Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ouchie advice
KDC 09:23 AM 01-29-2015
So... This morning my DCB3 decided to do a random twirl with his arms out and whacked my other DCBalmost2 in the eye. I grabbed a wet paper towel and held it up to his eye, and he stopped crying and went to play, but he keeps rubbing it afterwards. It happened 2 hours ago and he is still rubbing and it and just cried hard for about 10 minutes. I again got a wet paper towel and dabbed his eye. It doesn't appear red or have any bruising or anything like that, but maybe looks a little puffier than normal (he's been rubbing it and I've been soaking it with a wet paper towel, so could be just from that). At what point to I contact Mom and Dad?

This is my injury prone kid, just last week he popped out his tricky nursemaid elbow by holding on too tight to another kid going down the slide.

This one makes me want to invest in bubble wrap
Shell 09:25 AM 01-29-2015
I would give dcm a heads up text or call and let her know you will be keeping an eye on it, and will contact her if you feel the child needs to be seen by a doctor. Most of my parents are great about these types of calls, and appreciate it.
daycarediva 09:31 AM 01-29-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
I would give dcm a heads up text or call and let her know you will be keeping an eye on it, and will contact her if you feel the child needs to be seen by a doctor. Most of my parents are great about these types of calls, and appreciate it.
He could have scratched the eye or it could just be sore from rubbing it. I would do the same as this.
_Dana_ 10:07 AM 01-29-2015
I would call mom or dad to be taken to dr.

I had a dcb that did something similar at d/o while dcm was still there. Neither she nor I thought much of it. A little tlc and kid seemed okay. However, his eye continued to water and itch over the next hour. I called dcm who p/u to go to the dr. Turned out dcb scratched his retina! I'm glad I called as soon as I thought it might be more!
Unregistered 10:08 AM 01-29-2015
I had this happen to my eye once with the handle of my vacuum. It watered for hours and I felt the need to rub it. It was better by the end of the day.
KDC 11:46 AM 01-29-2015
He's acting completely non-normal. Now it makes me wonder if he hurt it more than I think. He's happy to have his eyes closed. They don't look different (red, tearing, or bruised). It happened around 8:30 this morning, and he didn't seem that bothered or 'off' until around 11:30 just before lunch. That's when he lost it... every little thing would make him have a tantrum. I joked it was like his very own version of my very bad no good day. 1. no oatmeal (He loves IT... asks for it every day), 2. hit in the eye, 3. the lego car would roll off the house thingy, 4. DCG walked by and DCB shoved her earning a time out. 5. The zipper in the box toy wouldn't zip shut with 15 hot wheels in it. DCB = 0, Universe = 5.

My DH is here today and he agrees something must be really bothering this poor munchkin, but since he was relatively normal for 3 hours, it's hard to connect the eye bump with the tantrums, crying and not eating. The parents have both been in touch with me, the poor DCB didn't touch his lunch and fell asleep in his chair. I was rubbing his forehead to calm him down. His parents said he didn't eat much dinner last night and they're thinking he's teething? I don't think it's teething, but after sending him home last week for an injury (his elbow has been out three times in the past month - only once at daycare), I don't want to overreact, but I don't want to overlook something. He's sleeping now. No fever or other symptoms.
Baby Beluga 11:54 AM 01-29-2015
Maybe growing pains?

On a side note about the nurse maid elbow - My DD had this happen and it would happen often! Her pedi said eating more protein can help. When we added more protein to her diet it did seem to help. It could have been an age thing (she just turned 3) or a protein thing, but it is food for thought
Tags:injury, ouchie
Reply Up