Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Too Much Walking?
Play Care 11:18 AM 10-07-2013
For those who do walking field trips, how far is too far? I'm asking because I transport to preschool that is a little under a mile away. On the days the kids go, they don't get enough outside time. I've been thinking about walking them to and from so they get something. I do have a stroller but I would be encouraging (insisting!) they mostly walk, especially in the areas with sidewalks. The kids who would be walking are 3 and 4 if that makes a difference.
butterfly 12:21 PM 10-07-2013
a mile seems like a long ways for little people. I don't know. I've gone several blocks - maybe it's even close to a mile, but not on a regular basis and it's without time restraints. If it took us all day, it would have been fine. You probably couldn't be too leisurely in your walk though if you have to pick up preschoolers.

Could you try it on a day when you don't HAVE to go? Then you could time it and see if everyone is able to handle the walk.
dingledine 12:32 PM 10-07-2013
I wouldn't do more than .25 or .5 of a mile, with them walking. Plus, you can't play the in and out game with strollers, or they will likely start refusing to go in them, and constantly fussing to ride in them, or hop in and out at will.
ihop 12:33 PM 10-07-2013
We walk around trip 1 mile to the park. I have a 2.5yo who makes the walk without issue. It does take a long time however. Typically 30-40 min one way. And she is pretty tired after the walk and park playing.

I agree with pp about trying on a day that you don't need to pick them up to see how they do.
itlw8 12:35 PM 10-07-2013
if it is a little under a mile away then round trip is a bit under 2 miles
childcarebytori 12:49 PM 10-07-2013
We do a 2 mile walk each morning (one mile each way). Everyone 18 months and up does the walk but we do allow those under 2 years to ride in the wagon on the way back if they want. It gets the blood flowing, keeps us fit and is great exercise.

We do a nature hike every other week and it's an average of 5 miles round trip.

So many people are surprised that my kids do the walk without complaint. Most of the kids will even run the entire time. We keep it routine and fun and the kids have a blast counting cars, finding sticks and singing songs.

We train them early so they are fantastic walkers by the time they head to school
Heidi 12:54 PM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by childcarebytori:
We do a 2 mile walk each morning (one mile each way). Everyone 18 months and up does the walk but we do allow those under 2 years to ride in the wagon on the way back if they want. It gets the blood flowing, keeps us fit and is great exercise.

We do a nature hike every other week and it's an average of 5 miles round trip.

So many people are surprised that my kids do the walk without complaint. Most of the kids will even run the entire time. We keep it routine and fun and the kids have a blast counting cars, finding sticks and singing songs.

We train them early so they are fantastic walkers by the time they head to school
We've done 1 mile easily, so I'm sure 2 is doable.
Play Care 01:02 PM 10-07-2013
Yeah, these are older kids, not littles and all are getting to the stage where they need way more exercise then just romping in the yard provides. I would have the stroller so we can use that if necessary - and my assistant would keep the little ones home so the only kids taking the trip would be those going to school. So while it's a total of two miles, it would be a few hours between each mile which is the only reason I'm considering it.
spud912 02:01 PM 10-07-2013
If it's only once per day, I say yes! Just allow a lot of time. With the exception of our 5 month long "summer" season, we take long walks. I start out slow and short this time of year and by the time March rolls around, we are doing a 2-2.5 mile walk at least once or twice per week.
Leigh 02:09 PM 10-07-2013
My 2.5 yo's and up can easily do 2 miles and still want more-they LOVE to go for walks!
Jack Sprat 12:26 PM 10-09-2013
We do a two mile walk each day. 18 months and younger go in the stroller. Older walk. They do great and love the walk.
Tags:field trip, walking, walking - how far, walking distance
Reply Up