing doesn't check immunizations any more, but we must have a record)

I keep MY personal contract, liability statement etc. separately. Licensing don't need to see it. I have parents fill out the minimal state supplied one and just have that in the file they look at. No need to confuse them with my own stuff.

My general file includes FBI checks, training records, fire drills, personnel info, food handlers certificates, first aid certificates, evacuation plan, policy plans...all required by regs.

Every single piece of paper is in a clear page protector and easy to flip to when needed.
MCC 01:48 PM 08-20-2013
In the child's section is enrollment form, health evaluation and shot record. Just the minimum require by regs.(Utah licensing doesn't check immunizations any more, but we must have a record)

I keep MY personal contract, liability statement etc. separately. Licensing don't need to see it. I have parents fill out the minimal state supplied one and just have that in the file they look at. No need to confuse them with my own stuff.

My general file includes FBI checks, training records, fire drills, personnel info, food handlers certificates, first aid certificates, evacuation plan, policy plans...all required by regs.

Every single piece of paper is in a clear page protector and easy to flip to when needed.
I love this idea! I have a 8 1/2 x 5 binder that I take with us on trips, but I never thought about doing that for everything. Sooo much easier, and it wont take up floor space like my current huge file box.
MamaBearCanada 05:52 PM 08-20-2013

Thanks!
Familycare71 07:21 PM 08-20-2013

I remember reading this somewhere!! It is on my list of things to do!! . It sounds like a great plan
Familycare71 07:22 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:

Yes!!! Please!!!
misslori50 01:55 PM 08-21-2013

Since im just starting id love some help with this. is there any way you could take a photo of your book?
Meeko 03:39 PM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by misslori50:
Since im just starting id love some help with this. is there any way you could take a photo of your book?
I'll borrow hubby's tablet and get some taken!
LaLa1923 05:36 PM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Holy cow, all that organization makes me feel unorganized.

I have one file for each child. I have immunizations stapled to the back inside of the folder and I have my required contact info, emergency/allergy info (the really important stuff) written on the front cover of the folder, all other forms are stapled to the front inside. Any other stuff that pertains to that child gets added to the center through the years.

I couldn't image having so many files for one kid, but if it works for you - run with it.

I don't have a payment folder, but I put all my payments (and expenses) in a quicken program for end of the year statements and tax time. Lots of other providers use the Minute menu program for this type of stuff. - My payments are required weekly, if they don't pay they don't stay so I don't need to keep track of whether they are paid up and current or not.

Good luck on your inspection!!

I couldn't agree more!! Thanks for the laugh
misslori50 07:41 PM 08-21-2013
I'll borrow hubby's tablet and get some taken!
thanks
coolconfidentme 03:45 AM 08-22-2013
I'm pretty OCD on paperwork. I have mine all in the same order & as it outlined in the state requirements. Each folder has a checklist for the documents inclosed. I also have all documents scanned & can be reached digitally from any computer. (I'm a nerd.)
Meeko 07:27 PM 08-22-2013
I'm working on it!

A driver coming down from the canyon fell asleep at the wheel and slammed right into the back of my car which was parked outside my house. Hubby had JUST moved it out there GRRR! Car is totalled. I have THOSE pics LOL!

Nobody was hurt, but I am up to my eyeballs with insurance stuff for the next couple days. What fun!

Watch this space and I'll post some pics of my folders for you.
Familycare71 07:29 PM 08-22-2013
I'm working on it!

A driver coming down from the canyon fell asleep at the wheel and slammed right into the back of my car which was parked outside my house. Hubby had JUST moved it out there GRRR! Car is totalled. I have THOSE pics LOL!

Nobody was hurt, but I am up to my eyeballs with insurance stuff for the next couple days. What fun!

glad everyone is ok!!!
Meeko 09:26 PM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
glad everyone is ok!!!
Me too!
MamaBearCanada 05:50 AM 08-23-2013
I'm working on it!

So glad you weren't in it & that no one was hurt!!
misslori50 06:50 PM 08-26-2013
oh my
WImom 06:58 PM 08-26-2013
I just have a folder for each child and for payements I have a receipt book which parent gets one copy and I keep the other (Stays in book) and then I also enter payments in MMK.

I keep a spreadsheet printed out with all the forms needed and keep that in the front of the the hanging file (I keep all the kids folders in one hanging file). I check the spreadsheet every few months to make sure there is a due date for a form coming up.
misslori50 07:19 AM 09-04-2013
Ok I have all the supplies to make my binder. Looks like iactually need two binders. Oh well I only have one child and no licencing papers yet.
Familycare71 10:32 AM 09-04-2013
Ok I have all the supplies to make my binder. Looks like iactually need two binders. Oh well I only have one child and no licencing papers yet.
Why two?
Tags:inspection license licensee, licensing rep
Reply Up