Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drawing a Blank
jenboo 09:47 AM 11-14-2013
I need some suggestions for activities for a 12 month old who cant walk and puts everything in his mouth and a 19 month old who is very wild. Its hard to get these two to do an activity without destroying it. I have looked on google and pintrest but haven't found much.

Some of my current ideas are:
Putting pom poms into containers (12m dcb screams because he cant eat them and 19m dcb throws them all over the room)
Paint in baggies taped to the window (lasted 1 min before they ripped them off)
sensory baskets (red basket with red toys, bucket with water and toys, etc)
painting and playdough
coloring with crayons/markers
ramp with cars
outside time

We do a lot of free play/building with legos, etc

I think they are starting to bored and I am too. I need more ideas and I also do not have any extra money to buy anything. currently they spend most of their day dumping out buckets...they were doing good about it last week but we have regressed this week.
jenboo 09:56 AM 11-14-2013
Here is my problem with pinterest and goodle:
when i search infant activities, they are too simple.
When i search toddler activities, they are too old for 12m dcb because they usually include beans, rices and other sensory/manipulative items that he could choke on since he puts everything in his mouth.
DaycareMom 10:04 AM 11-14-2013
Books
Shape sorters
Puppet show
Singing/Dancing
Stacking blocks
Nesting cups
Cars/Trucks/Trains
Obstacle course with pillows
Pointing out body parts

I think at this age, it's important to play with the children - pointing out colors, shapes, etc. Just talking a lot and labeling the world around them.
caregiver 12:01 PM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I need some suggestions for activities for a 12 month old who cant walk and puts everything in his mouth and a 19 month old who is very wild. Its hard to get these two to do an activity without destroying it. I have looked on google and pintrest but haven't found much.

Some of my current ideas are:
Putting pom poms into containers (12m dcb screams because he cant eat them and 19m dcb throws them all over the room)
Paint in baggies taped to the window (lasted 1 min before they ripped them off)
sensory baskets (red basket with red toys, bucket with water and toys, etc)
painting and playdough
coloring with crayons/markers
ramp with cars
outside time

We do a lot of free play/building with legos, etc

I think they are starting to bored and I am too. I need more ideas and I also do not have any extra money to buy anything. currently they spend most of their day dumping out buckets...they were doing good about it last week but we have regressed this week.

Usually a 12 month & a 19 month old do not have the attention span to do any activity that is to complicated. They learn from playing with toys and being read to and just exploring things. Too many parents want their child at even younger then 12 months to do crafts and such and want them to learn colors, shapes, know their abc's. What is wrong with letting kids at this age just learn by playing,and in my experience when a child is this young, I end up doing the crafts for them and they don't even take any interest in doing stuff like this,all they want to do is play.
They want to eat the crayons, throw the crayons,tear the paper,if I put a crayon in their hand,they either try and color on themselves or the table or even try and color the wall. The 2 yr old I have now still isn't into doing activities, she will not sit still to do anything and her attention,well there is none. She rips the paper,is ripping books apart,and just has no interest in doing crafts. When she starts to show interest in doing stuff, then I will let her, but for now it is not worth it and I am not going to waste my money on things that she wrecks or tares apart.
Play dough is not done in my daycare as they do try and eat it,smash into the carpet or table and it just gets all over and they just don't seem to be into the play dough that much.
So just try simple things,play time,read to them,play cars,dolls,tea party,and just let them explore. I think once they are that 3 yr of age,then activities like crafts work better because they understand better and have longer attention spans.
MyAngels 12:12 PM 11-14-2013
Maybe this has some ideas for you?

http://handsonaswegrow.com/50-toddler-activities/
jenboo 12:21 PM 11-14-2013
We do lots of free play, songs, stories, etc. My 19m dcb needs a little more to do or he causes trouble (climbing, hurting other kids, etc). He is advanced physically and mentally.
I dont do crafts with any age...we do open ended art.
i just need a few activities to throw in during the day to catch his interest.
for example, flour in a bucket with measuring cups and spoons.

Ill look over the link, I glanced at it at saw a few good ideas. We have done the one with flour and they loved it.
Michael 02:17 PM 11-14-2013
Try here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...s+-+1+year+old
Laurel 05:55 PM 11-14-2013
Mostly these are for the older child:

-If you already have one of these http://www.amazon.com/Playskool-Busy.../dp/B00DSIQS6G what we like to do is place a small wooden block on them and the block goes flying. Not a lot but it pops off.

-"Paint" with water on a blackboard or the sidewalk outside.

-Since they like to dump anyway show the oldest one at least how to dump from one container into another rather than just dumping on the floor.

-Hand him a ball of yarn to play with. Or take an empty cottage cheese container and put a hole in the lid. Put the ball of yarn inside and thread the yarn through the hole. They will have fun pulling it out.

-ping pong balls are fun if you have a hard floor

-I give mine a baby wipe (not the really wet kind unless you wring it out first) and they 'clean'.

-Give them a basket (or one at a time) of miscellaneous household items to explore. Some that come to mind are rubber bands, post it notes (they love to tear them off), scotch tape to pull out and waste (think dollar store), etc. The younger one could have a basket with different things in it that he couldn't swallow.

Laurel
nothingwithoutjoy 07:12 PM 11-14-2013
Exploring stickiness is very fun at that age. Contac paper taped sticky-side up on the floor to crawl/walk on. Or mounted on a window or wall or easel to stick stuff to.

Clothes pegs (the kind without the spring) are fun to dump and mouth and drop into things and stick onto the edge of a container (we used a tin bucket; the sound of them dropping in was intriguing, too).

Mirrors in intriguing places. For example, I have a rocking boat that flips over to make three steps up and down. There are mirrors on the wall beside it, so crawlers enjoyed crawling up to see themselves.
TwinKristi 08:17 PM 11-14-2013
Maybe an instrument basket? I have a few different instrument toys that make noise and will also talk in Spanish or French mode, do colors, numbers, music... They have drums, guitar, piano, trumpet, shaker...
Do you have a consignment store nearby? Sometimes ours has great deals on toys and Target or KMart clearance dept too. I always look at the clearance toys! LOL
The early learning guy who came for a DCB here with some delays had a coffee can and big mayo plastic jar and cut a hole in the lid and you can use those old checkers, poker/game chips to put inside and then take off, dump out and repeat.
Have you heard of Discovery Toys? I hosted a party years ago when my twins were little and you can earn a lot of free toys and get good deals and if the parts break or you lose one you can get replacement pieces. My neighbor who's also a Daycare provider sells it. I will be getting some stuff from her in Dec at a fundraiser.
Tags:activities - 1 year old
Reply Up