Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Broken Bone?
Unregistered 10:26 AM 04-15-2020
Child is 2 years old and broke arm at home. How soon would you let child attend daycare? I have no experience with caring for someone with a broken bone. I assume the little one will be in pain for awhile?
Unregistered 11:57 AM 04-15-2020
I would obtain a dr's note on what to do and when. If you're unable to accommodate, then you can set your own parameters on what you're comfortable with. When I did licensed center care, I had a couple of children with broken bones and a couple with concussions (none from my care!). It was hard not having them run, because there were so many kids they would start running before I could get to them. Being in-home, there are less kids so it's probably easier to provide that 1:1 help for a small child who probably does not really understand how to act.

What does your insurance cover, if you have any? Would it cover any further accidental injuries? Maybe put something in writing the parents sign stating they are not going to blame you for any further injury?
Cat Herder 01:00 PM 04-15-2020
I just have them get waterproof cast covers for daycare. https://www.walgreens.com/q/waterproof+cast+covers

Broken arms are much easier than legs to accommodate.
AmyKidsCo 01:15 PM 04-15-2020
I had a 2 yr old break her leg here. She went home the day she broke it, stayed home 1 day, then came back the next - scooting all over in her cast. She didn't need any pain meds or anything. I'd say a day at home should be enough for an arm too.
flying_babyb 03:56 PM 04-17-2020
Had a broken arm child. The child had gone down the slide with mom, got his arm caught under moms leg and broke it. He was back after a day. As long as the child isnt in pain and isnt aggressive (the little boy was our biter, and hitter. After being back for 3 mins he tried to use his cast as a weapon (ps those things hurt when ya get hit)/) he should be fine after being a out a day
Meeko 05:47 AM 04-20-2020
Depends on the child and parents.

If the child doesn't seem bothered, then probably not a problem.

But if a child can't participate in the regular day and/or the parents have a list of do's and don'ts and special requirements.....then stay at home for a while.
daycarediva 10:55 AM 04-20-2020
Water proof cast, participating as normal without the need of pain meds
Tags:broken bone, broken bones, cast
Reply Up