Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Payment Options
tenderhearts 04:00 PM 01-09-2020
So I think I discovered today that I am old school in how I receive payments even though non of my parents have every said anything. So I was wondering the ways you receive payment from your parents that does not charge you a fee that is easy. I was told about Venmo and Cash? anyone familiar or have any other ones you use that you like?
Pandaluver21 05:22 PM 01-09-2020
Many banks have Zelle, I like it and it's free. I also have used facebook pay, also free.
Blackcat31 06:26 PM 01-09-2020
I use Zelle
Love it!
Annalee 06:33 PM 01-09-2020
What’s the difference between Zelle and Venmo? Do either Charge a fee? Thanks
tenderhearts 06:37 PM 01-09-2020
I haven't heard of Zelle, I'd like to know the difference as well. Also do you offer just one of these or do you accept many? I feel like I would offer one and if they don't want to do it then they would need to just write a check.
Cat Herder 04:43 AM 01-10-2020
My clients pay through autopay on KidKare.
Annalee 05:08 AM 01-10-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
My clients pay through autopay on KidKare.
My brother used venmo when his kids were in college and several daycares use it around here. Right now, all pay with check or cash but I know checks will gradually become extinct. I give each parent a receipt regardless of how the pay. I just think I need to come up with another option as times are changing.
Blackcat31 06:04 AM 01-10-2020
I was also told Zelle or Venmo as a great way to get timely payments electronically.

I downloaded both apps. I went with Zelle as they had the easiest sign up option. lol!

Venmo could possibly have something Zelle offers but I don't know....I was too lazy to follow through with the sign up process since I had already completed the process via Zelle so I just went that route.

So far it's worked great and I have gotten immediate payments even when I am closed so that is nice.

The ONLY down fall I've come across so far is that I have 2 parents that bank at a small local bank and that bank doesn't participate with Zelle.

If you go to the Zelle website on your PC (not the app) you can look up any bank to see if it participates with Zelle or not.
Cat Herder 08:30 AM 01-10-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My brother used venmo when his kids were in college and several daycares use it around here. Right now, all pay with check or cash but I know checks will gradually become extinct. I give each parent a receipt regardless of how the pay. I just think I need to come up with another option as times are changing.
I like kidkare because it auto invoices, emails statements, direct deposits, records it on the tax forms and w-10's for me. Very little work for me. I give one receipt per year in January with one click to the printer. It is $1 per payment and I can choose to pay it or have the client pay it. The program is $8 a month and also does all meal counts, time/space and expense reports. I literally keep no paper records anymore until I print in January for my accountant. I don't need to. I can edit invoices easily (recurring invoices), it really is a win-win for me.
Cat Herder 08:40 AM 01-10-2020
Oh, it also does all enrollment forms and attendance. I almost forgot to mention that. I don't use the food program so don't bother with the menu sections, the rest of the program is just really useful to me.
dolores 08:41 AM 01-10-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I like kidkare because it auto invoices, emails statements, direct deposits, records it on the tax forms and w-10's for me. Very little work for me. I give one receipt per year in January with one click to the printer. It is $1 per payment and I can choose to pay it or have the client pay it. The program is $8 a month and also does all meal counts, time/space and expense reports. I literally keep no paper records anymore until I print in January for my accountant. I don't need to. I can edit invoices easily (recurring invoices), it really is a win-win for me.
This is EXACTLY what I need! I actually have KidKare for free via my food program sponsor to enter meal attendance however all the other functions you've mentioned here are disabled. Oh well, you get what you pay for! I am thinking now to obtain my own KidKare subscription so I can do everything you are.

I've been using Quickbooks (very expensive!)which sends an invoice to parents' inboxes, they click pay button, enter bank account info and voila! I get paid. Does KidKare invoicing/payment work the same? How long have you been using it?
jenboo 08:41 AM 01-10-2020
Venmo cannot be used for business. They state it in their agreement. If there is ever a discrepancy with a payment, they will side with the parent because you broke their terms of service. Also, Parents can take back payments after the transition.

I use kinderlime as invoice through there. I have the option of having the parents pay the transaction fee so it's free for me if they pay online. I still accept checks and cash for those who do not want to pay online.
Cat Herder 08:53 AM 01-10-2020
Originally Posted by dolores:
This is EXACTLY what I need! I actually have KidKare for free via my food program sponsor to enter meal attendance however all the other functions you've mentioned here are disabled. Oh well, you get what you pay for! I am thinking now to obtain my own KidKare subscription so I can do everything you are.

I've been using Quickbooks (very expensive!)which sends an invoice to parents' inboxes, they click pay button, enter bank account info and voila! I get paid. Does KidKare invoicing/payment work the same? How long have you been using it?
I started using it back in 2009, I believe when it was MMK Pro. It sends the parents an invoice, saves their payment info and gives them a quick "approve payment" option. They do it on the porch if they forgot to do it over the weekend before drop-off on Mondays. No pay, no stay. Credit cards tend to go into my account on Wednesdays, ACH on Thursdays, all available in my account by Friday. (my bank holds 24 hours)

There were a few problems when they made the ownership change a couple of years ago, but I have not had one glitch since I changed to Saturday invoicing. When I did it on Mondays, it always got messed up due to holidays and glitches it seemed. It took so much stress off of me I gained about 10 hours a month back to my life in paperwork alone.
tenderhearts 01:21 PM 01-10-2020
I am really interested in using Zelle, do you get immediate payment or do you have to withdraw it like venmo to your account? Also what type of a reciept do you get for that? Since I do checks I am able to document the check number and the amount of payment? thanks
tenderhearts 09:45 PM 01-13-2020
I was wondering if anyone who uses Zelle can tell me if you get some type of a receipt with payments or how you document when your parent pays with zelle like a tracking way??
Blackcat31 07:42 AM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I was wondering if anyone who uses Zelle can tell me if you get some type of a receipt with payments or how you document when your parent pays with zelle like a tracking way??
Payment is immediate into my checking account.

I get a notification from Zelle when someone pays and I get a text message as well so two notices.

In the Zelle app on my phone it has an option to see activity. It tells who paid, what and when.

I just record it in KidKare as I always have and then at the end of the year I print out a W10 with the total. Easy peasy.

I also hand write receipts it a parent requests it.

So far in my experience Zelle is by far the easiest and least confusing method of being paid outside of being handed cash.
tenderhearts 01:27 PM 01-14-2020
Thank you for the information! Definitely looking more into this one. I didn't like what I heard about venmo that your money went into a venmo account then you had to transfer it to your bank account which takes an additional few days.
sunshst 08:14 PM 01-20-2020
I take both Venmo and Zelle. Prefer Venmo actually. If payment is received before 12 pm I will usually get it in my account the same day after I transfer it to my checking from Venmo free of charge.
tenderhearts 09:13 AM 01-21-2020
Thank you, I would use venmo however a few people have indicated it can take up to 3 -4 days to go into your checking account after transferring from venmo. I'll find out more. thanks for the information.
Msdunny 09:25 AM 01-21-2020
I wish I could use Zelle, but my credit union doesn't have that option. I have started using KidKare this year. It is taking me a while to get used to the time payments take to go through, depending on how parents pay (bank draft or credit card), but otherwise I love the system.
Blackcat31 09:30 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I wish I could use Zelle, but my credit union doesn't have that option. I have started using KidKare this year. It is taking me a while to get used to the time payments take to go through, depending on how parents pay (bank draft or credit card), but otherwise I love the system.
My credit union doesn't have that option either BUT I am still able to accept payments from parents that do have banks that participate so check into that.

ONLY one party needs to have a bank that participates and it doesn't have to be the recipient of funds. I get them deposited in my account immediately.
Msdunny 09:33 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My credit union doesn't have that option either BUT I am still able to accept payments from parents that do have banks that participate so check into that.

ONLY one party needs to have a bank that participates and it doesn't have to be the recipient of funds. I get them deposited in my account immediately.
Unfortunately, 3 of my 4 families are also with the local credit union, so it wouldn't work. I will keep that in my back pocket for future families, though! Thanks for the information, BC
Blackcat31 09:52 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
Unfortunately, 3 of my 4 families are also with the local credit union, so it wouldn't work. I will keep that in my back pocket for future families, though! Thanks for the information, BC
Those that bank at the same bank as me just do account to account transfers so I don't need to use Zelle for those clients.
Tags:direct deposit, kidkare - invoices, payment options, venmo, zelle
Reply Up