Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dirty child
DaycareMom 11:39 AM 02-18-2016
So I started with a new DCB3 about 2 months ago.
Almost every morning that he comes, his face is crusted with oatmeal, and the other DCKs complain of his smell.

I mentioned the smell to DCM and she attributed it to the chickens (they live on a small farm).

I don't really know what else to do. He's been home the last 2 days due to dehydration.

I feel like this boy may not get a lot of attention.

What would you do?
mommyneedsadayoff 12:01 PM 02-18-2016
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
So I started with a new DCB3 about 2 months ago.
Almost every morning that he comes, his face is crusted with oatmeal, and the other DCKs complain of his smell.

I mentioned the smell to DCM and she attributed it to the chickens (they live on a small farm).

I don't really know what else to do. He's been home the last 2 days due to dehydration.

I feel like this boy may not get a lot of attention.

What would you do?
A face with some leftover oatmeal is nothing, but if he smells that bad that you notice and more important, if he is home because of DEHYDRATION, then I would be very concerned! Do you suspect neglect? Is he not being allowed water and food? If he smells like the chickens, do you think he may be left out in the barn as a time out or something? I lived on a farm almost my whole life. I never smelled like I did, because my clothes were washed and I was cared for. This sounds very fishy to me.
Baby Beluga 12:16 PM 02-18-2016
Poor kid.

I think too think this sounds a little fishy. Was he diagnosed as "dehydrated" or is that something mom just told you? I thought truly dehydrated children were admitted to the hospital because it is a pretty serious thing for a child to be.
DaycareMom 12:22 PM 02-18-2016
She said she brought him to the doctor and the doctor told her it was viral. She said he was only throwing up when he had fluids and that was why he is dehydrated. Since he has been with me (since 830 am) he has had about a cup of water and has had no urine or poop all day. I'm worried! She keeps saying her doctor is telling her to "let it run its course"
childcaremom 12:24 PM 02-18-2016
I would be excluding until he is better (eating/sleeping/playing normally).

As for the other, if you are concerned, I would report.
MunchkinWrangler 12:30 PM 02-18-2016
Nope, I really don't think mom brought the child to the doctor if there is no input and output of fluids, that is an emergency room visit and an IV drip for fluids, especially if the child can't keep anything down. I would seriously suspect neglect and I would be calling CPS on this for sure.

Just because the child lives on a farm does not mean he/she should smell. That makes no sense to me.
mommyneedsadayoff 12:36 PM 02-18-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Nope, I really don't think mom brought the child to the doctor if there is no input and output of fluids, that is an emergency room visit and an IV drip for fluids, especially if the child can't keep anything down. I would seriously suspect neglect and I would be calling CPS on this for sure.

Just because the child lives on a farm does not mean he/she should smell. That makes no sense to me.
I agree. In the three cases of a child having dehydration that I know of, they were admitted for IV fluids. And theyou were for rota virus and one was noro virus.
Ariana 05:45 PM 02-18-2016
Do you have popsicles or something he will take to help him? Any sort of juice you think he will drink. I would do whatever I could to get him rehydrated.

I also would make a call to CPS if you are feeling that this might be neglect. Only you know for sure though.
Reply Up