Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Food Program Regulations
springv 04:17 PM 02-08-2019
Quick question,
We are on the food program here in Alabama and we got a letter from the department of human resources stating that we will not be able to serve juice and count it as a fruit for afternoon snack but that we will have to serve milk for breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack. The director goes the 19th for a meeting so hopefully we will have some more info about it. But my question is does anyone else here do this or have you heard of this?
LITTLESTARS 05:01 PM 02-08-2019
yep im in new England and juice is disallowed. which means I can give the kids juice once in awhile but I wont get paid for the juice , here is only milk for all three meals . and even with the milk we have to make sure we are giving proper milk to the kids per the age .
Josiegirl 02:49 AM 02-09-2019
Hmmm, I'm in Vt. and I haven't heard this yet. Not sure about the juice thing because I can't remember the last time I bought juice. But as for the milk having to be served at snack too? Haven't heard that yet. Milk is very filling and a lot of kids would bypass healthier options to drink it.
springv 10:32 AM 02-09-2019
We also currently have to put the milk or juice back for extra because sometimes the kids don't want it. What do ya'll usually serve for afternoon snack that the kids actually eat and don't waste. Our kids won't eat what we currently offer depending on what it is at the time but sometimes they do.
coloradoprovider 07:07 AM 02-10-2019
The USDA guidelines should be nationwide, so if you're on a food program it doesn't matter what state you're in, the rules will be the same for all providers. Juice has been discouraged for quite a few years, I quit serving it long ago. Milk (whole for 1-2 years old and 1% or skim for 2 and up) is the rule - although I never buy/serve skim - it tastes like icky water! I serve whole and 1% at breakfast and lunch as it's required. Milk at snacks CAN be served as one of the components, but not required. I often do serve milk at snack, but not always. Cheese and crackers are a well-liked snack. I don't believe that the high fat content of cheese is a problem for active, normal weight children. IMHO the obesity epidemic is caused by too much processed food, too much sugar and not enough exercise. Whole milk for an active 2 year won't make them fat! But I follow the rules anyway as 1% milk as part of a healthy diet should be fine.

My daycare children also like hummus and crackers - unfortunately, commercially made hummus isn't creditable (yet) unless it's homemade, so I give them hummus with bell peppers and crackers to dip and the peppers and crackers ARE creditable.
springv 12:25 PM 02-10-2019
We do whole grain Ritz crackers with cheese and juice on Fridays and all of pre k and younger eat the crackers bur not the cheese and our school ages snub their noses at it. We do animal crackers on Wednesday and cheez its on Thursdays and both are served with juice. Can we use the already cut up bell peppers like you use for fajitas with the crackers if we wanted to.
CalCare 01:01 PM 02-10-2019
P.M. Snacks that I give are:
Apples and cheese cubes
String cheese and pretzels
Carrots and blueberries
Yogurt and berries
Apple sauce squeeze pouch and bread sticks
Peppers and cucumbers
W.w. toast and cheese
Bagel and cream cheese
springv 01:40 PM 02-10-2019
@calcare: What do you serve to drink with the pm snack?
CalCare 02:00 PM 02-10-2019
Oh water for AM snack and PM snack and water is just available all day. They all have their own water bottles. I only do milk for lunch. I don't serve breakfast.
coloradoprovider 08:52 PM 02-10-2019
The children also like green smoothies. Kale, spinach and frozen mango (Costco has organic frozen mango cubes) maybe a little orange or two in the blender. Surprisingly, the kids really like the smoothie sweetened only with the fruit - although the bulk is greens - healthy and delicious! Snacks for me are quick and easy and not a lot of variety from day to day as our lunches and breakfast have a lot of variety.
Cat Herder 10:13 AM 02-11-2019
"Milk" served with Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. As the majority of my DCK's have a "no cows milk" form in their file, I serve cheese, yogurt, formula until 2 and almond milk daily.

Water served with all meals and snacks as well as available all day (paper dixie cups).

No juice served. Components met by:

Fruit served with Breakfast, AM snack, Lunch and Dinner.

Vegetable served with AM snack, Lunch, PM snack and Dinner.

Protein and Whole Grain served with all meals and snacks. (My choice)
hwichlaz 04:24 PM 02-12-2019
I'm glad juice is going to be disallowed but I'll be grumpy if I have to serve milk with snacks. I serve water most of the time right now.
hwichlaz 04:28 PM 02-12-2019
https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...ealpattern.pdf

the current meal pattern
springv 05:57 PM 02-13-2019
Thank ya'll for your input and advice, i was talking to the girls at work today and we were all wondering how to incorporate fruit into the evening snack for it to be counted since we won't be able to serve juice anymore to drink. How do some of ya'll incorporate fruit into the evening snack for it to count
hwichlaz 09:15 PM 02-13-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
Thank ya'll for your input and advice, i was talking to the girls at work today and we were all wondering how to incorporate fruit into the evening snack for it to be counted since we won't be able to serve juice anymore to drink. How do some of ya'll incorporate fruit into the evening snack for it to count
I don't. You only need to serve two components, fruit's not required. I only serve it with breakfast.

BUT, apples and cheese, crackers and fruit....just replace the juice with any fruit you'd like??
springv 02:48 PM 02-15-2019
Hey guys:
We finally got a revised afternoon snack menu that meets the new requirements. Please let me know what ya'll think.

Afternoon snack
  1. Monday: graham crackers & milk

flying_babyb 06:34 PM 02-15-2019
gram crackers and milk are something our kids love. We do fruit (apples, bananas ect) for snack alot with crackers. Another hit? Apples and bananas in the blender w ice (or milk) for smoothies. Cheese,crackers and sausage tray.
springv 03:10 PM 02-16-2019
We don't have a blender, wish we did though
hwichlaz 12:40 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
gram crackers and milk are something our kids love. We do fruit (apples, bananas ect) for snack alot with crackers. Another hit? Apples and bananas in the blender w ice (or milk) for smoothies. Cheese,crackers and sausage tray.

once you put it in the blender, it counts as juice
springv 06:35 PM 02-18-2019
Hey guys,
Here's our new menu for afternoon snack that made to meet the new food program requirements plus we figured out how to use juice and it's still creditable, let me know how you like it
Monday: Graham crackers & milk
Tuesday: Goldfish & milk
Wednesday: Animal crackers, peanut butter (for dipping) & Juice
Thursday: Cheez its, banana and juice
Friday: Ritz crackers & cheese and juice
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 02-19-2019
Hey guys,
Here's our new menu for afternoon snack that made to meet the new food program requirements plus we figured out how to use juice and it's still creditable, let me know how you like it
Seems like a common preschool snack menu.

I don't serve that many crackers (carbs) for snack ever.
I try to choose from the fruit, veggie or meat/protein groups first and add crackers or grains if we didn't have enough for lunch.

I aim to serve mostly veggies in a variety of ways coupled with proteins such as eggs, yogurt, nut butters and cheese.

My snacks are something like this:

jenboo 10:16 AM 02-19-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Seems like a common preschool snack menu.

I don't serve that many crackers (carbs) for snack ever.
I try to choose from the fruit, veggie or meat/protein groups first and add crackers or grains if we didn't have enough for lunch.

I aim to serve mostly veggies in a variety of ways coupled with proteins such as eggs, yogurt, nut butters and cheese.

My snacks are something like this:
  • Carrots and celery sticks with almond butter or ranch dip
  • Pepper strips, cucumbers and yogurt dip
  • Spinach wrap with mandarin oranges and hummus
  • Broccoli and cauliflower and zesty bbq ranch
  • Boiled eggs and cubed cheeses
  • Grapefruit with whole grain wheat toast
  • Cubed ham, turkey or chicken with assorted cheese
  • Tomato wrap with veggies and mustard sauce or ranch
  • Whole wheat wrap with banana and peanut butter
  • Yogurt with fresh fruit
  • Avocado and whole grain pita
same here.
hwichlaz 12:12 PM 02-19-2019
Hey guys,

Why are you chosing to still include the juice? Have you considered that it's being discouraged because it's unhealthy and is a treat not regular food?
springv 04:44 PM 02-19-2019
The reason that we decided to include the juice is so that they don't get tired of drinking nothing but milk all the time ( we serve milk at breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack and morning snack depending on if we have any extra). We don't count morning snack on our food program sheet
Blackcat31 06:51 PM 02-19-2019
The reason that we decided to include the juice is so that they don't get tired of drinking nothing but milk all the time ( we serve milk at breakfast, lunch and afternoon snack and morning snack depending on if we have any extra). We don't count morning snack on our food program sheet
There’s water too
Nobody gets tired of drinking water
Hydration is a need not a want
Water fills that need

Juice is simply not needed
More unhealthy then healthy IMHO
hwichlaz 09:17 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
There’s water too
Nobody gets tired of drinking water
Hydration is a need not a want
Water fills that need

Juice is simply not needed
More unhealthy then healthy IMHO
I agree. It's the main cause of dental caries in young children...so it actually causes many children physical pain and harm.
springv 01:44 PM 02-20-2019
We serve water as well during morning snack and when the children ask for it. However, we cannot legally count it for the food program as part of the meal
hwichlaz 02:40 PM 02-20-2019
We serve water as well during morning snack and when the children ask for it. However, we cannot legally count it for the food program as part of the meal
nor can you count juice now

but water is healthy and free, juice is not
284878 02:44 PM 02-20-2019
True you can not count water as part of the meal but you can count the meal as long as it has two other components.

Try this menu

Tuesday: STRING CHEESE & HALO ORANGES and WATER
Wednesday: APPLES, peanut butter (for dipping) & WATER
Thursday: banana and MILK
Friday: Ritz crackers & cheese (CUT IN QUARTERS) and WATER
springv 03:23 PM 02-20-2019
The string cheese and oranges would be expensive because we serve about 30 or so kids a day and more if the school age is here
284878 08:14 PM 02-20-2019
The string cheese and oranges would be expensive because we serve about 30 or so kids a day and more if the school age is here

Ok how about baby carrots and cubed cheese and water.
Blackcat31 06:43 AM 02-21-2019
That's the point of the food program.....they help cover the costs of snacks.

I don't know what oranges or string cheese cost where you live but they are both pretty affordable snacks....for any number of kids.

If I recall, centers get approx .91 per child for each snack served. If you serve 30 kids snack that's $27.30.

A 3lb bag of Halo clementines is approx $4 here

Add in string cheese....I can get a package of string cheese with 28 sticks in it for less than $20.

If you eliminate the money your center is already spending on the unnecessary and non-creditable juice you are serving it seems buying healthy snacks should be well within your budget.
springv 03:16 PM 03-14-2019
Hey guys,
Just wanted to give you an update about our food program regulations and what was clarified. The first week of March our state department of education held a state wide meeting regarding the new regulations and we pretty much got told that the new rule regarding juice was a department of human resource rule and not a child and adult nutrition program rule and they were in contact with the to get more info about it and that we can continue to count juice as part of a meal. We even got told that we can serve chocolate milk to the school age because they won't drink milk plain and want water instead
Tags:food program, food program - alabama
Reply Up