Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Tips For Feeding This Baby!
crazydaycarelady 07:54 AM 03-19-2013
I am so fed up with her!

She does not eat well here and then dcm complains that after a day here dcbaby gets up at night to eat. She is 7mo and eating food and cereal. The ONLY way I can get her to eat food is to sit next to her and whenever she opens her mouth to smile or coo I shove a bite in. This can take a half hour or more for the smallest jar of food. If I attempt to go to faster or pry her lips open with the spoon she screams and food goes everywhere, plus she'll gag and throw up.

She will drink a bottle but only if she is sleeping and not really aware that I am giving it to her.

I have tried putting cereal in the bottle (god forbid I know but I am desperate here!)

This morning I tried the squirt baby food packets. I got a couple of bites in but then she started screaming and spewing food all over.

I have a group home and really just don't have hours to devote to feeding this child like a baby bird. My assistant has no better luck than me.

I don't know what to do!
Evansmom 08:12 AM 03-19-2013
Oh man I feel for you. I had this exact baby before. It's awful!

Is your baby breastfed exclusively at home? Mine was and she eventually refused any bottle or spoon fed food after about 5 months at my home. I tried everything I could think of or read about.

The parent complained to me about night waking too (which I think is unfair) but seriously, I can't do more than what I did and you can't do any more either. You can offer but if the baby won't take it from you then you've done all you can do.
crazydaycarelady 08:17 AM 03-19-2013
She is on breast milk but only drinks it from a bottle, no nursing. She came down with thrush repeatedly so mom gave up on nursing.

I feel like dcm is blaming ME for dcg getting up at night. Apparently when they have her at home all day she sleeps fine. It's not like I am not trying to feed her.
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 03-19-2013
I'd have DCM come to your house and SHOW you EXACTLY how she feeds her.

Have mom demonstrate the method she uses.

If the child eats willingly and happily, then take over from mom while she observes.

I wouldn't simply believe mom is being truthful about the child willingly eating without having to pry her mouth open or without having to sneak bites in.

Have her SHOW you.
daycarediva 09:11 AM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

If the child eats willingly and happily, then take over from mom while she observes.

I wouldn't simply believe mom is being truthful about the child willingly eating without having to pry her mouth open or without having to sneak bites in.

Have her SHOW you.
Mom also has all of the time in the world to feed baby. At home, I guarantee this child can go at her own pace, eat more often and gets Mommy time during meals.

Completely NOT your fault.
KDC 09:12 AM 03-19-2013
At 7 months, I would feel she's just basically learning to eat solids & it's a big change. Some babies do better with textures than others. It shouldn't be forced, just introduced. My little one was the same way, but parents were more understanding. He's 12 months old and eats solids fine, except for fruit, which he still sucks on and spits out because the texture is weird to swallow yet. He'll get there though.

Do they provide you with the bottles? Is the temperature the same as they use (they warm it up?) Is she just distracted by other children (can do it while she's sleeping, may need a quiet corner). I had to hold tight with a sound machine app in a quiet corner to get an ounce down. It was painful.

Find out what kind of schedule they have. I found spending so much time trying to feed when they just weren't hungry, making them and me frustrated and it just exasperates the problem when everyone involved is stressed.

It's not uncommon for a 7 month old to wake up in the night hungry. You can only do so much. It's all about communication. This is what you're able to do in a group setting, if they need more -- the need a NANNY. I think the expectations are too high.
Evansmom 09:12 AM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
She is on breast milk but only drinks it from a bottle, no nursing. She came down with thrush repeatedly so mom gave up on nursing.

I feel like dcm is blaming ME for dcg getting up at night. Apparently when they have her at home all day she sleeps fine. It's not like I am not trying to feed her.
You have the same family I did! I eventually termed sorry to say. But it was so stressful! And so unfair that they blame what's happening during the day to her waking up at night.

The family I had even went so far as to state that they needed DCG to eat so that the mom could get some sleep because she had to be awake to work all day! Really?!

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. I like Blackcat's suggestions. Have the mom show you. That's a great idea to really show the parents how you're working with them on the solution. Then you can verify that you are doing exactly what they are and hopefully it works but if not, you really tried.
Sprouts 09:48 AM 03-19-2013
Some babies just dont want to eat food , the one little girl i watched since 4 months didnt really start to eat unitl almost 10 months -1 year. As long as she is drinking milk she does NOT need to eat food.

And a baby shouldnt even start with cereals, with all of the gluten allergies, many drs. including mine says DO NOT start with cereals, instead just mash up bananas or avocados or any fresh fruit and start from there...she will get her junk food and empty calories later in life, its better to start them off on something healthy.

And honestly trying to pry a child's mouth open with a spoon sounds like torture...on the child's part...thats not a good practice...many children turn quickly and end up having their gums cut ....so please stop that, the child is TELLING you they do not want that, the child doesn't need it either....so sometimes we have to trust the child's reaction.....and read their cues.

I hope that helps.
Patches 10:22 AM 03-19-2013

Have her SHOW you.
This makes perfect sense. I would not be suprised if she shows you how she "tricks" the baby into taking bites, like you do with getting her to smile. Just saying it might take dcm 30 minutes or so to feed her at home and that baby may not even be ready for food. She might need another month or so

If dcm demonstrates for you and the baby still won't eat well for her, I would tell her that you will keep trying to feed her food, but if she refuses, you will not force feed her.

Also, I've been there, I know how stressfull it can be
KBCsMommy 10:37 AM 03-19-2013

Have her SHOW you.
I usually only lurk, but I had a child that was similiar in nature.

If baby is only drinking breast milk from a bottle, it could be the case that dcb only will drink when dcm feeds her.

Also, maybe dcm holds baby a certain way, or maybe doesn't hold her at all.

The dcb I had wouldn't eat at all for me either. I had his mom make the bottle as she would at home and show me exactly what she did. So, when the mom dragged the pack n play and propped it in front of the tv, threw in the boppy pillow and plopped him in there, I immediately knew what the issue was! He didn't like to be held when he ate and he watched tv when he had his bottle!! After that he started eating more and we eventually got him off the tv and laying on the floor in the daycare room to eat his bottle.
crazydaycarelady 01:11 PM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by :
And honestly trying to pry a child's mouth open with a spoon sounds like torture...on the child's part...thats not a good practice...many children turn quickly and end up having their gums cut ....so please stop that, the child is TELLING you they do not want that, the child doesn't need it either....so sometimes we have to trust the child's reaction.....and read their cues.
It's not as if I am prying the child's mouth open with a crowbar. I am holding food to her lips with a rubber coated spoon trying to encourage her to open her mouth.
AfterSchoolMom 01:30 PM 03-19-2013
It could be that the baby just isn't ready to eat solids yet. The last baby I had here didn't eat solids until closer to ten months. It could also be that she doesn't like the strong flavor or the texture of the solids. My own baby prefers his food either mixed in with oatmeal or cereal, or if I skip the baby food altogether and just mash up fruit or veggies. He just doesn't enjoy straight baby food. Oh, and he still gets up at least 2 or 3 nights per week to eat. I think that's normal.

I'd also bet anything that DCM props the bottle at home.

I totally agree with everyone else that you should bring her in, sit her down, and have her show you how she feeds the baby her bottle.
crazydaycarelady 01:34 PM 03-19-2013
Yes, I think I am going to have dcm come over and show me how she does it. She once complained that dcbaby didn't sleep the night before and how did had she napped here. Later on dcdm mentioned that she let her sleep for an hour in the car from 7-8:00p.m. No wonder she didn't go to sleep until 11:30 pm! and how is that my fault! Dcm says that baby eats food at home. She brings me the food to feed here too!
Unregistered 06:29 PM 03-19-2013
Not registered here yet..but my one of my oldest set of twins was a "sleep feeder" meaning he wouldn't drink his bottles awake..he ended up being diagnosed with laryngomalacia and severe gerd and had to see a feeding therapist for a year.just a thought.this baby sounds like him a lot.hes 3 now and perfectly normal.you would never know he ha any problems.
Tags:7 month old, eating issues, feeding, feeding therapist, therapist
Reply Up