Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sibling set, not sure about this
NightOwl 05:47 AM 04-30-2015
I've had dcg3 since she was an infant. 12 week old dcb brother will start next week. And I've noticed that, when mom brings him in to pick up dcg, dcg gets possessive and ignores my requests.

For example, all the kids will hover around to see him, some try to touch him. I'll say hands off, no touching baby. They'll stop with the touching, but dcg will make a point to continue touching him.

Yes, she's the big sister, but should I allow her to do things with him that I don't normally allow? My kids are all 2 and under except for this dcg, but they're old enough to know when someone is getting special and they're not.
Thriftylady 05:49 AM 04-30-2015
I think it might be easier when he starts with you and you can adjust her to your rules as pertain to him. She is likely doing what is allowed at home.
Kabob 05:54 AM 04-30-2015
I don't allow daycare kids to touch the baby regardless of relation. My own ds isn't allowed to touch his baby sister during daycare, as it is tougher to supervise safe interaction and also the other children will think it is okay.

For safety reasons, baby is always only for the adults to touch during daycare.

It might be easier to enforce this rule when dcg and dcb are both in your care. I tell parents that I have this rule and why if their child brings it up.

I never had an issue with sibling sets following the "no touch baby" rule during daycare even though their parents would let them wrestle/hug/change diapers at home.
NightOwl 06:36 AM 04-30-2015
This is my rule too. I just hope the parents understand. I can't allow her to do it and not have issues with the others wanting to follow suit.
jenboo 07:03 AM 04-30-2015
I had a similar situation and after a couple weeks, i was able to get everyone to stop. It just takes a little time.
rosieteddy 07:14 AM 04-30-2015
All the children put their hands behind back to see new baby.Even siblings know that is the rule here.Many a parents first photo of baby here is all the children standing with hands behind back looking at baby. Pretty cute picture.
Blackcat31 08:11 AM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
I've had dcg3 since she was an infant. 12 week old dcb brother will start next week. And I've noticed that, when mom brings him in to pick up dcg, dcg gets possessive and ignores my requests.

For example, all the kids will hover around to see him, some try to touch him. I'll say hands off, no touching baby. They'll stop with the touching, but dcg will make a point to continue touching him.

Yes, she's the big sister, but should I allow her to do things with him that I don't normally allow? My kids are all 2 and under except for this dcg, but they're old enough to know when someone is getting special and they're not.
I have a discussion with the parents before infant sibling begins care and explain that while I understand that older sibling may be allowed to hold/touch/feed the baby at home I can't allow them to do that while in my house or on my property as the safety of ALL the kids is my responsibility. The kids at daycare do not understand relationships so NO ONE is allowed to touch or hold the baby at daycare other than myself and the parent.

I make sure the parent understands that this is a safety rule for THEIR child's benefit and that I FULLY expect their cooperation in enforcing this rule for the older sibling while on my property.

If it starts to slowly become an issue....I just have a reminder chat with them about it so that they can talk with their older child about it not being allowed.
Unregistered 02:01 PM 04-30-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
This is my rule too. I just hope the parents understand. I can't allow her to do it and not have issues with the others wanting to follow suit.
My infant has a big bro here. Mom reinforces my no touch rule right in front of me. I love it.
Tags:siblings
Reply Up