Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is Infant Genital Herpes Contagious? - Help Plz
Unregistered 11:57 AM 01-31-2020
Hi I am an in-home childcare provider. I have a new infant in daycare that has been diagnosed with genital herpes. I was told by the mother that she contracted it from her birth mother when she was born. Her current mother has adopted her because the child was not wanted. I know the basic herpes is contagious but I've been told that genital herpes is not. I've tried to do some research and it basically says it is contagious via sexual contact. This infant have bumps on her feet. That is what brought it to my attention and the mothers to have her checked. The mother told me that moms are not contagious but it has to be sexual contact and that there will not always be bumps but that they could break out anywhere on her body because it was contracted in the birth canal. I don't trust people so I just wanted to see what experiences you all have had here and what you may have been told by doctors. I tried to call a few doctors and they won't give me information over the phone they want an appointment. She is currently out of daycare and I'm still waiting on the child health assessment which she has one month to turn in. She is new has only been here two weeks. I know you can't catch it from a toilet seat but my concern is changing her diapers. Or if she should have bumps that I am unaware of and another child touches... I'm just a paranoid mess right now but I don't want to treat her unfairly. She's a very sweet baby and she's going to have a hard enough time in life as it is. Any advice and information is greatly appreciated! Thank you very much for reading
Michael 12:13 PM 01-31-2020
Here are some threads with childcare herpes concerns: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=herpes
Cat Herder 12:19 PM 01-31-2020
Herpes Myths vs Facts

Herpes Myth: Only certain sorts of people get herpes.

Fact about herpes: No, it is very common and anyone who has ever had sex can get genital herpes. It's not about being clean, dirty, good or bad – it's about being normal and sexually active.

Herpes Myth: Herpes isn't that common, and I am unlikely to get it.

Fact about herpes: Herpes is very common and may be caused by both herpes simplex type 1 and herpes simplex type 2 (HSV-1 or HSV-2). HSV-1 causes "cold sores" on the mouth, and up to 80% of the population has this virus. However, it may also be transmitted to the genitals through oral-genital sex and about 40% of genital herpes is caused by HSV-1. Up to 22% of sexually active adults have genital herpes caused by HSV-2. Most people with herpes will not have symptoms and therefore will not be aware they have it. 75% of people who have genital herpes get it from partners who are entirely unaware that they have it themselves.

Herpes Myth: Herpes "cold sores" on the mouth are not the same as genital herpes.

Fact about herpes: Cold sores on the mouth or face are caused by HSV-1 and are commonly transmitted to the genitals (causing genital herpes) through oral-to-genital sex. Up to 40% of genital herpes is caused by HSV-1.

Herpes Myth: Herpes can only affect the genital area.

Fact about herpes: HSV-1 typically affects the mouth area. HSV-2 and HSV-1 affect the genitals, pubic area, buttocks, back of the thigh or inner thigh. Herpes can also occur in other parts of the body, although this is less common. On the fingers, it is known as herpes whitlow.

Herpes Myth: People always know if they have genital herpes.

Fact about herpes: No, 80% of those with genital herpes do not know they have it, as they may have no or very mild symptoms.

Herpes Myth: People with herpes are always infectious.

Fact about herpes: A person with herpes is not always infectious but the herpes virus is occasionally shed from the skin when symptoms are not present. Most of the time when you don't have herpes symptoms you are not infectious.

Herpes Myth: When you have an STI check or a cervical smear, it always checks for herpes.

Fact about herpes: Routine sexual health (STI screens) checks and cervical smear tests do not screen or test for herpes. Tests for herpes can only be done if a person has symptoms and a swab is taken directly from the lesion.

Herpes Myth: People with herpes cannot have children.

Fact about herpes: Herpes does not affect fertility in either men or women, and women with genital herpes can have normal pregnancies and vaginal delivery. Herpes can be passed on to babies, but this is rare. If you are pregnant and you or your partner has herpes, tell your health care professional.

Herpes Myth: Herpes causes cervical cancer.

Fact about herpes: Herpes is not associated with cervical abnormalities or cervical cancer. These are caused by HPV (human papillomavirus), which is not herpes.

Herpes Myth: Herpes is passed through blood.

Fact about herpes: Herpes is not present in the blood. People with genital herpes can still donate blood. Genital herpes is only passed through direct skin-to-skin contact, both orally and genitally.

Myth: If you have herpes you should always wear condoms in long-term monogamous relationships.

Fact about herpes: In long-term relationships, most couples choose not to continually use condoms, and understand that getting herpes is just a part of life. (Your partner may already have herpes without being aware of it). Whilst some people may experience troublesome herpes symptoms from time to time, for the majority, herpes is not symptomatic or causes only mild symptoms. Herpes medication is available for those that need it.

Myth: If you have genital herpes you can't have (receive) oral sex.

Fact about herpes: Herpes transmission to the mouth from the genitals is uncommon.

Myth: I can pass herpes to myself from my mouth to my genitals if I accidentally touch myself.

Fact about herpes: Once you have herpes at one site, it is rare to then get the same type at another site. This is because your body develops antibodies which prevent this from happening.

Myth: It's risky living in the same house as someone who has genital herpes.

Fact about herpes: The herpes simplex virus (HSV) is not spread through sharing communal facilities. When the herpes virus leaves living skin cells, it dies. People with genital or facial herpes are able to use the same showers, toilets, washing machines, and swimming pools as anyone else, without the worry of passing on the herpes infection.

https://www.herpes.org.nz/applicatio...es-simplex.pdf
dolores 12:45 PM 01-31-2020
Is herpes considered a chronic condition? In my state, any chronic condition needs a health care plan which is completed by daycare provider and child's physician specific to that child/condition. It has to be submitted and approved by DOH and kept on file. Additionally, if we agree to give anything other than over the counter medication (except epipen, and nebulizer) we have to successfully complete medication administration training afterwhich licensor stamps our license that we are approved to administer medication.
Cat Herder 12:50 PM 01-31-2020
Originally Posted by dolores:
Is herpes considered a chronic condition? In my state, any chronic condition needs a health care plan which is completed by daycare provider and child's physician specific to that child/condition. It has to be submitted and approved by DOH and kept on file. Additionally, if we agree to give anything other than over the counter medication (except epipen, and nebulizer) we have to successfully complete medication administration training afterwhich licensor stamps our license that we are approved to administer medication.
No. We are supposed to assume they all have it and use universal precautions. It is not a reportable illness and requires no extra sanitary steps at all. Unless the child has an open wound that can't be covered there is no risk to anyone, same as if they don't have it.
Unregistered 02:36 PM 01-31-2020
Hi Cat Herder, thank you so much for all of the information! It is greatly appreciated. What about if the kids are sharing a water table? Couldn't live in the water and then go into another child's hand if they have an open sore or something that's not noticed? Diaper changing, if my backup provider would forget to wear gloves and came into contact, could she get it?
MomBoss 03:27 PM 01-31-2020
As long as the sores are covered and there is not contact from a blister to someone elses skin, you and the children are fine.
Ariana 10:50 PM 01-31-2020
Universal precautions like wearing gloves and putting bleach in table water will help. Thorough hand washing of everyone before eating etc.
Cat Herder 04:23 AM 02-01-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi Cat Herder, thank you so much for all of the information! It is greatly appreciated. What about if the kids are sharing a water table? Couldn't live in the water and then go into another child's hand if they have an open sore or something that's not noticed? Diaper changing, if my backup provider would forget to wear gloves and came into contact, could she get it?
Not likely, it is a virus that can't live out of body tissue. It isn't a bacteria/fungus that thrives in warm, moist environments. Your backup provider is protected by her own healthy, unopened, skin. If she has open wounds on her hands she is as likely to pass something as she is to contract something, so it is her responsibility to cover her wounds as well. General rule: If it is ugly, cover it (open wounds). If it is wet, sticky and not yours glove up and wash, wash, wash your hands. Clean the scene, then wash them again.
Tags:health care plan, herpes, training, universal precautions
Reply Up