Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pickup During Nap
Pandaluver21 08:45 PM 09-18-2018
Hello!
So I have run a program for over 10 years, but a majority of that time (at least 8 of them) have been as a preschool.
This year I will actually be doing infant/toddler only for a year or two, and am having to reword my handbook/contract.

Previously, I did not "allow" pick up during nap. They were able to pick up after class (between 12:30 and 12:45) or after nap (any time between 3:30 and close)

However, with infants and toddlers, I will most likely have kids taking one nap, two naps, or possibly more.

I really dislike pickups during nap time, but with a variety of nap times now, I'm not sure how to word this. Our current handbook just says "Please do not pick up between 1 and 3:30pm" Or something along those lines.

I will also be enforcing contracted hours this go around, but haven't done them before. If a parent is "contracted" to pick up at 4:15 for example, and they come at 4:30, that would cause them late fees... but what if they wanted to pick up at 2:30? Some kids might be napping, but I wouldn't charge an "early pickup" fee lol

So how would you word this? I was thinking something like "Due to varied nap times, please stick with your contracted pick up times. Earlier pickups must be Ok'd ahead of time"
Michael 02:18 AM 09-19-2018
Here is a similar thread on the topic: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28461
hwichlaz 06:43 AM 09-19-2018
When you have infants it just won't work. I ask parents not to pick up between 1230 and 300 because that's when the bulk of the kids are resting...but the baby sleeps at 10am and 2pm. Luckily, she's napping through the noise of the other kids so a pick up isn't likely to disturb her.
Pandaluver21 10:50 AM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
When you have infants it just won't work. I ask parents not to pick up between 1230 and 300 because that's when the bulk of the kids are resting...but the baby sleeps at 10am and 2pm. Luckily, she's napping through the noise of the other kids so a pick up isn't likely to disturb her.
I'm not really worried about pickup while the infants are sleeping, since like you said, they learn to sleep through the other kids... But was wondering if I should still have a "general" nap time no pick up. (12:30-3 as you said or 1-:330 as I usually do)

I'm not even sure I'll have once a day nappers, so I'm still not sure :P
LittleExplorers 11:23 AM 09-19-2018
Here we can not say no pick ups during x hours per licensing. We have to allow at any time. With that said I verbally tell parents the importance of naps for all kids and why it is discouraged. In special circumstances I have them text me upon arrival.
Blackcat31 11:29 AM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
Here we can not say no pick ups during x hours per licensing. We have to allow at any time. With that said I verbally tell parents the importance of naps for all kids and why it is discouraged. In special circumstances I have them text me upon arrival.
I get around that new licensing rule by stating I do not enroll children that require a pick up between 12:00 and 3:00

I also include in my handbook that I will allow already enrolled children to be picked up during those hours once in a blue moon if it cannot be avoided but repeated disruptions during that time period may result in termination of services.
Cat Herder 11:52 AM 09-19-2018
My contract says (right after my hours and early drop off/late pick-up spiel) "Pickup's between 1pm - 3pm without prior arrangements are discouraged. If this becomes a disruption to our program parents will be asked to find alternative childcare. Please make sure my hours work for your family prior to enrollment as our daily class schedule is very important to ensure the health, safety, and learning of the children in my care. Thanks in advance."
Snowmom 01:54 PM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
Actually, you can SAY it, you just can't have a written policy on it (per my licensor).

I tell people at the interview: "I am adamant about not picking up during nap time. It's disrespectful to all the families enrolled in my program who rely on rest time for a healthy day. When anyone comes to my home and opens my door- doorbells go off all over my home (and they heard them while walking in!). There is no quiet way to walk into my home. Pick ups can be before 12:45 or after 3pm".

Now with babies who have AM and PM naps, there's just not much you can do besides have a quieter place for them to rest.
Tags:nap - parents pickup, pick up issues
Reply Up