Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Those Nails!
Thegrayghost1966 11:48 AM 01-23-2014
Do you or would you clip them? I keep a 3 month old and her nails are terrible! She doesn't scratch herself but claws at me constantly. Her hands are always around her face so it's crazy how she doesn't scratch herself! I can't even hold her bottle and she is clawing my hand. Ugh! Oh and she cat naps 15 here and 15 there. Is it Friday yet?
DaycareMom 11:50 AM 01-23-2014
I have and would clip them. That drives me crazy.
melilley 11:54 AM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
I have and would clip them. That drives me crazy.
Same here! At first I didn't, but after getting scratched a few times, I have no problem doing it.
craftymissbeth 12:01 PM 01-23-2014
Yes, I clip them every Monday and Thursday. If the parents aren't going to then I have to not only so they don't scratch, but long nails get all kinds of germs down under them. It's just plain gross.
Lucy 12:21 PM 01-23-2014
I have always clipped nails of babies and toddlers. It started when I watched both my nieces from babies to age 5. I would clip them because their mom hated doing it. From then on, I'd mention it to parents that I'm pretty good at it and am willing to do it. They have always said Oh good, I HATE clipping nails!! I think everyone's afraid they're going to clip skin.

So yes, I'd do it! I hate being scratched or having them scratch themselves!
Brooksie 12:56 PM 01-23-2014
I always clip kids nails. And if I see their fingernails are bad I always check their toenails too and generally they are so bad they are digging into their toes. I only have one kid whose mom clips regularly and she's a cosmetologist. I probably do everyone elses nails once a week or two. I think parents assume that its going be be a hassle but all the kids sit fine for me.
Blackcat31 01:13 PM 01-23-2014
Nope, I don't do things that I consider parental responsibilities and as a parent, if a daycare provider took it upon herself to trim my child's nails without my permission, I would be having an issue with it.

If the parents want you to or ask for your assistance in doing it, great! But I certainly wouldn't just do it without saying anything to them first about it.
BumbleBee 01:26 PM 01-23-2014
I do clip/file infant nails and both infant parents have given me permission to do it. I would definately ask if they mind though.
e.j. 01:55 PM 01-23-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nope, I don't do things that I consider parental responsibilities and as a parent, if a daycare provider took it upon herself to trim my child's nails without my permission, I would be having an issue with it.

If the parents want you to or ask for your assistance in doing it, great! But I certainly wouldn't just do it without saying anything to them first about it.
I feel the same way. If it bothered me, I might mention it to the parents, though, to let them know the nails should be clipped. The only time I'll clip a nail is if it's torn and bothering the child.
ihop 01:56 PM 01-23-2014
I ordinarily wouldn't but I have one dcp who clipped them on her daughter and missed, clipping at a huge chunk of her skin. After that, dcg never had trimmed nails. I started doing it because I knew dcm must have been too traumatized to do it again. But its really the parents responsibility. Just a reminder that they are long would probably solve the problem.
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:11 AM 01-24-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When my oldest DS was in daycare as a baby, his provider was clipping his fingernails one day just before I picked up (which was weird cuz we kept them clipped) and she had nicked him. So when I walked in, here's my wailing baby with a blood-soaked tissue over his finger To this day, he's a big ole whiny baby about clipping nails. She scarred him for life!

So, I don't clip nails.
lizzardb85 07:34 PM 01-24-2014
I clip! Both DCBs are from the same family 18 mo and 4 yr. the 4 yr old asks me to do it because he has to rip them off. Christmas break was a month long and 18 mo old came back with full nails, broken and ripped nails and toe nails digging into his skin. I don't understand the parents both boys run to my lap when I pull the clippers out. Plus their nails are DISGUSTING I don't think little boys use nail scrubbers very often
TwinKristi 08:50 PM 01-24-2014
Oh my gosh, if I didn't clip my last DCBs nails I don't think anyone would! His toenails were HORRIBLE!! Too long, curled over, dirty underneath. I know she bathed him but I guess just never thought about his nails! I clipped them a few times but then I stopped just to see how long she would go! I would tell him mama needs to clip your nails! He always had his fingers in his mouth too and I know fingernails are very dirty underneath!!
Tags:nails
Reply Up