Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Napping Babies near Other Children
jenboo 09:55 AM 02-20-2020
Im going to try to describe this the best I can.
My living room and daycare room are separated by a wall but the doorway is open. I like to nap the littlest babies in the livingroom so they are close by and not back in a bedroom. The other Kids play in the daycare room. The problem im having for the first time is a very loud. She happy shrieks, squeals and bangs everything. She is only 14 months adjusted so she obviously doesn't know what she is doing.
Im at a loss. I have very crabby babies because they can't sleep. She is constantly waking them up everytime I get them to sleep. I have sound machines and music going. It's not helping.

And ideas on what to do? Do I just need to move the 3 month olds into the bedroom for nap? Help!!!
Valerie928 02:15 PM 02-20-2020
I would nap the babies in the other room. For your sanity. I have a Similar set up as yours. Been set up this way for 5 years and it works well.
jenboo 04:15 PM 02-20-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
I would nap the babies in the other room. For your sanity. I have a Similar set up as yours. Been set up this way for 5 years and it works well.
So you would nap the 3 months old down the hall and in a bedroom? I want to make sure I'm understanding.
Cat Herder 02:40 AM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by jenboo:
So you would nap the 3 months old down the hall and in a bedroom? I want to make sure I'm understanding.
I would not recommend that. That is why the provider did not notice when my son stopped breathing.

Maybe create a play space in the bedroom for the screecher, instead? Move her there when she wakes. Maybe even have her a nap mat in there until she progresses past this phase?
Annalee 04:55 AM 02-21-2020
My 12 children nap in the same room. I run two fans and kiddie music. Children under 12 months are in pack and plays.
jenboo 05:54 AM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I would not recommend that. That is why the provider did not notice when my son stopped breathing.

Maybe create a play space in the bedroom for the screecher, instead? Move her there when she wakes. Maybe even have her a nap mat in there until she progresses past this phase?
Its the morning naps that are getting interrupted while the screecher plays. Screecher only takes an afternoon nap.
jenboo 05:56 AM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My 12 children nap in the same room. I run two fans and kiddie music. Children under 12 months are in pack and plays.
Do you have any really loud kids? I havent had any issues until now. This little girl is just so loud and the babies cannot sleep through it.
For clarification, its the morning naps that are getting interrupted while loud CDG is playing (she only takes an afternoon nap). I have sound machines with white noise right under the cribs and music in the daycare room but she is so loud... like i have a headache everyday loud.
Cat Herder 06:31 AM 02-21-2020
Have they tested her hearing?
rosieteddy 06:37 AM 02-21-2020
When is morning nap? I readjusted my program to do Storytime and table activities with the toddlers while babies slept.Maybe take loudest toys away at that time.I know the "screamer"is just playing could you have things like playdoh or puzzles to keep the excitement down?Its so hard to get babies adjusted .
Annalee 08:57 AM 02-21-2020
Do you have any really loud kids? I havent had any issues until now. This little girl is just so loud and the babies cannot sleep through it.
For clarification, its the morning naps that are getting interrupted while loud CDG is playing (she only takes an afternoon nap). I have sound machines with white noise right under the cribs and music in the daycare room but she is so loud... like i have a headache everyday loud.
My loud, boisterous dcb15mos is on a cot directly near the fan and a sound machine. He hollers “momma” when
He wakes a couple times during nap but ?? Not sure how loud your loud one is. 😊. I do give my loud one a book sometimes and consistent ssshhh while the others sleep. I have found when I whisper to him he tries to whisper as well. It would be worth having your little
Ones ears checked?
e.j. 09:02 AM 02-21-2020
When I have infants who nap in the morning, I have the other kids work on crafts or play with Playdoh at the kitchen table. They tend to be much quieter sitting at the table doing an activity than when they're free-playing. If a toddler is too young to actually do the craft I have planned, I'll give her/him a piece of construction paper, a clean paintbrush and just enough water to wet the brush. They have fun "painting" the paper. If they're using Playdoh, I sit next to the youngest one so I can help and make sure the Playdoh isn't being eaten. Usually, the kids will play with Playdoh for as long as I let them so the infant can get a good nap in. (Babies who are new to my care have to be within my sight at all times so they're sleeping in a bassinet in the same room as the other kids and most still manage to get some sleep.)
jenboo 10:51 AM 02-21-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
My loud, boisterous dcb15mos is on a cot directly near the fan and a sound machine. He hollers “momma” when
He wakes a couple times during nap but ?? Not sure how loud your loud one is. 😊. I do give my loud one a book sometimes and consistent ssshhh while the others sleep. I have found when I whisper to him he tries to whisper as well. It would be worth having your little
Ones ears checked?
Yeah her hearing is fine. She was born 23 weeks and has everything followed closely.
jenboo 10:58 AM 02-21-2020
More info:
So the issue I'm having is during morning nap when the 3 month olds are napping and the 12+ month toddlers are playing. DCG is 14 months adjusted but developmentally closer to my almost 1 year old. I only watch kids under 24 months so I don't thinks is really appropriate to try and have them do table activities for 1-2hrs so they will be quiet.
DCG is just happy and loud. Im not sure what else to try to get the little babies to sleep through the noise.
tenderhearts 12:12 PM 02-21-2020
In my state they can sleep down a hall in a bedroom however the door has to stay like half open and the lighting has to be enough that you can see the color of their skin and of course the room has to be daycare safe even though they are in a pack n play
Valerie928 02:27 PM 02-21-2020
I must have misunderstood your set up. My srt up is that my main daycare space is my living room and morning room, the two are connected. My home office/ where the baby sleeps is connected to my living room, door stays open baby gate there. The room provides less stimulation and I am right there, able to keep my eyes on baby.
Ariana 08:33 PM 02-21-2020
I would definitely try to get the 14 month old to be more quiet by letting her know shrieking is not appropriate. Depending on what she is banging on I would try and swap it out for softer quieter things in that room while babies are napping. I don’t think limiting over the top crazy loud play is inappropriate at all for this age!

Otherwise the babies will have to get used to it.
rosieteddy 04:34 PM 02-23-2020
You could serve snack, do story time and then a little adult led play time modeling quieter activities in your playspace. Obviously two hours at the table wouldn't work for any age. Naptime is hard when the children are sharing the area.
jenboo 09:20 AM 02-24-2020
Thanks everyone! This week I'll work on getting DCG to be quieter. Hopefully we have some progress!
Tags:loud child, nap, nap problems, naptime
Reply Up