Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Those With Non-Nappers, When Do You Get 5 Min??
DaisyMamma 11:19 AM 02-09-2012
I went from 2 kids during the day to 5 in a matter of a couple of weeks. One of those 5 kids is 4 years old. She doesn't nap, so my 2.5-3 hour break I got everyday is gone gone gone. This little girl is adorable but a typical 4 year old chatter box. I need a good half hour to recoup and wondering how everyone does it?
I'm considering mandatory quiet time for a 1/2 hour to an hour where she can either lay down and relax, watch a movie or read books. This way I can at least get a few minutes to my own thoughts! And I usually do a considerable amount of cleaning during nap too...
SilverSabre25 11:23 AM 02-09-2012
yep, mandatory quiet time is what I do for my 4 yo DD who doesn't nap, and what I will do for any dck that needs to not nap. DD is in her room for 1/2 hr, then gets three short shows or one long one ( I netflix streaming), then can play quietly.
Solandia 11:28 AM 02-09-2012
For the 4yo+, I have always required a 30min rest period (they can SILENTLY read books, but must lay down and no chattering to each other or to themselves). Any chatter, and the timer starts over. After the 30min of silence, then I will turn on the TV for pbskids. HOWEVER, it is quiet time rules from 1-3pm. Rules: quiet talking/whispering, only quiet toys/books, and everyone must stay in their own space...no playing together. They can play quietly in their own space, or watch tv.

Occasionally I will have a kid that cannot keep to themselves and/or bouncing off the walls (so one kid keeps resetting the 30min quiet)...after a couple of resets, this problem maker gets to lay down on a cot with the little kids & me while the others continue on being successful at quiet time.

Do not feel sorry for my school agers when they have the day off school...they NEED this down time, it is good for their brains & bodies. It also teaches them to play by themselves/entertain themselves AND teaches being considerate to the littles who have higher needs then themselves.
greenhouse 11:36 AM 02-09-2012
My boys have completely opposite nap schedules and it drives me nuts. I do things in the am and after DS goes to sleep. I keep up with little cleaning during the day. I never eat in peace or use the bathroom alone. I've been trying to get the 18 mo old to take one normal mid day nap, but he's narcoleptic every 3 hours.
momma2girls 11:39 AM 02-09-2012
I require everyone here quiet time/nap time every day.
LittleD 11:58 AM 02-09-2012
It may not be PC but for those ones, I have them watch a movie. If they don't want to watch a movie, they can lay there quietly for the one hour rest period. They always choose a movie

I have cleared it with the parents first mind you. They are ok with it.
saved4always 12:03 PM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by LittleD:
It may not be PC but for those ones, I have them watch a movie. If they don't want to watch a movie, they can lay there quietly for the one hour rest period. They always choose a movie

I have cleared it with the parents first mind you. They are ok with it.
I used to have one 4 year old non-napper. She was actually a child who would sleep but the parent didn't want her to nap because supposedly napping was why she did not go to sleep until after 11 p.m. every night. I actually think it was more they allowed her to run the house. I would have her watch a movie on the couch with a blankie and also some books while the younger kids all napped. Half the time she would fall asleep.
sahm2three 12:36 PM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
yep, mandatory quiet time is what I do for my 4 yo DD who doesn't nap, and what I will do for any dck that needs to not nap. DD is in her room for 1/2 hr, then gets three short shows or one long one ( I netflix streaming), then can play quietly.
I agree. I am not the older kids playmate. Quiet time is quiet time. Give her some quiet things to do, but tell her she must be quiet.
Preschool/daycare teacher 07:48 PM 02-09-2012
Our children are expected to either nap or lay quietly without talking or playing the whole nap time (there's only 1 room they can nap in, so if someone is allowed to do quiet activities on their cots, they always end up waking someone up, and the only other room opens up to the room they sleep in, without a door, so if they go in there to "play quietly" it's never quiet enough). As long as they are not laying next to anyone who is awake, they all will lay quietly until everyone else gets up. But most of the time we have all nappers. Even the 4 & 5 yr olds. When we have a schoolager, most of the time they'll actually want to go to sleep too! And the parents encourage it... believe it or not!
mac60 03:28 AM 02-10-2012
For children not in school it is not an option here. Why lay down when I can watch tv, play, etc. I agree with above poster. Quiet time is just that, sleep or don't sleep, their choice, but they stay on their spot and they are quiet. In my experience (because I have tried it and it doesn't work), when you allow 1 to have books or a quiet toy, then the next one whines are wants the same. It is easier to treat everyone the same....
melskids 04:26 AM 02-10-2012
I have children here who do not nap.

I could never make a child lay on a mat with nothing to do for an extended amount of time.

I know I couldnt lay there for two hours staring at the ceiling...I'd go out of my mind.

We MUST have a quiet period of time though, to let the ones get rest who need it.

To start out, I lay ALL of the children down, and they must lay quietly until the sleepers fall asleep.

Many times, they all will pass out.

If not, the non nappers are allowed to have QUIET activities, either on their mats, or at their table. They color, read, do puzzles, that sort of thing.

They KNOW they MUST play quietly, or they lay back down on their mat. I am pretty strict about this, and they know it. It's whispers and light walking feet only.

I make sure to put all the "nappers" at one end of the room, as far away as possible.

As far as my getting a "break"....It's just not that big of a deal to me. As long as they are quietly engaged, I go about my business. I clean up the lunch mess, do dishes, fold laundry, plan lessons, come here or read a book myself. Sometimes I do a special activity or play a board game with them.

I don't need them to be "asleep" to get my own break.

The school agers can either play in my sons room, when HE'S in the mood for that..., have quiet activities, go outside, or QUIETLY play some educational Wii games or computer games we have. (out in the living room)

Our quiet time is very mellow, laid back, quiet, and just what we do. It's a familiar routine, and just what works for us.
LittleD 06:51 AM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
I have children here who do not nap.

If not, the non nappers are allowed to have QUIET activities, either on their mats, or at their table. They color, read, do puzzles, that sort of thing.

They KNOW they MUST play quietly, or they lay back down on their mat. I am pretty strict about this, and they know it. It's whispers and light walking feet only.
We couldn't do that here, I had 2 4yr olds and 1 5 yr old, and quiet feet ALWAYS ended up stomping feet with in 1 minute. AND they didn't have whisper voices, there was 2 volumes: loud and loudest
mac60 08:01 AM 02-10-2012
It may be possible if you use more than one area of the home for napping, but when the nap room is the daycare room is the family room, etc. it is very hard to allow 1 or 2 freedom from laying down and being quiet.
Hunni Bee 10:01 AM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by LittleD:
We couldn't do that here, I had 2 4yr olds and 1 5 yr old, and quiet feet ALWAYS ended up stomping feet with in 1 minute. AND they didn't have whisper voices, there was 2 volumes: loud and loudest
Mine never understood "play quietly and leave ME alone". They could never whisper to me, it would just get louder and louder until they started waking up the others. And plus that was the only time I had to clean, do my daily paperwork, stare at the wall for 5 minutes, etc...

Thankfully, I have no non-nappers now.
melskids 10:44 AM 02-10-2012
Here's a good post on quiet time activity.

http://auntannieschildcare.blogspot....ternative.html

I am IN NO WAY saying any of you are wrong. Just sharing a different perspective.
AmyLeigh 12:37 PM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
Here's a good post on quiet time activity.

http://auntannieschildcare.blogspot....ternative.html

I am IN NO WAY saying any of you are wrong. Just sharing a different perspective.
Amen and amen!! Thank you for posting.

I have only one napper. She is in a PNP and asleep 15 minutes after lunch is over. I had to put the PNP at the end of the hallway, as she is a light sleeper and needs quiet and dark. So that is her 'space' to nap everyday. The other children know the routine and don't go near her unless they need to use the restroom. Even then, they are very quiet and respectful of her nap.
I don't require the others have actual naps. But they are older, 5 and almost 5. One of whom would be in school this year had he been born like 2 days earlier. They can have down time, rest if needed, watch a movie, or play quietly in the playroom or in the backyard. I usually will make suggestions based on their behavior. We all know that our kiddos act differently when they need to rest.
I guess I don't need the time to myself like some do. They usually let me do my own thing whenever I need to do it. I can clean, read, surf, whatever, while they are enjoying themselves and each other's company.
That's why I say we are a big happy family. It works for us.
DaisyMamma 05:58 PM 02-12-2012
Thanks everyone for your responses. I need to find the best solution for her and I. I cant see having her lay down for the entire nap time, but I think many kids benefit from a half hour of quiet.
wahmof3 11:56 AM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
For children not in school it is not an option here. Why lay down when I can watch tv, play, etc. I agree with above poster. Quiet time is just that, sleep or don't sleep, their choice, but they stay on their spot and they are quiet. In my experience (because I have tried it and it doesn't work), when you allow 1 to have books or a quiet toy, then the next one whines are wants the same. It is easier to treat everyone the same....
This is my rule as well. If you are not in school I require a nap/rest time. If the child doesn't sleep its ok they need a rest break and they will lie down. I have yet to have an issue with it. Not saying that I won't get that child that refuses to sleep and disrupts everyones nap, but I will cross that bridge when I get there- so far it works for me
momma2girls 12:18 PM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
I totally agree with you. I have tried it as well, totally doesn't work here.
gelbesonn 04:40 PM 02-13-2012
I have one non-napper.... DS (2.5yrs)-- his choice. It makes bedtimes so much easier. Up until recently, I would put him in his crib with a few books and toys and he would play, sing, talk the whole time (he's alone in his room). Now since we've transitioned to a twin bed this month, his quiet time has shorted a bunch. I agree with pp that you can't force them to sleep, but I'd love to find a way for him to stay in one place (besides on my lap). I think I just need to be a little more firm with my expectations.
lol... today I told him he needed to stay in his room (gave him the choice to play and provided activities) until his music turned off (a 60 min CD). He turned it off after 15-20 min and came out... told me the music was off. Smarty pants.
DS:1, mommy:0.
Tags:non sleepers, time off
Reply Up