Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Melt Down at Pick Up
Valerie928 03:31 PM 04-24-2019
I just mentioned the other day about doing bye bye outside with a 16 month old I have......well, now my almost 3 yr old dcg has been weird at pick up too. She is pretty good here, been coming over a year. When mom comes she acts out a bit but today mom walked in for pick up, dcg slowly melts to the floor and starts crying crocodile tears. No reason at all, we had a good, normal day. I just stood there, said nothing as I have been doing DC for over 20 years and nothing phases me anymore nor do I have any sympathy for crap like this at pick up. My question is, is this another good candidate for bye bye outside?
Snowmom 06:26 AM 04-25-2019
If it's not a common occurrence for the child, then I would first let her know what to expect at pick up time (tell her what's happening next and what her role is) and see how that works.
If it continues, definitely change the routine.

Personally, I find it easier to get all kids ready to go and play out front on the sidewalk at pick up time. It makes it quick and easy for me. Plus, it cuts down on issues like: kids hanging on doors/hooks, picking my flowers, kicking my landscaping... you know, the things that damage my property and don't seem to be corrected timely.
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 04-25-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
If it's not a common occurrence for the child, then I would first let her know what to expect at pick up time (tell her what's happening next and what her role is) and see how that works.
If it continues, definitely change the routine.

Personally, I find it easier to get all kids ready to go and play out front on the sidewalk at pick up time. It makes it quick and easy for me. Plus, it cuts down on issues like: kids hanging on doors/hooks, picking my flowers, kicking my landscaping... you know, the things that damage my property and don't seem to be corrected timely.
I do this as well.

Most my kids are good about pick up but those that struggle sometimes are easier outside verses inside.

When we are inside, my parents stay behind the gate in the cubby room and I have to "lead" their child to them whereas outside, I don't mind if the parent has to run laps around the house trying to snag their resisting child.
Valerie928 09:21 AM 04-25-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do this as well.

Most my kids are good about pick up but those that struggle sometimes are easier outside verses inside.

When we are inside, my parents stay behind the gate in the cubby room and I have to "lead" their child to them whereas outside, I don't mind if the parent has to run laps around the house trying to snag their resisting child.
I wish I could be outdoors at pick up with kids all the time! I do so as much as possible. It is quite fun to watch parents herd their kids. I am so over all the drama at pick ups. Just get your kid and go.....seriously parents! Also, if a kid does mess with my landscaping I promptly stop it. My house and such is not for ruining! Sorry...just been a funky couple weeks for me and daycare🙄
Blackcat31 09:39 AM 04-25-2019
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
I wish I could be outdoors at pick up with kids all the time! I do so as much as possible. It is quite fun to watch parents herd their kids. I am so over all the drama at pick ups. Just get your kid and go.....seriously parents! Also, if a kid does mess with my landscaping I promptly stop it. My house and such is not for ruining! Sorry...just been a funky couple weeks for me and daycare🙄
Here too!

Hoping things start getting better for you!

If the kids stay crazy here I'm gonna be a regular at the liquor store! lol!
Tags:bye bye outside, meltdown, pick up behavior
Reply Up