Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Grow In Your Garden?
NeedaVaca 11:13 AM 04-04-2013
It's getting closer to planting time! I am so excited to start my gardening

What are your favorite food items to plant? I am wanting to try some new things this year and my neighbor and I are going to try to plant different things so we can share. I would love more ideas!

My favorites are:
tons of tomatoes-all varieties, I also can them for winter
peppers-hot and bell
snap peas
carrots
zucchini

my parents have a garden bigger than my yard so I get green beans, potatoes & strawberries from them.
butterfly 11:22 AM 04-04-2013
I'm a canner too.

I love to garden and love to can even more!

I plant lots of tomatoes, peppers, carrots, cucumbers, watermelon, pumpkins, cantaloupe, potato, onion, rhubarb, brocolli, cabbage, peas, green beans, squash...

Can't wait to start! I still have snow here though.
canadiancare 11:25 AM 04-04-2013
I have a postage stamp backyard since I live in a subdivision with monster houses crammed onto tiny lots.

I have two 4X4 raised beds. One is full of herbs and the other will have tomatoes and cucumbers in it.

Instead of a front lawn I have a lavender garden and mulch.
Willow 11:28 AM 04-04-2013
We started a bunch of our plants last week! Did a whole flat with the daycare kids and everything is already shooting up!

This year (God and gophers willing lol) we'll be growing peas (regular and snap), beans (green and yellow), tomatoes (bigs, cherries and pear), corn, peppers (reds, greens and banana), onions, watermelon, pumpkins (jacks, bigs and REALLY big 300+lb-ers), buttercup squash, cabbage, cucumbers (bigs and smalls for canning pickles), asparagus and brocolli. Out there already due to come back from last year are raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and rhubarb.

Our garden is huge and a lot of work but it's also well worth it!!!
Blackcat31 11:30 AM 04-04-2013
My garden is 30 X 36. We grow:

I also have several flower gardens with both perennials and annuals

This year we are planning on planting a few berry gardens too for blackberries, blue berries and raspberries.
Evansmom 11:30 AM 04-04-2013
This year we planted kale, cauliflower, broccoli, strawberries, grapes and herbs.
canadiancare 11:31 AM 04-04-2013
I forgot. I gambled on planting a fig tree last year. I wonder if it will come back.
Meeko 11:51 AM 04-04-2013
Weeds
sammie 11:53 AM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Weeds

LK5kids 12:01 PM 04-04-2013
Weeds here too!

Tomatoes- regular & grape
Sweet peppers
Yellow & green beans
Beets
yellow Summer squash & zucchini
Strawberries
Cucumbers
Leaf lettuce
sammie 12:02 PM 04-04-2013
Last year we planted: peas, carrots, radishes, lettuce, spinach, green beans, bell peppers, jalapenos, green chili peppers, cilantro, broccoli, tomatoes, zuchini, yellow squash, acorn squash, watermelon, catalope & strawberries. This year we will plant the same along with onions, garlic, cabbage and I want to try potatoes. We also have raspberries, an apple tree and a peach tree. It is starting to get nice here....I should be able to start some of those in the next couple of weeks!
AfterSchoolMom 12:05 PM 04-04-2013
I'd love to plant a garden, but I have a brown thumb. Everything that I try to grow either doesn't grow, grows but never produces (I did manage a super long, naked tomato vine once), or gets eaten by animals before it's ready.

I'm thinking of attempting a small container garden on my deck in a Rubbermaid bin this year. That way I can slide it into the garage at night to keep from getting eaten. I'd really love some tomatoes and some green bell peppers.
just_peachy 12:06 PM 04-04-2013
Weeds
dang, you stole my answer! We're redoing our yard this year (allegedly. I'll believe it when I see it, darling husband...) but I really want to grow SOMETHING... cherry tomatoes are a huge hit with the kids, and we can do them in pots. So probably just cherry tomatoes and hopefully easy herbs this year.
Oneluckymom 12:15 PM 04-04-2013
I'm some of you on here...I feel like I am growing EVERYTHING this year. Of course I'm in Cali so I've already started.

On top of the vegies... I counted yesterday and I have 23 fruit trees...yes 23!!

We have added 8 fruit trees since we moved in almost 3 years ago.

Its fun!!
sammie 12:18 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I'm some of you on here...I feel like I am growing EVERYTHING this year. Of course I'm in Cali so I've already started.

On top of the vegies... I counted yesterday and I have 23 fruit trees...yes 23!!

We have added 8 fruit trees since we moved in almost 3 years ago.

Its fun!!
I wish I had the room for more fruit trees!!
Starburst 12:22 PM 04-04-2013
I want to do a garden with kids when I start my daycare but I heard that licensing wont allow tomatoes or potatoes because the vines have poison
I really want to grow tomatoes
sammie 12:28 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I want to do a garden with kids when I start my daycare but I heard that licensing wont allow tomatoes or potatoes because the vines have poison
I really want to grow tomatoes
maybe you could put a fence around them.....
SilverSabre25 12:39 PM 04-04-2013
I have great intentions of planting a garden this year. It burns a lot of calories, lol.

I'm hoping for:
tomatoes
cucumbers
zuchinni
maybe carrots
maybe other things. we'll see. I have a struggling strawberry bush. I want to plant a couple blueberry bushes, maybe some raspberries in a back corner of the yard.

I have a lot of space in my yard that needs a purpose. I've actually been thinking about posting some photos and asking for advices/ideas on what to do with these dumb zones in my yard.
Starburst 12:48 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by sammie:
maybe you could put a fence around them.....
Well right now I don't know the lay out situation because I don't plan on doing daycare in my current home or even my current town/county. But I asked if they allow it if it was in one of those upside-down hanging things but the director of my schools center says the licensing rules say that it cannot be around anywhere that the kids have access to it. So IDK I'll see.
CedarCreek 12:55 PM 04-04-2013
I would looooove a garden.

But I have a gray thumb. It kills everything. Ask my ill fated azaleas..or gardenias..or lime tree...
Lyss 01:20 PM 04-04-2013
Weeds

We plant sugar snap peas, carrots, lettuce, spinach, bell peppers, jalapenos, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, yellow squash, red/yellow onions, garlic, corn, & strawberries. Potatoes we're adding this year. We also have raspberries (2 kinds), blueberries, blackberries, and cherries.
kitykids3 01:40 PM 04-04-2013
Tomatoes, corn, zuchinni, carrots, lettuce and I try strawberries, but those don't work out for me. This year I am going to try cauliflower too.
slorey 01:43 PM 04-04-2013
We plant zucchini, cucumbers, green beans, carrots, corn, lettuce and broccoli. We tried pumpkins last year but they split open and rotted. I hope to add potatoes and some red onions this year but the garden is really my husbands thing so I will have to convince him on the onions. Maybe I can get him to plant a few peppers too.
MissAnn 01:48 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I have a postage stamp backyard since I live in a subdivision with monster houses crammed onto tiny lots.

I have two 4X4 raised beds. One is full of herbs and the other will have tomatoes and cucumbers in it.

Instead of a front lawn I have a lavender garden and mulch.
I'd love to see your front yard!
Meeko 02:41 PM 04-04-2013
I have a large backyard, but zero will to do any gardening.

I once took my artificial house plants outside to gently wash them down as they were dusty. I left them to dry and forgot about them and they melted in the sun. My kids thought it was hysterical that their mother could kill artificial plants.....

But I am very spoiled by all the local elderly gents who bring me tons and tons of tomatoes, apples, peaches etc. every year.
Country Kids 02:45 PM 04-04-2013

I once took my artificial house plants outside to gently wash them down as they were dusty. I left them to dry and forgot about them and they melted in the sun. My kids thought it was hysterical that their mother could kill artificial plants.....

But I am very spoiled by all the local elderly gents who bring me tons and tons of tomatoes, apples, peaches etc. every year.
I can't see the screen through my drink that was just spit out in laughter all over it!

Make note: not to send meeko even an artifical plant-
just_peachy 02:46 PM 04-04-2013

Cacti?
Meeko 02:55 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:
Cacti?
I'm sure I could kill those too......
e.j. 03:17 PM 04-04-2013

That's funny! I can keep some hardy houseplants alive but I've killed several cactus plants. They don't last long in my care!

My husband is the gardener in our house and I get to reap the benefits. He usually plants zucchini, butternut squash, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, green beans, pumpkins and sometimes corn.
Candy 03:19 PM 04-04-2013
I wish money. Beans and cabbage tho my family has a huge garden on a plot of land and everyone has a section. I got lost in it when i was little no one needs a garden that big.
Luna 03:41 PM 04-04-2013
We plant lots of tomatoes. The kids love cherry tomatoes and grape tomatoes, and the yellow ones are acid-free. We plant green pepper because its the only vegetable hubby will eat and we plant cucumbers. We've tried planting eggplant but something eats them
kathiemarie 05:12 PM 04-04-2013

OMG you made me laugh! I'm bad but not that bad! lol
mema 07:18 PM 04-04-2013
Don't worry Meeko-I can't grow anything either. Big black thumbs here. I DID kill a cactus many years ago. Put it on a shelf and apparently forgot about it. When we moved a year later, I found it! Ooops.

I would love a garden. We have a fairly good sized yard, but it is full of trees. There is only one section that gets a good amount of sun and that is on the boulevard where people wait for the city bus. Every year I say I'm going to rent a plot from the city and every year I forget to call. When I remember to call, they are all full. One day I'll convince dh that we should cut down 2 trees on the side of the house for a garden, but it'll cost big $$$$. I think our neighbor said it was over $1,000 to take down one of his. I don't think I can produce enough food to cover the cost of removing 2 of them!
sharlan 07:22 PM 04-04-2013
After being written up last year for tomato plants, I'm not planting anything this year.
Country Kids 08:37 PM 04-04-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
After being written up last year for tomato plants, I'm not planting anything this year.
I sooooo remember when that happened!

I was right along with you!
NeedaVaca 05:55 AM 04-05-2013
I think I will add broccoli, cauliflower and cucumbers this year. Maybe some lettuce & kale. I forgot to mention in my 1st post that I have a huge herb garden. I plant a ton of basil-different varieties, cilantro, parsley, dill, rosemary, & oregano. I dry it for use all winter and make a lot of pesto!

I would like to try onions and garlic...not sure how to do that, I think garlic gets planted in the fall? I will have to google that
canadiancare 06:03 AM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I'd love to see your front yard!
I'll take a photo when they are in bloom (first the snow has to melt )

here is an old one from a few years ago

The neighbour with the grass has now covered his yard with pebble stone.
Tags:garden
Reply Up