Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pack N Play Ruined By Child
Unregistered 04:56 AM 02-01-2017
I have a 20 mo old that is WILD! During his nap, he pulls and pulls on the bottom of the pack n play. It is velcro'd down tightly and he still manages to pull the bottom up.

He has ruined one pack n play by doing this. I need to get him into another one and don't want that one ruined as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reinforce the pack n play, but in a safe way that won't be an issue for the child or with licensing?

He is way too wild to be out on a cot, he would NEVER stay on it. I have thought of purchasing a regular crib for him, but want to try to use what I have first. I have skipped a morning nap for him, so he is extra tired, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Suggestions please?
laundrymom 05:11 AM 02-01-2017
Have parent provide?
If he ruins again they can replace?
At 20 mo he would be on a cot here, cosleeping w his friends because we do everything in one room and I stay with them the entire time. Sounds like he needs constant monitoring for a few months to relearn an acceptable sleep routine.
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 20 mo old that is WILD! During his nap, he pulls and pulls on the bottom of the pack n play. It is velcro'd down tightly and he still manages to pull the bottom up.

He has ruined one pack n play by doing this. I need to get him into another one and don't want that one ruined as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reinforce the pack n play, but in a safe way that won't be an issue for the child or with licensing?

He is way too wild to be out on a cot, he would NEVER stay on it. I have thought of purchasing a regular crib for him, but want to try to use what I have first. I have skipped a morning nap for him, so he is extra tired, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Suggestions please?

Baby Beluga 05:29 AM 02-01-2017
I would try putting him on a cot. He may be wild because he feels confined (and possibility safer?) by the pack and play.

I had one here who I started off in a PNP when he enrolled at 12 months. He had sleep issues and would flip and flop the entire time. It got to be too much for me to set up and take down the PNP every day so I switched him to a cot about a month ago / month and half ago and he did great. I think him being out in the open made him feel less secure so he stopped flopping around. If that makes any sense
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 02-01-2017
I would attempt to transition to a mat.
I train all mine to move to a nap mat or cot at age 1 yr.

If that doesn't work, ask the parent to provide.

Personally, I have issues with providers that feel parents should replace something that their child ruined as 99.9% of the time it is a supervision issue or an environmental issue. The ONLY exception to this is when it's a school aged child or if the child ruins or destroys something when the parent is present.
Gemma 07:18 AM 02-01-2017
I agree, the child is too old for p&p I would try the cot
daycarediva 07:37 AM 02-01-2017
He would be on a mat/cot right next to me for the entire rest period until he was sleep trained.

I don't even provide pack n play's anymore. I take 18m+, and they all go straight to mats.
Unregistered 12:29 PM 02-01-2017
While this may not solve your particular issue,we cut a piece of fiberboard(I think)to fit inside the frame...it is fairly thin but firm enough a kid on top can not pull it up....like with just the trifold mat with padded mat on top.I had a dck that would daily take apart the pnp,but was NOT ready for a cot.One thing my parents love is that I am able to sleep one kid per room.Legally unlicensed in my state.
AmyKidsCo 01:31 PM 02-01-2017
I agree to try a cot or mat. I transitioned one to a cot this week - last week she was literally bouncing from one side of the PnP to the other, trampolining on it, spinning, etc. She lays on her cot and goes right to sleep. I have kids spread out all over for nap and she's in my sight line so I can give her the "evil eye" if she'd try to get up, which she hasn't.
NillaWafers 01:58 PM 02-01-2017
At 18 months I move mine to mats. I just lay them down and constantly put them back on the mat. They eventually get it.

Or you could try gently transitioning him? I did this with one kid who wasn't transitioning straight to mat. First I just put him down in the PnP and laid him down every time he got up, once he was sleeping in that I moved him into the hallway in the PnP, then the room, then a mat. It was a lot smoother than straight to mat.
cassiesue 05:42 PM 02-02-2017
I agree with transitioning him to a cot. We are not allowed to keep them in a pnp after they hit 12-months-old here. We can either use the approved cots or a 2" mat. I prefer the mats as they take up less room and are easier to clean.
Magic 06:52 PM 02-02-2017
could some one show me pictures of thier cots and or mats ...please... pretty please ...
Pestle 07:01 PM 02-02-2017
Licensing requires 2" mats here--I use these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reply Up