Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vent - Am I Wrong To Be Annoyed?
DaycareMom 01:33 PM 01-20-2014
DCM just texted me "Running late. Had to get my headlight fixed."

A headlight can wait and be taken care of on her own time - am I right? I could understand a flat tire or an emergency type of situation but a headlight?!?! And if she had just come straight from work, then she wouldn't have even needed her headlight.
I am so annoyed!
Cat Herder 01:46 PM 01-20-2014
Make her late fee stick, no guilt and call it a day.

I'd be annoyed she did not think about you, but I'd like the extra $$...

Hope the week get's better.
Blackcat31 01:46 PM 01-20-2014
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:

A headlight can wait and be taken care of on her own time - am I right? I could understand a flat tire or an emergency type of situation but a headlight?!?! And if she had just come straight from work, then she wouldn't have even needed her headlight.
I am so annoyed!
My reply: "You'll have to take care of it after you pick up Billy from care. I close promptly at 5:00. Thank you"
Unregistered 01:48 PM 01-20-2014

I am so annoyed!
Maybe her headlight burnt out and she meant she went to Auto Zone, popped in or had an autozone guy pop in a headlight. It's super easy to do and takes no more than 10 minutes if she lets them do it (maybe more if SHE tried it). Driving w/o a working one can be illegal and get her a ticket. Unless she does this sort of thing a lot and makes up excuses all the time, I would cut her a break and think what if it were you in the same scenario? She did text you and did let you know as she was on the way. My problem would be if she didn't say anything and just showed up late.
Blackcat31 01:58 PM 01-20-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Maybe her headlight burnt out and she meant she went to Auto Zone, popped in or had an autozone guy pop in a headlight. It's super easy to do and takes no more than 10 minutes if she lets them do it (maybe more if SHE tried it). Driving w/o a working one can be illegal and get her a ticket. Unless she does this sort of thing a lot and makes up excuses all the time, I would cut her a break and think what if it were you in the same scenario? She did text you and did let you know as she was on the way. My problem would be if she didn't say anything and just showed up late.
So if she has some guy at AutoZone do it, why can't it be done AFTER she picks up her child?

Why is the daycare provider always the one that has to cut the parent a break?

The mom could have done it over her lunch hour and sent her boss a text saying she'd be late clocking back in for the same reasons.....
Cat Herder 02:05 PM 01-20-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So if she has some guy at AutoZone do it, why can't it be done AFTER she picks up her child?

The mom could have done it over her lunch hour and sent her boss a text saying she'd be late clocking back in for the same reasons.....
Yep. The bolded would cost her money, so she does not do that.

If the provider also costs her money, she'll find a better option... like after pick-up as you suggested.
Lucy 02:25 PM 01-20-2014

I am so annoyed!
I would have texted back immediately saying, "No, I need to go to an appt. just as soon as you get here."
DaycareMom 02:50 PM 01-20-2014
She only ended up being 5 mins late and she is never late so I didn't charge any fees ...

The kicker? DCB ran outside and locked the car door on her so her and DCB ended up being here for an additional 30 mins waiting for DCD to bring spare key. UGH!
Leanna 02:55 PM 01-20-2014
I have trained myself not to say, "Ok." If she had asked me that morning I would have been more than happy to accommodate her. A text when she is already late? Nope. I would have texted back, "I will have your late fee slip ready!"
lovemykidstoo 03:03 PM 01-20-2014
It would depend on the situation. Was it before she was getting it fixed or maybe she pulled in to have it fixed thinking it would take 5 minutes and it ended up taking 10 minutes thereby causing her to be 5 minutes late. No, she shouldn't cut it that close, but crap happens sometimes. If it's a good client and first time, I would think it was just out of the ordinary and not get so uptight about it. Unless of course I had somewhere to be.
Heidi 03:59 PM 01-20-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
It would depend on the situation. Was it before she was getting it fixed or maybe she pulled in to have it fixed thinking it would take 5 minutes and it ended up taking 10 minutes thereby causing her to be 5 minutes late. No, she shouldn't cut it that close, but crap happens sometimes. If it's a good client and first time, I would think it was just out of the ordinary and not get so uptight about it. Unless of course I had somewhere to be.

-It could have been fine this morning, and she didn't know it was even out until she got in the car.

-She could have left work early, budgeting a certain amount of time, and then when she got there, it took longer.

-I don't work myself up over good customers being 5 minutes late. Honestly, if I have something going on after work, I tell my clients "I am leaving at 5, anyone who is late will find their child on the doorstep". Most make an effort to be early on those days, if possible.
lovemykidstoo 04:12 PM 01-20-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:

-It could have been fine this morning, and she didn't know it was even out until she got in the car.

-She could have left work early, budgeting a certain amount of time, and then when she got there, it took longer.

-I don't work myself up over good customers being 5 minutes late. Honestly, if I have something going on after work, I tell my clients "I am leaving at 5, anyone who is late will find their child on the doorstep". Most make an effort to be early on those days, if possible.
I do that too. I will say, I know you're usually here by 5:00, but just to make sure, I'll be out the door right on your heels.
Lucy 04:34 PM 01-20-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I do that too. I will say, I know you're usually here by 5:00, but just to make sure, I'll be out the door right on your heels.
I do the same. I mention it in the morning to my last pickup mom. I say something like, "I know you're always here by 5:00, but I just wanted to let you know that I'll be jumping in the car just as soon as you get here today." She always says, "oh I'll leave work a few min early."
TwinKristi 05:08 PM 01-20-2014
Yeah I wouldn't charge someone for 5 mins especially if they let me know and are normally on time. If you had to leave early or right when she left than I would usually let parents know in advance.
I could understand if it was getting their car washed or something, but something that could have them pulled over and ticketed making them even more late than 5 mins is different. Sure they could risk getting to your house and then getting to the auto store but that may be backtracking and cost more time and again, maybe a ticket. I try to give my parents the benefit of the doubt unless there's a reason not to. If they pull this every week or month it would be taking advantage but just once or twice? Yeah I think being annoyed is a little silly, esp over 5 mins.
blandino 07:17 PM 01-20-2014

THIS !!!!!!!!!!

Is is amazing to me how much people will inconvenience someone else for the sake of not having to inconvenience themselves.
melilley 07:16 AM 01-21-2014
I personally wouldn't have charged if the client was a good one. BUT, dcm could have asked if it was ok instead of told you that that's what she was going to do.
mia 08:30 AM 01-21-2014

i agree....
mia 08:34 AM 01-21-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I personally wouldn't have charged if the client was a good one. BUT, dcm could have asked if it was ok instead of told you that that's what she was going to do.

My3cents 11:21 AM 01-21-2014
Originally Posted by blandino:
THIS !!!!!!!!!!

Is is amazing to me how much people will inconvenience someone else for the sake of not having to inconvenience themselves.
you see this in the stores all the time.

Christmas time I was looking at something and some lady pushed me with her cart and said rudely excuse me- tooooooo look at the same thing I was looking at. What about saying excuse me and then waiting for me to move. I turned around and said to her......sorry I didn't hear you. I hadn't until she bumped me with her cart. I would have just been patient or gone around or waited my flippin turn! Ignorant and selfish me world we live in. On a mission to make her life better and not a care in the world of anyone else.

Littering- throw it out the window and let someone else pick it up, why wait and find a trash can

next time- note to self- I think I will turn around and make like I am doing sign language and then end it with a nice tall finger straight up---- naaaa I may think it and think it well, but not my style.
I could go on......but why ruin a perfectly nice tuesday
Tags:late fee policy
Reply Up