Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Shocked...
Hunni Bee 05:34 PM 02-17-2011
So I go to get one of my 3yo's up from nap today and there's what appears to be blood all over his sheet on his mat. I know he didnt have anything red at lunch to day, and he didnt fall. On closer examination, it IS blood. Trying to keep from panicking, I check his nose and mouth. Nothing. Then I notice the inside of his ear is caked in dried blood. He doesnt seem to be in any pain, so I call his mother, who also works at a ccc, while he eats snack. The chewing makes the blood run onto his shoulder. I cover it with a tissue and call his mother again...no answer.

Long story short, it takes them almost TWO hours to come and pick the child up, with my director calling them every twenty minutes. She told them on the last call that we were going to take him to the ER, and they miraculously pulled up. His aunt then tells my director that his mother allowed him to JUMP OFF THE BED with a Q-TIP IN HIS EAR last night. Nothing was said about this at drop-off this morning. What's worse, he probably PUCTURED HIS EARDRUM and they did not take him to the ER!

Really disturbed.
jessrlee 05:40 PM 02-17-2011
Wow! I sure hope he is ok!
Candyland 07:55 PM 02-17-2011
document! I would hate to hear that this mom makes an accusation that this happened at your school!
Abigail 08:38 PM 02-17-2011
OMG Poor child!
Little People 03:23 AM 02-18-2011
When I read things like this that happen to a child at home and a parent ignores her most precious child, makes me so upset. That child could loose his hearing because a parent probably DID NOT want to take off from work to take her child to the doctor. I sometimes wonder if some parents are brain dead or just plain stupid.

I hope that poor little guy is ok!
Danielle 03:25 AM 02-18-2011
How scary for you. But don't be so hard on the parents. How were they to know it was going to start bleeding? Also just want to say that a perforated ear drum does not require a ER visit. My son has one right now. Monday he screamed when water got in his ear, I checked it with my otoscope and saw the hole. He just happened to have a checkup that afternoon and the doctor confirmed it. It'll heal itself. I was told to come back if it seems to be bothering him b/c he can get ear infections easier. But just the fact that it's perforated isn't an emergency. Perforated ear drums can happen many ways...my son's was from an ear infection.
E Daycare 04:17 AM 02-18-2011
Still, for peace of mind, we wouldve been at the hospital ASAP. Call me hyper, but when DS was 5 mo old DH fell down the stairs with him. My son had a fractured skull and a bruised brain from a fall from the 2nd to last stair. It was a small fall and my DS didnt seem bothered but holy crap did it bother us. Glad we had it checked out. That was over a year ago, DS is fine (sometimes too fine lol) but they really shouldve informed the provider.

I mean come on!
countrymom 05:12 AM 02-18-2011
that would have freaked me out, but then it would have turned to anger because I couldn't hold of anyone.
DCMomOf3 05:20 AM 02-18-2011
Having a child bleed from the ear then the parents not telling you what happened when you called before becoming unreachable would not be okay to me. I would be upset at that no doubt.
SilverSabre25 11:59 AM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
that would have freaked me out, but then it would have turned to anger because I couldn't hold of anyone.
Yep, that, most definitely. Sorry you had to deal with that! Hope he's okay...
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 02-18-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Yep, that, most definitely. Sorry you had to deal with that! Hope he's okay...
Yep, my issue would have been the non reachable parent!
dEHmom 12:06 PM 02-18-2011
bleeding from the head is not normal!

Although it may just be a perforated ear drum, it's still a head injury and should be checked out at the very least. There could be pain this child is experiencing, risk of infection, or maybe worse?!

I am not a doctor and won't pretend to be. But I would at least have parents call the childs doctor and say "this is what happened, is there any reason to worry? What should we do?"
Missani 12:23 PM 02-18-2011
This just happened to my son two weeks ago. I gave him a bath, put his pajamas on, and got his toothbrush ready to brush his teeth. While I was doing this, he ran into his room. He came out (not 30 seconds later) with blood all over his hand and "gushing" out of his ear! It really does come out faster when they talk, eat, brush their teeth! He said he didn't stick anything in there, and he's usually pretty reliable, but we still have no idea.

Of course it was 7:30 on a Sunday night, but I called the pediatrician's on call service. They said it wasn't an emergency but to bring him in the next day. I put him to bed and there was a lot of blood all over his sheets and pillow the next morning.

I took him in and they don't know what happened. He didn't have an ear infection. They didn't see a cut or scrape in his ear. They assume he perforated his ear drum, but they couldn't confirm that either because he had wax in his ear canal that blocked seeing the entire ear drum, and they didn't want to try to remove the wax or poke anything into his ear since it was still bleeding. Anyway, they prescribed antibiotic drops and told us to come back in 2-3 weeks. When we bring him in, they will remove the wax and take a look at the ear drum to make sure it has healed if it was perforated.

Crazy! I hadn't seen anything like it before. I have seen puss/mucous tinged with blood come out of an infected ear with perforation before, but never this. Anyway, I'm sure the child will be fine, but I do understand that it is an alarming circumstance when it happens!
Hunni Bee 04:10 PM 02-18-2011
Yeah he seemed fine the whole time! He never cried or even got upset because of the blood. And I dont know too much about punctured ear drum, but what upset me is a three-yea-old boy suddenly has blood gushing from his ear and the parent didnt notify us or make an effort to quickly pick the child up. We have a thirty minute pick-up policy for sick kids, and we do take into consideration where the parent works, whether they have access to transportation, etc. We will even take the child to the parent if necessary. But waiting over an hour and a half is negligent to me.
QualiTcare 07:00 PM 02-18-2011
kids def. need medical attention anytime blood is coming from their ears. for future reference...if a child falls and hits their head and you're not sure if you should react bc you don't want to overreact - aside from their eyes rolling, blood from the ears is serious!

i know that's not what it ended up being (a fall with impact) but it could've been all the same.
Fro 06:23 PM 02-20-2011
a perferated eardrum is not really a big deal. Antibiotics are a good idea if they are very young, or have been sick recently, or are prone to ear infections. A dr visit is a good idea just to make sure.
falling off the bed with a qtip, can cause more damage than that, and should have been checked out the same day if possible.
Bleeding from the ear without knowing the cause, in my house, with parents that are unreachable, or fail to respond quickly, is an ER visit. If the bleeding is severe, it would be a 911 call.
Tags:emergencies, emergency contact, injury, punctured eardrum
Reply Up