Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Letter help for policy enforcement
DaycareMom 06:24 AM 11-11-2014
I currently have 2 families. They have been awesome! Until recently ...

Recently, I have had issues with early drop offs and late pick ups.

#1. DCM got a new job which now leaves her with a 1 hour commute. She would usually drop off DCG at the before school program (I pick DCG up from kindy at 11:15 a.m.) and then drop off DCB at my house at 7:30. With her new job, she had a choice between a) dropping off DCB at my house at 6:30 a.m. and then DCD dropping off DCG at before school program at 7:30 or b) Dropping off DCG at before school program at 6:30 a.m. and DCD would drop off DCB at my house at regular drop off time of 7:30.

She asked me to take DCB an hour early. I told her I would do it for an additional fee and they decided to not to do it that way as it would be no extra cost to drop off DCG a bit earlier.

Well, it has been a few weeks since this new arrangement of DCD dropping off in the morning. He comes at a different time almost everyday between 7:10-7:35.

He is supposed to drop off at 7:30!

#2. DCM has been late at least 10 times in the last 3 months - for various reasons. The first couple times I let it go. I get that stuff happens and she had never abused or gone against any other policies. She seemed to respect me and my home. But now I am feeling she doesn't respect my time.

The other late problem I am having with both families is that they have not been paying me on time. They have ALWAYS paid me but a day or two late. They are not ALWAYS late either, but it is becoming more frequent.

I mean I understand forgetting a payment or running a little late. It happens, but I just don't understand why people wouldn't just appreciate that they are getting a break and try their best to never let it happen again. Why do people need to make it a habit?

Do you charge EVERY time someone is late? Do you ever give them a break?

Anyway, so I want to send out a letter reminding them of my hours and late fees concerning time and payment.

Does anyone have a sample letter? I don't know how to start it and I want to explain that I don't want their money but I want the precious time!

TYIA to any help/advice you can give me!
Indoorvoice 07:01 AM 11-11-2014
I just recently wrote a letter addressing some of these issues. It went a little like this:

Dear families,

I realize I have been lax in enforcing my late payment and pick-up/drop-off policies as I have been in your shoes and certainly understand that things happen. However, we are coming up on a busy time of year with the holidays approaching and have several obligations outside of daycare hours that I need to attend to. It is imperative that I have definite start and end times each day so that I can plan my obligations accordingly. Starting Monday, I will be enforcing all policies regarding late payments and pick-up and drop-off times to help keep us on track during this busy time of year. As stated in the contract, 3 late payments, or 3 early drop-offs/late pickups is grounds for termination. Thank you for your understanding.
daycare 08:23 AM 11-11-2014
I think the letter below sound great, but I would not use the part that says its because of the holidays.

it is because this is your policy no matter what time of year it is.

other than that the letter sounds great....
Indoorvoice 09:08 AM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I think the letter below sound great, but I would not use the part that says its because of the holidays.

it is because this is your policy no matter what time of year it is.

other than that the letter sounds great....
Thank you! I definitely thought about that. For me, I felt like I needed an excuse to start enforcing my policies after going so long without enforcing them. Most of my families are friends and acquaintances (I know, I know. Never again!) so they take all of my rules as mere suggestions. Building my backbone one vertebrae at a time... I really do appreciate the feedback! Hopefully the op can use parts of the letter that suit her.
daycarediva 10:19 AM 11-11-2014
Do you send out a newsletter or quarterly notices? If so, I would include policy reminders in that. If not, I would send home a notice with policy reminders outlined and the consequences for not following those policies.

Just a few policy reminders;

ABC daycare is closed at 5:30pm. Late pickups will be enforced at the rate of $1/minute.

At this time, I am unable to accommodate early drop offs outside of contracted hours without 24 hour advance notice. An early drop off fee of $5 per 30 minutes or portion thereof will be charged for prearranged early drop offs. Early drop offs that have not been authorized, will be charged at $1/minute.

All payments are due Friday at 5:30. Late fees of $10/day will be charged and your child will not be accepted into attendance until all tuition payments and late fees are paid.

Thank you for adhering to the policies at ABC daycare.

Then start charging them. It won't change unless it hurts their wallets.
Meeko 12:24 PM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Do you send out a newsletter or quarterly notices? If so, I would include policy reminders in that. If not, I would send home a notice with policy reminders outlined and the consequences for not following those policies.

Just a few policy reminders;

ABC daycare is closed at 5:30pm. Late pickups will be enforced at the rate of $1/minute.

At this time, I am unable to accommodate early drop offs outside of contracted hours without 24 hour advance notice. An early drop off fee of $5 per 30 minutes or portion thereof will be charged for prearranged early drop offs. Early drop offs that have not been authorized, will be charged at $1/minute.

All payments are due Friday at 5:30. Late fees of $10/day will be charged and your child will not be accepted into attendance until all tuition payments and late fees are paid.

Thank you for adhering to the policies at ABC daycare.

Then start charging them. It won't change unless it hurts their wallets.

And I found that in my daycare "youth", I would stick to contract rules and charge the parents for late fees etc...but for some reason I would always apologize for doing it. as if somebody was forcing me too and I didn't want to. This gave the parents a gateway to whine and try to make me feel bad.

Now I just cheerfully add the charges as if it's no big deal to me and completely matter of fact and expected. I found it helped a lot. I now NEVER say "I'm sorry" for charging fees.

Just my experience!
Reply Up