Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dress Code Question
Unregistered 06:55 AM 12-31-2014
I encountered something this morning that I haven't seen before. One of my kids showed up wearing the new shirt he got for xmas. It's a shirt bearing the logo of a rock band. There's nothing inherintly wrong with the shirt. There's not profanity but I'm familiar enough with the band to know that it's not something an almost-two-year-old should be exposed to. It makes me uncomfortable because I'm not sure what other parents are going to say. Am I really gonna have to add a caveat to my dress code that bans this kind of thing?
Unregistered 07:13 AM 12-31-2014
No just turn the shirt inside out and make the child wear it that way until close to pick up time then just turn the shirt the right way right before his parents pick him up. Easy fix!
Leigh 07:23 AM 12-31-2014
The other kids obviously don't know what you do about the band. I wouldn't worry about it. What band's logo would be so offensive, anyway?
Unregistered 07:29 AM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
The other kids obviously don't know what you do about the band. I wouldn't worry about it. What band's logo would be so offensive, anyway?
Sorry. This is going to be short. Trying to get everyone down for a nap.

The band is called Slipknot. The shirt isn't bad, but the band itself is one of those bands that don't sing so much as scream about the devil. I'm more worried about other parents than the kids.
Leigh 07:35 AM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Sorry. This is going to be short. Trying to get everyone down for a nap.

The band is called Slipknot. The shirt isn't bad, but the band itself is one of those bands that don't sing so much as scream about the devil. I'm more worried about other parents than the kids.
I hate Slipknot, too. I doubt that parents would freak out over just a logo, but if there are photos of the band or anything like that, I would ask the parents not to send the shirt to daycare anymore. I could see photos of that band freaking a kid out!
Unregistered 07:39 AM 12-31-2014
I hate Slipknot, too. I doubt that parents would freak out over just a logo, but if there are photos of the band or anything like that, I would ask the parents not to send the shirt to daycare anymore. I could see photos of that band freaking a kid out!
Oh. Dear. God.

I didn't know what they looked like, so I had to google them. That can't be unseen.
lovemykidstoo 07:43 AM 12-31-2014
I wouldn't worry about it either. Most of the parents probably wouldn't even pay attention anyway and the kids have no clue most likely.
Leigh 07:48 AM 12-31-2014
Oh. Dear. God.

I didn't know what they looked like, so I had to google them. That can't be unseen.
Pretty over-the-top, aren't they? I wouldn't be concerned about a shirt with just their name, but I honestly could see the shirt causing nightmares in some kids if their picture was on it!
daycare 07:54 AM 12-31-2014
I would just play dumb if any of the parents questioned it. THen I would probably change the kids shirt, turn it inside out and then the parents know that they can't wear that to DC anymore.
Controlled Chaos 08:09 AM 12-31-2014
I wouldn't worry about it. Unless the graphic on the T shirt was actually frightening or bothersome. My DH's friends think its hilarious to get their friends' babies onsies and shirts with their favorite bands on it. If other parents know the band they are free to laugh or role their eyes. I have turned a toddlers zombie shirt inside out before and told the parents it was too scary for the little ones. They didn't send the child in that shirt again.
DaveA 08:18 AM 12-31-2014
Slipknot? How old is this kid?

I wouldn't be too worried about it if it's just the band's name, but don't be surprised if a parent that knows who they are says something. If they do, they you can ask DCP to not have them wear it to your house again.
Unregistered 08:37 AM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
Slipknot? How old is this kid?

I wouldn't be too worried about it if it's just the band's name, but don't be surprised if a parent that knows who they are says something. If they do, they you can ask DCP to not have them wear it to your house again.
He'll be two next month. Mom is...interesting. Pierced eyebrow, but nothing else visible. Bright red hair. Lucille Ball red, not firetruck red. She does something with computers. Makes websites maybe? Educated and well-spoken, but just odd.
_Dana_ 09:21 AM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I wouldn't worry about it. Unless the graphic on the T shirt was actually frightening or bothersome. My DH's friends think its hilarious to get their friends' babies onsies and shirts with their favorite bands on it. If other parents know the band they are free to laugh or role their eyes. I have turned a toddlers zombie shirt inside out before and told the parents it was too scary for the little ones. They didn't send the child in that shirt again.
I don't see anything wrong with the shirt either.
Blackcat31 09:45 AM 12-31-2014
Slip Knot singing about the devil?

I don't think so....

I AM a HUGE Slip Knot/Stone Sour fan and as a parent would be pissed if I sent my kid in a shirt and he came home with it "censored".

If the daycare provider or center had an issue with what I put on my child, I would expect a private discussion about it verses just finagling my kids' clothing inside/out.

If none of the kids in your program can read, I wouldn't worry about it and if you are worried the child will wear any more clothing that is controversial, then take a moment to talk privately with the parent about it.

Most these kids are exposed to far more negative and "nightmare" inducing things to worry about than a tee shirt with a band logo on it.
melilley 09:50 AM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I don't think so....

I AM a HUGE Slip Knot/Stone Sour fan and as a parent would be pissed if I sent my kid in a shirt and he came home with it "censored".

If the daycare provider or center had an issue with what I put on my child, I would expect a private discussion about it verses just finagling my kids' clothing inside/out.

If none of the kids in your program can read, I wouldn't worry about it and if you are worried the child will wear any more clothing that is controversial, then take a moment to talk privately with the parent about it.

Most these kids are exposed to far more negative and "nightmare" inducing things to worry about than a tee shirt with a band logo on it.

I like those bands too, and many like them! Maybe it's just me, but I can understand most of what they say.

OP, I could see if there were pictures on the shirt because they do look scary/weird (there actually is a reason for that too), but other than that, I wouldn't care.
daycarediva 09:57 AM 12-31-2014
I have a kid that wears a bunch of 'different' shirts. Most of them even HE doesn't get the reference for. One was a Dunder Mifflin shirt (The office). The only one I ever censored was the one where it said "I'm this many" and it was 2 middle fingers. and then ONLY because the kids were trying to imitate the fingers.

My own kids wear ACDC, Metallica, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith. My 6 year old has a GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS tshirt (he's a tad girl crazy, loves that song and my step father bought it as a joke, but he lovessss it of course) My 15 year old wears a tshirt that I was given by friends in a famous band with a weed leaf on it. No, she does not (has never) smoked.

I do have a dress code, it's for weather, jewelry, and proper fitting clothing.
Sugaree 10:32 AM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have a kid that wears a bunch of 'different' shirts. Most of them even HE doesn't get the reference for. One was a Dunder Mifflin shirt (The office). The only one I ever censored was the one where it said "I'm this many" and it was 2 middle fingers. and then ONLY because the kids were trying to imitate the fingers.

My own kids wear ACDC, Metallica, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith. My 6 year old has a GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS tshirt (he's a tad girl crazy, loves that song and my step father bought it as a joke, but he lovessss it of course) My 15 year old wears a tshirt that I was given by friends in a famous band with a weed leaf on it. No, she does not (has never) smoked.

I do have a dress code, it's for weather, jewelry, and proper fitting clothing.

HAHAHAHA. The "I'm This Many" shirt is a Disturbed shirt. I looked at it for my kid. Of course, I get side-eyed for sending my kid in wearing Grateful Dead shirts, so I passed on that one. I would like to know where mom's finding this stuff. I'm finding that if it's not "classic rock" (and since when is Nirvana classic rock?) or infant onesies I can't find anything in the bands I like.
Sugaree 10:33 AM 12-31-2014
And to add: if a provider wants to censor music shirts then I expect it to be accross the board. If you want to say no Slipknot shirts then that should also apply to Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, and that unfortunate looking little girl, Justin Beiber.
Blackcat31 10:47 AM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by Sugaree:
And to add: if a provider wants to censor music shirts then I expect it to be accross the board. If you want to say no Slipknot shirts then that should also apply to Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, and that unfortunate looking little girl, Justin Beiber.

Blackcat31 11:03 AM 12-31-2014
HAHAHAHA. The "I'm This Many" shirt is a Disturbed shirt. I looked at it for my kid. Of course, I get side-eyed for sending my kid in wearing Grateful Dead shirts, so I passed on that one. I would like to know where mom's finding this stuff. I'm finding that if it's not "classic rock" (and since when is Nirvana classic rock?) or infant onesies I can't find anything in the bands I like.
Yeah, I would not call Nirvana classic rock either

If you are looking for cute baby onsies/t's with rock band logos...check some of these sites.

http://www.shop.musictoday.com/Store...19_42469_42539

http://www.stylinonline.com/snap-sui...tid=6072994461

http://www.punkbabyclothes.net/shop/...cPath=21_57_39
daycarediva 11:04 AM 12-31-2014

I buy a lot of tshirts from Etsy, Hot topic and a local shop.
lovemykidstoo 11:08 AM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:

I like those bands too, and many like them! Maybe it's just me, but I can understand most of what they say.

OP, I could see if there were pictures on the shirt because they do look scary/weird (there actually is a reason for that too), but other than that, I wouldn't care.

The boys I have now would probably LOVE those weird costumes they were hahaha!!
melilley 11:11 AM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
The boys I have now would probably LOVE those weird costumes they were hahaha!!

Lol!
I guess it's in their contract that they have to wear the costumes, so they do. I guess it works because they make the moolah....lol I forget what dh said, but that sounds about right.
Sugaree 11:13 AM 12-31-2014
Yeah, I would not call Nirvana classic rock either

If you are looking for cute baby onsies/t's with rock band logos...check some of these sites.

http://www.shop.musictoday.com/Store...19_42469_42539

http://www.stylinonline.com/snap-sui...tid=6072994461

http://www.punkbabyclothes.net/shop/...cPath=21_57_39

Thanks! As a PSA: I bought the outfit DS came home from the hospital in at punkbabyclothes.net. It was super cute (Daddy loves me more than zombies love brains), but didn't hold up very well in the wash. Not that it matters in infant sizes, but in larger sizes it's kind of a bummer for the screen print to come off after 9 or 10 washes.
melilley 11:18 AM 12-31-2014
My ds had a Metallica and a Clutch onesie! I thought they were super cute!
Has anyone heard of Clutch? Just curious.
Controlled Chaos 11:25 AM 12-31-2014
My ds had a Metallica and a Clutch onesie! I thought they were super cute!
Has anyone heard of Clutch? Just curious.
Has anyone heard of Clutch? Is that a serious question

melilley 11:27 AM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Has anyone heard of Clutch? Is that a serious question
Lol! My dh is in love with them He has been to 90 concerts! I had never heard of them before I met him!
daycare 11:32 AM 12-31-2014

I don't think so....

our dc rules are a direct reflection of the public school system. If my child wore something that was offensive or out of dress code I should say, they would be given two option. Turn it inside out or change it.

My daughter wore a billabong shirt to school one day that only said BONG, she came home in her PE clothes. Of course, these kids can read, so it is a tad different, but I agree that if it is not within dress code and could offend someone, I would do just as the school dist and have them change it in some way that it could not be an issue.
Controlled Chaos 12:31 PM 12-31-2014
Lol! My dh is in love with them He has been to 90 concerts! I had never heard of them before I met him!
I actually only know them because of my dh too and I can't escape them now lol there is no escape...
NightOwl 12:59 PM 12-31-2014

I don't think so....

We completely agree on something!?!
The first several posts here made me think, oh I'm gonna offend someone if i comment. I think it's ADORABLE for littles to wear concert type t shirts. My own had a Metallica, an AC/DC, a Beetles, one from Vegas that said I drink until I pass out, and one that had 4 baby blocks on the front with the letters P.I.M.P. No, he'd never wear those to school. He was under 2 for all of those. They were fine for daycare and everyone got a good laugh out of the last two. He was the only boy in the nursery for a long time, so the pimp one was super popular. If he had one with some scary graphic or a truly offensive gesture like the "I'm this many" shirt, I wouldn't send him in that because I wouldn't want to scare the others or offend anyone.
Meeko 01:02 PM 12-31-2014
Uummm...I had not heard of these guys so I looked on You Tube. A video called the Devil in me(or I) and one called snuff.

Without a doubt some of the most disturbing things I have seen in a very long time. And once the "music" started, I turned down the volume. The awful images were more than enough to churn my stomach.

I don't get why people have to do that kind of thing. Ripping faces off is entertainment???????

....and for a CHILD???????????? I am beyond horrified to think the child may see these images at home.
NightOwl 01:02 PM 12-31-2014
And for what it's worth, piercings and different hair colors and tattoos, etc, are becoming mainstream. So I really wouldn't make a judgement on the mom as being "different" or "odd". She's just expressing herself.
daycare 01:08 PM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Uummm...I had not heard of these guys so I looked on You Tube. A video called the Devil in me(or I) and one called snuff.

Without a doubt some of the most disturbing things I have seen in a very long time. And once the "music" started, I turned down the volume. The awful images were more than enough to churn my stomach.

I don't get why people have to do that kind of thing. Ripping faces off is entertainment???????

....and for a CHILD???????????? I am beyond horrified to think the child may see these images at home.
I did the same as you and looked it up... I was jaw dropped...
NightOwl 01:16 PM 12-31-2014
BUT it's just a t shirt. Wearing the shirt doesn't mean he's listening to the music or watching the videos. It's possible, but not likely.
Meeko 01:16 PM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
And for what it's worth, piercings and different hair colors and tattoos, etc, are becoming mainstream. So I really wouldn't make a judgement on the mom as being "different" or "odd". She's just expressing herself.
I have a mom who loves to wear wild clothes and her hair changes color several times a month. Doesn't bother me one bit that she is expressing herself.

But the crap I saw in those videos for a few moments was really, really sick. I wish I could un-see it. I skipped through to see if they got better....nope.

Everybody has a right to like different music. I love opera and hate jazz. Many are the opposite and I can respect that.

But total depravity as "entertainment"? I cannot see the appeal.
daycare 01:17 PM 12-31-2014
BUT it's just a t shirt. Wearing the shirt doesn't mean he's listening to the music or watching the videos. It's possible, but not likely.
very true...I am not saying it relates to the shirt in anyway..

I will admit that I am sure I have heard it on my music line up on my phone for my workout.
Moparmommy 01:22 PM 12-31-2014

I don't think so....

Slipknot isn't satanic. If it's just the name or a logo, no biggie. Both of my kids had slipknot and other band shirts and wore them all time. They are one of our favorite bands, not that I'll take my kids to their concert, but we listen to their music all the time. Yes, their appearance is shocking, but they aren't on the shirt. I'd let it go.
Meeko 01:28 PM 12-31-2014
I grew up hearing The Platters, Elvis etc because my parents loved it (OK..giving my age away!) I know most kids grow up having listened to their parents music. I would assume this child is no different.
Blackcat31 01:46 PM 12-31-2014

The "Devil in I" is about each persons internal struggles to be the person they want to be and the things that drag them down. Each of us has our own devil inside.

"Snuff" Comes from a popular term Snuff the Rooster...meaning removing the rooster from the hen house. This song was written about the lead singers ex and the deterioration of their relationship.

There are much deeper and more complex descriptions but that ^^ is basically the gist of it.

Like many other hard rock or metal bands, the first impressions are satanic or demonic but like all art, it is open to interpretation and everything is usually a metaphor for something else.

On a side note, if you want to see how good of an artist the singer of Slip Knot is, check out this video: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...7143C9381BF23F
Blackcat31 01:49 PM 12-31-2014
Oh, and I very rarely watch the videos of any of the music I listen to.

I am PRE-MTV age (it premiered in my late high school years) and when videos came along, the visuals kind of ruined my ideas and impressions of the music itself.
daycare 01:53 PM 12-31-2014
Oh, and I very rarely watch the videos of any of the music I listen to.

I am PRE-MTV age (it got premiered in my late high school years) and when videos came along, the visuals kind of ruined my ideas and impressions of the music itself.
I am like you in that I don't watch music videos and I more often than not don't even know who sang the songs..
Meeko 01:57 PM 12-31-2014
The "Devil in I" is about each persons internal struggles to be the person they want to be and the things that drag them down. Each of us has our own devil inside.

"Snuff" Comes from a popular term Snuff the Rooster...meaning removing the rooster from the hen house. This song was written about the lead singers ex and the deterioration of their relationship.

There are much deeper and more complex descriptions but that ^^ is basically the gist of it.

Like many other hard rock or metal bands, the first impressions are satanic or demonic but like all art, it is open to interpretation and everything is usually a metaphor for something else.

On a side note, if you want to see how good of an artist the singer of Slip Knot is, check out this video: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...7143C9381BF23F
I can certainly appreciate the fact that maybe there are hidden messages in their songs. But if watching the video....a child is not going to understand that. They are going to watch a face being ripped off.
Meeko 02:13 PM 12-31-2014
Makes me wonder what's next.......onesies with **** stars? Two year old t-shirts depicting beheadings?

I can only assume that someone will find it cute and funny.
midaycare 02:27 PM 12-31-2014
Reading this makes me realize how out of touch musically I am. Slip knot is a type of knot and clutch is a purse in my vocabulary. My favorite music comes from the singer of Owl City, but I doubt anyone would be offended by him.
Cradle2crayons 02:31 PM 12-31-2014
I'm not bothered by many graphics etc on shirts at daycare.

However, my kids public school doesn't allow any concert type shirts, shirts with alcoholic etc advertising, etc type shirts.

They also don't allow muscle shirts, t back or sleeveless shirts, or even plain white t shirts.
Blackcat31 02:35 PM 12-31-2014
I can certainly appreciate the fact that maybe there are hidden messages in their songs. But if watching the video....a child is not going to understand that. They are going to watch a face being ripped off.
Yes, but this wasn't about watching videos...it was just about the logo on a shirt.

I totally hear where your are coming from and to a point agree with you but I am HUGE on not-censoring things in "most" cases. Like gun control...it's better to educate than eradicate.

Besides, we (atleast my generation) grew up watching lots of heads being ripped, shot or chopped off and we all turned out fine
Attached: thUVS6IJ34.jpg (7.9 KB) th (5).jpg (6.2 KB) 
daycare 02:44 PM 12-31-2014
Yes, but this wasn't about watching videos...it was just about the logo on a shirt.

I totally hear where your are coming from and to a point agree with you but I am HUGE on not-censoring things in "most" cases. Like gun control...it's better to educate than eradicate.

Besides, we (atleast my generation) grew up watching lots of heads being ripped, shot or chopped off and we all turned out fine
wow that is a great example.....so morbid those cartoons were...lol

I loved tom and jerry... there was no weird voice needed for this cartoon to translate because they did not talk in this show...

I do recall how aggressive this show was, even as a kid I knew it was wrong, but I didn't dream of trying or even thinking to day those things. I feared my parents.

I don't think kids today think twice about repeating behavior as much because it seems a lot of parents don't set consequences in place for their actions.

I don't know what the other show is...but wow gun to the head and blew it off. that is something I would never allow my kids to see.
midaycare 02:51 PM 12-31-2014

I always hated the violence in those cartoons, even growing up. Yuck!
Meeko 03:02 PM 12-31-2014
I guess I really am an old f@rt! Tom and Jerry were violent for sure....but nothing like the grotesque stuff kids are subjected to nowadays.
Josiegirl 03:03 PM 12-31-2014
Stone Sour??? OMG this is one of my favorite tunes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBfb3IFhu9o
Blackcat31 03:13 PM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Stone Sour??? OMG this is one of my favorite tunes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBfb3IFhu9o
Yes, half the Slip Knot band members (including the lead singer) is also Stone Sour.

So they play and record two TOTALLY different types of music.
NightOwl 03:30 PM 12-31-2014
I LOVE Stone Sour. I believe discussing music genres is akin to discussing politics. No one will ever completely agree. I get that kids usually listen to the same music as their parents. I'm sure you're right about that, Meeko. But personally, I censor what my kids hear depending on their age and maturity and I hope these parents do also. I like Iggy Azalea and Eminem, but I don't let my 6 year olds listen to their music. But if I saw a cute Eminem t shirt for him? I'd buy it.
Josiegirl 04:00 PM 12-31-2014
I LOVE Stone Sour. I believe discussing music genres is akin to discussing politics. No one will ever completely agree. I get that kids usually listen to the same music as their parents. I'm sure you're right about that, Meeko. But personally, I censor what my kids hear depending on their age and maturity and I hope these parents do also. I like Iggy Azalea and Eminem, but I don't let my 6 year olds listen to their music. But if I saw a cute Eminem t shirt for him? I'd buy it.
I about dropped my jaw the other night when my 24 yo dd confessed to listening to Neil Diamond.
Unregistered 06:33 PM 12-31-2014
Woah. I didn't mean to start a war. I did ask that the shirt not be worn again. Don't think mom was too happy, but didn't argue. If it becomes a problem I'll just ban all band shirts.
AuntTami 07:05 PM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Reading this makes me realize how out of touch musically I am. Slip knot is a type of knot and clutch is a purse in my vocabulary. My favorite music comes from the singer of Owl City, but I doubt anyone would be offended by him.
I LOVE the song fireflies!
SignMeUp 07:17 PM 12-31-2014
I'm still trying to figure out what "**** stars" means
NightOwl 07:24 PM 12-31-2014
Woah. I didn't mean to start a war. I did ask that the shirt not be worn again. Don't think mom was too happy, but didn't argue. If it becomes a problem I'll just ban all band shirts.
Honestly, I don't know why it was a problem in the first place. But to each, his own. I hope mom is understanding and respectful of your wishes.
Meeko 09:56 PM 12-31-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
I'm still trying to figure out what "**** stars" means
I typed p.0.r.n. stars and forgot it blocks that word
SignMeUp 10:21 PM 12-31-2014
Oh. Duh.
I guess I just don't relate it to onesies
Blackcat31 08:34 AM 01-01-2015
Oh, no worries!

No one is "fighting" or arguing.... it's all good.

Discussions like these happen frequently from simple posts. Often with no hints or clues that the original post will morph the way it does....

But like I said, it's all good. These kinds of discussions are ALWAYS educational, beneficial and a great read!

Helps all of us check our perspectives and consider other opinions/ideas and thoughts.

ALL positive things.
AuntTami 09:54 AM 01-01-2015
Oh, no worries!

No one is "fighting" or arguing.... it's all good.

Discussions like these happen frequently from simple posts. Often with no hints or clues that the original post will morph the way it does....

But like I said, it's all good. These kinds of discussions are ALWAYS educational, beneficial and a great read!

Helps all of us check our perspectives and consider other opinions/ideas and thoughts.

ALL positive things.
Think of these conversations as debates. No one is really arguing or mad at each other, we're just debating the topic.

I Enjoy reading everyone's difference in opinions on topics like these. These are my favorite conversations to read because theres so much variance in the way everyone thinks and runs their business but at the end, we all have the same goal. To provide a safe, educational daycare for the children we care for and its that common goal that keeps us all as a unit.

It's the tie that binds us!
NightOwl 10:12 AM 01-01-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Think of these conversations as debates. No one is really arguing or mad at each other, we're just debating the topic.

I Enjoy reading everyone's difference in opinions on topics like these. These are my favorite conversations to read because theres so much variance in the way everyone thinks and runs their business but at the end, we all have the same goal. To provide a safe, educational daycare for the children we care for and its that common goal that keeps us all as a unit.

It's the tie that binds us!
Very well said!
renodeb 04:27 PM 01-01-2015
I would just play dumb.
Deb
Tags:dress code
Reply Up