Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bathroom Items
lovemykidstoo 03:27 PM 03-09-2018
Our main bathroom is used for dck's that are toilet trained. What does everyone do with shower products and things like toothpaste etc. It's not like my family can have everything they use once or twice a day under lock and key.
CalCare 05:01 PM 03-09-2018
My family has everything they use once or twice a day under lock and key lol! Toothbrushes and hairbrushes can be in a drawer. One hand soap pump dispenser is in the counter. In the cabinet with childlock is toothpaste, floss, makeup, shampoo conditioner, body wash, mouth wash, everything! I unlock it when my own kids do night toothbrushing (I have a 5 and a 10 year old), and I leave it unlocked overnight and the kids use their stuff again in the a.m. Then I lock it before I open at 9 a.m.
lovemykidstoo 07:24 PM 03-09-2018
Originally Posted by CalCare:
My family has everything they use once or twice a day under lock and key lol! Toothbrushes and hairbrushes can be in a drawer. One hand soap pump dispenser is in the counter. In the cabinet with childlock is toothpaste, floss, makeup, shampoo conditioner, body wash, mouth wash, everything! I unlock it when my own kids do night toothbrushing (I have a 5 and a 10 year old), and I leave it unlocked overnight and the kids use their stuff again in the a.m. Then I lock it before I open at 9 a.m.
So the shampoo and conditioner you take from the shower every day and then lock it up? I just can't see my daughter (17) doing that lol. I wonder if I got one of those things that hang over the shower nozzle. It would be too high for them to reach. Would that work?
proudmommyofthree 08:05 PM 03-09-2018
My daughters 22 and 17 have a bathroom Caddy that they take in and out of the bathroom everyday. They keep this Caddy In their bedrooms. It’s a pain but they know they can not leave anything in the bathroom. The Caddy has their shampoo, conditioner, razors, toothpaste, everything they use. They shower at night. In the morning they take their toothpaste and toothbrush in and then bring it back to their bedrooms. Once in a while they will forget to leave it in the restroom , but for the most part they remember . My son who is 10, showers in my bathroom. So I don’t have to worry about him forgetting anything in the Daycare bathroom.
jenboo 09:54 PM 03-09-2018
Ive always left it in the shower and medicine cabinet. I have never had to remove anything from my bathroom.
CalCare 10:05 PM 03-09-2018
I started off with caddies for my kids, but soon realized it was much easier for me to just put it in the cabinet and lock it every day. And in CA, yes, we cannot have anything unlocked that says "keep out of reach of children" on it. Which every soap etc does. They only allow one single soap dispenser on the counter for hand washing. Which I believe defeats the whole purpose of the rule since they can ingest that one bottle, right? So why not have three? (As in a shampoo and conditioner as well lol)
Josiegirl 02:22 AM 03-10-2018
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Ive always left it in the shower and medicine cabinet. I have never had to remove anything from my bathroom.
Same here. Last time they asked/checked, they said over the shower holders were fine, just not sitting on the edge of the tub anywhere.
But who the heck knows now, maybe they've changed that too. I haven't been inspected for 2 yrs. and a month so I've way over due.
lovemykidstoo 05:50 AM 03-10-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Same here. Last time they asked/checked, they said over the shower holders were fine, just not sitting on the edge of the tub anywhere.
But who the heck knows now, maybe they've changed that too. I haven't been inspected for 2 yrs. and a month so I've way over due.
That's what I'm remembering too. Our shower has the built in shelves and there are some that are higher up. I think I just made sure that they were on the higher shelf. I know I never got written up about it. I'm thinking of doing one of these dispensers partly because of daycare, but also partly because my daughter likes to have 10 different bottles of stuff and it would force her to go down to 3. lol. Wonder if this would suffice for licensing.
Attached: dispenser.jpg (176.0 KB) 
Country Kids 08:21 AM 03-10-2018
We have to have everything out of the shower/bathroom area-shampoo, soap, razors, facewash, anything like that. Then mouthwash, toothpaste has to also be locked up.

So best bet, have shower caddies with everything needed in it so they can grab the whole thing while going in the shower.

Maybe have a drawer locked or something that can lock for toothbrushes, toothpaste and mouthwash.
lovemykidstoo 01:54 PM 03-10-2018
What's the easiest way to do diaper changing? I currently have a lined container and empty it at the end of the day, but wanted to see if anyone had a better idea that meets regs.
Josiegirl 02:03 PM 03-10-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
What's the easiest way to do diaper changing? I currently have a lined container and empty it at the end of the day, but wanted to see if anyone had a better idea that meets regs.
I used to have a lined container too but could never find a place to keep it that would be easy enough for me and out of reach of the kids. So I did away with it. I have a laundry basket at the bottom of my basement stairs and throw them all down there, bagging the poopy diapers of course. Then every night I go downstairs and throw them all into my garbage container. It works well for me.
lovemykidstoo 08:27 PM 03-10-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I used to have a lined container too but could never find a place to keep it that would be easy enough for me and out of reach of the kids. So I did away with it. I have a laundry basket at the bottom of my basement stairs and throw them all down there, bagging the poopy diapers of course. Then every night I go downstairs and throw them all into my garbage container. It works well for me.
That's a great idea. I have a laundry chute right next to my bathroom. It's not the kind that is in the wall either, so they won't get stuck. It's actually a hole in the floor with a door on it that opens up.
Lil_Diddle 11:33 PM 03-10-2018
Some of these licensing rules are so insane, how do they think children survive at home? I can’t help but laugh, and remind myself this is why I will continue to stay a small unlicensed in-Home daycare. Where I’m at we can keep 4 children unrelated. So far it has worked out pretty good with no one coming into my home telling me what I can and can’t do
lovemykidstoo 07:19 AM 03-11-2018
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
Some of these licensing rules are so insane, how do they think children survive at home? I can’t help but laugh, and remind myself this is why I will continue to stay a small unlicensed in-Home daycare. Where I’m at we can keep 4 children unrelated. So far it has worked out pretty good with no one coming into my home telling me what I can and can’t do
I know it really does drive me insane. I mean, we do everything under the sun and yet these kids go home and their parents have shampoo in the shower (gasp) and toothpaste in the drawers (double gasp) and the children survive. How is that possible? lol
CalCare 09:21 AM 03-11-2018
Well we would skip licensing if we could lol not legal in CA
Josiegirl 03:24 PM 03-11-2018
Something I don't understand is why doesn't every single state have the same rules to play by? It gets confusing when each state does things so differently.
BrynleeJean 04:50 PM 03-11-2018
My family has their toiletries under the sink in a basket that I can grab and stick on the back of the toilets water tank when needed and the cabinet has those child proof things on them so they are good soap is out all the time off course. A medicine cabinet would be nice to install a shelf with cabinets above the toilet could work as well!
MarinaVanessa 08:43 PM 03-11-2018
Originally Posted by CalCare:
I started off with caddies for my kids, but soon realized it was much easier for me to just put it in the cabinet and lock it every day. And in CA, yes, we cannot have anything unlocked that says "keep out of reach of children" on it. Which every soap etc does. They only allow one single soap dispenser on the counter for hand washing. Which I believe defeats the whole purpose of the rule since they can ingest that one bottle, right? So why not have three? (As in a shampoo and conditioner as well lol)
Technically only things considered poisons (things meant to kill like rat poison, bug spray etc) are required to be locked up. Everything else that says "keep out of the reach of children" just has to be "inaccessible".

Title 22 says ...
102417 OPERATION OF A FAMILY CHILD CARE HOME
(g) The home shall be free from defects or conditions which might endanger a child. Safety precautions shall include but not be limited to:
(4) Poisons, detergents, cleaning compounds, medicines, firearms and other items which could pose a
danger if readily available to children shall be stored where they are inaccessible to children.
(A) Storage areas for poisons, firearms and other dangerous weapons shall be locked.

The Title 22 Analyst Interpretations Says ...
(g)(4) POLICY
Storage areas for poisons shall be locked. A lock is defined as: a key or combination operated mechanism used to fasten shut a door, lid, or the like. Child proof devises and
safety latches are not considered locks unless they are key or combination-operated. For purposes of the locking requirement, poison is defined to include only the most lethal substances, most often those designed specifically for killing, such as bug spray, rat poison, weed killer, etc.

A number of other common household items are clearly potentially hazardous to the health of children and need to be made inaccessible. Something which is inaccessible is capable of being reached only with great difficulty or not at all because of its location, or because of some kind of barrier or device that effectively prevents a child from getting to it. Placing an item in a cupboard above the refrigerator is considered to be making it inaccessible. A hook and eye latch on a cabinet or door, placed where a child would be unable to reach it would not be considered a lock (see above) but would be acceptable as a means of keeping items inaccessible. Products advertised as childproof devices or safety latches can be used to make
items inaccessible, as long as they are correctly installed, are sturdy enough to withstand pulls and tugs from children and easy for an adult to install and use. Safety latches are not a guarantee of protection. No device is completely childproof: proper supervision is always
necessary and required.

PROCEDURE
Examples of hazardous materials which need to be kept out of reach of children include:
• Kitchen: all sharp utensils and cutlery, cleaning supplies, medicines, liquor cabinets, plastic bags, sharp or small things children can swallow, etc.
• Bathroom: shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, medicines, perfumes/lotions, cosmetics, solvents, etc.
• Garage and outdoors: solvents, gasoline, oil, turpentine, paint, sharp tools, lawnmowers, gardening tools, and any other possible danger to children, etc.
CalCare 10:46 PM 03-11-2018
Thank you for all the details All I know is, the lady told me none of it could be out but one soap dispenser! So I put it all in the cabinet with a childlock every night and morning. It works alright anyway. But I have always thought it odd that the kid could guzzle that one soap dispenser just as easily as a bunch of toothpaste. So what's the point of allowing any of it if not all of it!
lovemykidstoo 04:58 AM 03-12-2018
I have been inspected here before and have not had issues at all with where I store things and I don't think I had my toothpaste put away, only in the drawer and it didn't have a safety latch. Of course I always have my cleaning products inside the closet on the top shelf. I did not get written up for that before, but want to make sure the rules that are changing in Michigan are the same.

I didn't have my bedroom used as daycare space before but would like that. We have an attached bathroom that has my husbands medicine in it, shampoo etc. I wonder if it's sufficient if I put a hook/eye on the door to the bathroom or one of those things that clip on the handle of the door so the kids can't open it. I'm sure it doesn't matter if the child is in a pack and play sleeping or not since they can crawl out of it.
LysesKids 08:52 AM 03-12-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
So the shampoo and conditioner you take from the shower every day and then lock it up? I just can't see my daughter (17) doing that lol. I wonder if I got one of those things that hang over the shower nozzle. It would be too high for them to reach. Would that work?
In some states it's mandatory to lock up; I remember my very first inspection in WV (2000)... got written up for soap on my personal bathroom sink (where kids were not allowed).
Tags:bathroom procedures, bathroom safety, regulations, safety
Reply Up