Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>And Now, for Something Completely Different
SilverSabre25 12:02 PM 09-19-2013
Wow. Busy week around the forum eh? Lots of...action It was the full moon, so I'm not entirely surprised, but let's put the hard feelings and drama llamas aside and find something more interesting to do.

However, I'm tapped out of ideas. So we'll go for a nice, "Whatcha doin'?"

(Yes, I've just quoted Monty Python and Phineas and Ferb both within like, ten lines. Or less. Haha! I'm a total geek)

My crew is finishing up an episode of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood while I hide in the kitchen eating part of a pint of Ben and Jerry's Pina Colada ice cream. This stuff is DELICIOUS, by the way. I'm looking forward to the weekend. We have no plans and I'd like to keep it that way. Been way too busy lately.

I've been rewatching the Series "Call the Midwife". Fabulous. It's streaming on Netflix or you can watch it on PBS's website. Great, great show.
craftymissbeth 12:08 PM 09-19-2013
I'm sitting in the rocker with the screaming crawler (currently quiet) while the itty bitty is asleep in his PNP and the toddler terror is smiling sweetly at me from her nap mat... Likely plotting her revenge for the baby gate going back up.
TheGoodLife 12:10 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

(Yes, I've just quoted Monty Python and Phineas and Ferb both within like, ten lines. Or less. Haha! I'm a total geek)
So I had to reread that in the "Phineas and Ferb" voice Thanks for the laugh!
preschoolteacher 12:12 PM 09-19-2013
I'm eating goldfish crackers because we are all out of "adult food." I guess a trip to Target is in store for me after pick-up time...
mema 12:12 PM 09-19-2013
I am guzzling my dt dew and doing a little recipe searching before the kiddos wake up! Praying for rain, but each time I check the radar, it is just missing us. What SHOULD I be doing......cleaning and printing off a copy of my handbook because I have an interview tonight , but it is just too stinkin humid to move.
sammie 12:13 PM 09-19-2013
Nap time here. It is nice and quiet!
MCC 12:15 PM 09-19-2013
I am sitting with a room full of active 2 year old girls who woke up from their naps early. They are supposed to be asleep for another 15 minutes, but I let them get up since ALL of them woke up around 2:30. They are grumpy and clearly tired, so this should be a fun afternoon

I also just got a phone from my sister that she is pregnant!
WImom 12:16 PM 09-19-2013
I'm sitting on the computer as quiet as can be so no one wakes up early!! Happy though it's my early day that my hubby takes over right at the end of nap while I go to my daughter's school.

He hasn't encountered my new 24m old BUSY boy yet. Hope he has fun since he always says, "they were all really good, no problems at all"!! Probably because he always gets them after a nice nap.
Jack Sprat 12:18 PM 09-19-2013
Only one kiddo today...so sitting here with a load of laundry to fold, reading about Mother Earth News Fair we are going to soon, and now looking forward to watching Midwives on Netflix tonight!
Jack Sprat 12:18 PM 09-19-2013
Oh and kiddo is sleeping...Ahhh sweet nap time I love you!
Mister Sir Husband 12:22 PM 09-19-2013
I'm finishing up the last few things I need to do so I can call the licensor and fire/safety guys back over for what will hopefully be my final inspection. I got the paperwork today from the code enforcement guy that my new deck addition passed. If all goes well I will be good to open by the end of the month..
MyAngels 12:22 PM 09-19-2013
Just finished a convo with my mom - I found some juicy tidbits while researching my genealogy and had to share. She loves that stuff .

I'm having a nice, light day here, only three kids, all sound nappers, so I'm having a lovely relaxing break.
JoseyJo 12:22 PM 09-19-2013
Wow. Busy week around the forum eh? Lots of...action It was the full moon, so I'm not entirely surprised, but let's put the hard feelings and drama llamas aside and find something more interesting to do.

My crew is finishing up an episode of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood while I hide in the kitchen eating part of a pint of Ben and Jerry's Pina Colada ice cream. This stuff is DELICIOUS, by the way. I'm looking forward to the weekend. We have no plans and I'd like to keep it that way. Been way too busy lately.

I've been rewatching the Series "Call the Midwife". Fabulous. It's streaming on Netflix or you can watch it on PBS's website. Great, great show.
Enjoying the silence of the den while my hubby watches the sleeping kiddos!

This is my favorite part of the day- I don't get to be alone any other time (well except when I am cooking dinner sometimes!)

One week from today we will be in DisneyWorld! Totally looking forward to the much needed break. On a sad (for me) note my 14 yo decided not to come because he is "this close" to making 1st string on the Freshman football team and missing 7 days of practice and 2 games would get him sidelined.

I gave him the choice not to come as I understand and appreciate his "putting work before play" and all of the hard work he has put into football, but I will miss him- and I already paid for his non refundable tickets

One of our new kiddos (been here 6 weeks) is moving to a new daycare when we go on vacation (it is $20 less a week and they are having financial problems) but the family wasn't that good of a fit anyway so it is really a blessing in disguise for me After vaca we are filling her spot with an 18 mo dcg that I have known since birth and are excited to have join our crew.

We had all boys for a long time until recently and this was our last "girly" girl - our current girl and the new girl are both very tom-boyish. Looking forward to that!
JoseyJo 12:25 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:

I also just got a phone from my sister that she is pregnant!
Congrats!!! My daughter told us she is pregnant about 2 weeks ago but I can't tell anyone yet. Since I am incognito on here I will share!
blandino 12:29 PM 09-19-2013
I am sitting in a room with my assistant that is much darker than usual due I impending rain. 8 kids on mats at my feet, two awake. One 18 month old who is on her second day on a mat, and is doing very well - and the other a 3 year old boy who is about to pass out. 4 babies sound asleep in PNPs in the adjoining room. This never happens !!

We have had a good day today. We had students from OU come and observe us as part of a pediatrics course, and the second group of 3 came this morning and they were wonderful. They loved the kids and vice versa. Plus the kids were Very well behaved for their visits.
littlemissmuffet 12:33 PM 09-19-2013
I find every time something whacky happens on the board I have my period. Guess what? I have my period.

I am writing in my dd's journal. Hubs and I have been keeping journals since we found out I was pregnant to record our experiences as parents, words of advice, etc to our little one. We plan to give them to her when she is an adult

Oh, I'm also eating an entire avacado - right from the peel. Mmm!
se7en 12:44 PM 09-19-2013
I`m off today. It is hard to post when working, phones are not allowed during work hours. So I can log on during my break or after work. Right now I am reading up on my requirement for certification. Then I need to get dinner started. It has been tough managing the family and working, but we are adjusting.
momofsix 12:48 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I find every time something whacky happens on the board I have my period. Guess what? I have my period.

I am writing in my dd's journal. Hubs and I have been keeping journals since we found out I was pregnant to record our experiences as parents, words of advice, etc to our little one. We plan to give them to her when she is an adult

Oh, I'm also eating an entire avacado - right from the peel. Mmm!
The journal idea. That will be something so special to her!
littlemissmuffet 12:55 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I hope so.

I had a friend in highschool whose mom started her a journal when she was 5 and was still writing to her in it at age 16 when I last saw her. I thought it was a fantastic idea!
kelsey's kids 12:57 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:390629:

Watching the second season of that show as I type while kids nap lol. Love this show.
MotherNature 01:07 PM 09-19-2013
just sitting here while the kids snack & I'm giving baby a bottle. Husband on his way home.
MyAngels 01:34 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
Congrats!!! My daughter told us she is pregnant about 2 weeks ago but I can't tell anyone yet. Since I am incognito on here I will share!
Congratulations! I love being a grandma
AcornMama 01:37 PM 09-19-2013
If we were in school, I would so send you a note..."Will you please be my best friend?" with little boxes to check for yes and no.

Most of my friends are so serious and straight-laced they'd look at me like I was from outer space if I started referencing Monty Python or Phineas and Ferb.

My kids, however, think I'm awesome!
nanglgrl 01:37 PM 09-19-2013
I'm waiting for my last daycare kid to be picked up. My daughter just called and asked me to bring her track jersey because she forgot it. I searched everywhere and it's definitely not here, she was at her dads house last weekend after her last track meet and probably left it there but she keeps insisting its here and I know it's not. She's why some animals eat their young! I'm exhausted, I had my annual unannounced spot check today (and yippee we got 100%) but I thought she was going to come in July since that's when she came last year. I didn't know the wait was stressing me but after she left I felt immediately exhausted. To top all of this off my youngest son wasn't feeling well and crawled in bed with me last night and my hubby farts like every 5 minutes when he's sleeping..it's so bad it wakes me up! Oy, I'm tired.
AcornMama 01:45 PM 09-19-2013
Only one dcb today, and he got picked up over an hour early!

I had extra time to connect with my own kids and we all ate sugary dry cereal from a box, which is a big treat in our house. Lucky for them I bought Apple Jacks for dcb to make a cereal necklace.

And it's homemade pizza and movie night (), which generally means Doctor Who geek fest around here.
AcornMama 01:47 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
I'm finishing up the last few things I need to do so I can call the licensor and fire/safety guys back over for what will hopefully be my final inspection. I got the paperwork today from the code enforcement guy that my new deck addition passed. If all goes well I will be good to open by the end of the month..
That's great news! Good luck!

Cradle2crayons 02:15 PM 09-19-2013
I'm doing homework with my DS who is in kindy.... My dd age 10 is doing her homework..... My dcb sa who is in kindy doesn't have hw yet so he's playing with his two sisters age 2 yrs and 3 yrs. they didn't arrive until 330 and they haven't had nap today so that's always fun. The dcb age 10 weeks is asleep in my room after his bottle. His sister my special dcg age 22 months is in the nap room taking a nap....

And whew I'm tired already and my daycare day didn't even start until 100 pm. But I was up at six if that counts??

Lol
ihop 02:19 PM 09-19-2013
I just had another provider off of craigslist email me to tell me I have an absolutely adorable daycare name and if we took nominations I would win hands down lol. I've always been iffy about my name so that made my afternoon

Almost makes up for dcb only napping 40min all day instead of 3hrs......almost
Blackcat31 02:33 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I hope so.

I had a friend in highschool whose mom started her a journal when she was 5 and was still writing to her in it at age 16 when I last saw her. I thought it was a fantastic idea!
I started a journal when I was still in the hospital with my dd. She is 25 this year and I still write in it atleast 2 times per month.

I also started a journal the day I met my DH and have since added 5 more since we've been together now for 26 years.

I have always been a journal keeper but I do have to say that the journals I keep are some of my most personal and important belongings.

I plan to give my DD the journal I kept for her when she has her first child someday.

Re-reading them is a wonderful way to keep "life" in perspective and see things from the "big picture" view.

Keeping a journal about my DD and parenting her as well as keeping one in regards to being married has been both therapeutic and one of the best things I feel I have done in my life.

MissMuffets...you (and your DD) will greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness to do this.
Lyss 02:57 PM 09-19-2013
Today has actually been really easy!!!! (I say as I knock on wood so I didn't just jinx it and this peacefully naptime ends in screaming and all hell breaks loose)

DD and I made a ham and feta calzone for lunch, the rest of the kids wanted to play make shadows with the window blocks, so we got impromptu "special" time together. My high needs baby (that's on "probation" for screaming 24/7) has played all day on the floor and a bit in the play yard with no crying (miracle!!) and everyone has been getting along!

Only thing that could make today better is if it was Friday!

And now I want to break out my flying circus dvds and watch some MP!

BTW...I think the journals are an awesome idea! I've got an email account for DD and we've been sending photos and emails of things we do but I like the journaling idea
MCC 03:00 PM 09-19-2013
Congrats to you!
Maria2013 03:08 PM 09-19-2013
I just waved the last kid bye bye, done my FP claim for the day, now I'm waiting for hubby to come home so we can have dinner
LoraJenkins 05:11 PM 09-19-2013
Had a really rough day with the older dcks, really great day with the younger dcks, parent 1 1/2 hours late for pick-up. I've had some wine and am relaxing! Tomorrow is FRIDAY!!!!! And this weekend we are going to a MAJOR biker rally!!!!
JoseyJo 07:33 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Congratulations! I love being a grandma
Thank you! I am WAY too young to be a gma (because I had my dd way to young,not because she is) Not sure what I think about it yet, just letting it sit a while as we still have 7 months or so until dgb is here
daycarekay 07:49 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by Lil Monkey:
Only one kiddo today...so sitting here with a load of laundry to fold, reading about Mother Earth News Fair we are going to soon, and now looking forward to watching Midwives on Netflix tonight!
I've never heard of Midwives before but it sounds interesting! I might have to put it on my ever-growing list of things to watch!

I just had a late night snack... PB&J, yum... And am about to head to bed. So excited that tomorrow is Friday, as it's been a very long and tiring week. I've been running on about 5 hours of sleep each night and I am no good when I get less than 7! I'm hoping for a restful weekend for all!
Cradle2crayons 09:42 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by daycarekay:
I've never heard of Midwives before but it sounds interesting! I might have to put it on my ever-growing list of things to watch!

I just had a late night snack... PB&J, yum... And am about to head to bed. So excited that tomorrow is Friday, as it's been a very long and tiring week. I've been running on about 5 hours of sleep each night and I am no good when I get less than 7! I'm hoping for a restful weekend for all!
Aks. I just realized I didn't eat today. And I'm not really sure I ate yesterday. Arggg lol.
Michelle 10:15 PM 09-19-2013
went to the doctor today
not a very good visit
my dd had a great day in school
she brought us home some caterpillars in her back pack... still alive! yea
and we put them in a box with leaves and they are hanging and already starting to spin their cocoons
not sure if they are moths or butterflies but they are red and black and very hairy
the dck's are excited to watch them
trying to focus on the beauty in life
my daughter
Cradle2crayons 01:46 AM 09-20-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
went to the doctor today
not a very good visit
my dd had a great day in school
she brought us home some caterpillars in her back pack... still alive! yea
and we put them in a box with leaves and they are hanging and already starting to spin their cocoons
not sure if they are moths or butterflies but they are red and black and very hairy
the dck's are excited to watch them
trying to focus on the beauty in life
my daughter
about the dr visit, I sure know how the bad ones are!!!

And I'd be excited about the caterpillars too!!

We moved here last November. I grew up a mile from here. My dad lives a mile from here also. This house is in the middle of the woods. As we're our other houses. Well, this summer, our first one here, we started finding HUNDREDS of these weird grasshopper things. Hundreds and thousands of them. They were at first teeny tiny black grasshoppers with an orange stripe. We started googling and apparently they are called eastern lubber grasshoppers, indigenous to is area. Myself, my husband, and my dad etc had NEVER seen them before. We even asked older locals. They had never seen them either!!

Well, after their FIFTH molt, they turn into HUGE HUGE weird looking grasshoppers with wings. They get so big they can barely hop!!

Look them up sometime they are AMAZING!!

It's a good thing our garden is at e family land where these dont live because they eat a garden in days.

But it's weird nobody around here has never seen em before.
Meyou 04:40 AM 09-20-2013
I LUUUURVE Call the Midwives. I love lots of BBC programming actually. We don't have tv so we download everything we watch and it's expanded our awareness of international programing. Australia also has great programming that we never see here.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:58 AM 09-20-2013
I am finishing up some dishes. 1 1/2 yr old is playing in playroom and her almost 4 yo brother is asleep on a cot in there. They got here at 6am little miss slept for a little over an hour. I will be waking brother in a bit if she doesn't!
Weekend plans- I have 8 hours of training tomorrow... hopefully, it is really good because I have this every month for like the next 6 months! It is on literacy. I am just hoping it gives me real, hands on inspiration and not "you should read to your kids in expressive voices". Yup, I have been to a training like that recently.
mema 07:02 AM 09-20-2013
Thank you! I am WAY too young to be a gma (because I had my dd way to young,not because she is) Not sure what I think about it yet, just letting it sit a while as we still have 7 months or so until dgb is here
My mom was a grandma at 35 (she was 18, my sister was 17) and all I think is I have just over a year until I am 35 and there is no way on this green earth that I would want to be a g-ma yet-altho, my kiddos are only 9 & 12 so there would be some major problems there. My mom said the best thing about being a g-ma so young, is having energy to do things with them and being able to hold, rock, carry without paying for it in pain the next day. You'll be great and love every minute I'm sure. Congrats!
jessrlee 08:11 AM 09-20-2013
I made my mom a gma at 38. She loves being young enough to really enjoy doing things with the girls!
SilverSabre25 08:19 AM 09-20-2013
I think I just talked myself and DH into getting a dog this weekend! We'll ahve to see...I emailed the shelter with a couple questions but I am in LOVE ! She needs a home and I need a doggy.

I'm happy to find so many other people who watch Call the Midwives! And got my MP and P&F references! and AcornMama--last night my sisters came over and we watched Doctor Who like we do every week.

Biggest geek in the 'Verse!
AcornMama 09:10 AM 09-20-2013
I'm happy to find so many other people who watch Call the Midwives! And got my MP and P&F references! and AcornMama--last night my sisters came over and we watched Doctor Who like we do every week.

Now I need to start watching Call the Midwives. It would probably be a nice balancing factor to all the Doctor Who around here.

And then late last night dh found War Games on Amazon Prime, so I fell asleep to an 80's geekiness flashback.
jenn 09:43 AM 09-20-2013
I kept a journal while pregnant and the first couple of months after birth, but not as detailed as I had wanted. It was a really scary pregnancy and she has liver/lung issues. I became so overwhelmed that I just quit journaling. I know in my head that it's never too late to start (she's 5 now), but as a perfectionist, I feel like I've already ruined it, so why bother.
I take tons of pictures, as in many per day, so that is a good way of remembering special times. However, the pictures are not in albums or scrapbooked. Again, I know it's not too late to start, but I just feel like I've already failed and I'm so far behind.
My original plan was to have a scrap-journal. I didn't plan to do all the fancy ribbons and layouts, just pictures with journaling and a few pretties here and there. I feel like I have really failed her in this.
Thanks for letting me vent about this.
Josiegirl 11:01 AM 09-20-2013
Ahhhh, 3 hours and change and it's the weekend.
Thank the heavens above.
Jack Sprat 11:37 AM 09-20-2013
It's Friday!! Woo woo! We have nothing planned, nowhere to go, and its going to be a beautiful weekend! I am wrecked tired!
JoseyJo 11:56 AM 09-20-2013
Originally Posted by mema:
My mom was a grandma at 35 (she was 18, my sister was 17) and all I think is I have just over a year until I am 35 and there is no way on this green earth that I would want to be a g-ma yet-altho, my kiddos are only 9 & 12 so there would be some major problems there. My mom said the best thing about being a g-ma so young, is having energy to do things with them and being able to hold, rock, carry without paying for it in pain the next day. You'll be great and love every minute I'm sure. Congrats!
I just turned 34 I had her at 15, she will be 19 in a few months. Not planning on being her DCP though- We do a full day preschool and it is VERY difficult to focus on that w/ a baby in the mix. There is no way she could stay home with the baby though so unless she/I find someone I trust I may end up trying to make it work!
Michelle 12:34 PM 09-20-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
about the dr visit, I sure know how the bad ones are!!!

And I'd be excited about the caterpillars too!!

We moved here last November. I grew up a mile from here. My dad lives a mile from here also. This house is in the middle of the woods. As we're our other houses. Well, this summer, our first one here, we started finding HUNDREDS of these weird grasshopper things. Hundreds and thousands of them. They were at first teeny tiny black grasshoppers with an orange stripe. We started googling and apparently they are called eastern lubber grasshoppers, indigenous to is area. Myself, my husband, and my dad etc had NEVER seen them before. We even asked older locals. They had never seen them either!!

Well, after their FIFTH molt, they turn into HUGE HUGE weird looking grasshoppers with wings. They get so big they can barely hop!!

Look them up sometime they are AMAZING!!

It's a good thing our garden is at e family land where these dont live because they eat a garden in days.

But it's weird nobody around here has never seen em before.

were they locust?
Michelle 12:38 PM 09-20-2013
I think I just talked myself and DH into getting a dog this weekend! We'll ahve to see...I emailed the shelter with a couple questions but I am in LOVE ! She needs a home and I need a doggy.

Silver, my daughter went to San Diego a few months ago to that geek convention... some actors from Dr Who were there... not sure which one but she loved it
Hunni Bee 02:59 PM 09-20-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I think I'm stealing it. Like right now, before I forget. I wish I would have started one at least when she was born, but two months in is okay.

Yes, definitely doing it. Thanks LMM!!
Sunshine74 07:42 PM 09-20-2013

You are awesome. And I am a total geek too!

Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
So I had to reread that in the "Phineas and Ferb" voice Thanks for the laugh!
Me too!

Anyway.... what am I doing? Enjoying a root beer float (haven't had one in forever) and relishing in the fact that my vacation started approx 5 hours ago. My MIL and her husband are coming into town from across the country tomorrow for the week. We get along so well and it's been two years since we've seen them.
Tags:daycare - life after
Reply Up