Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Forms - Uploads>Is this too much paperwork/forms???
Dilley Beans 02:28 PM 11-28-2014
I am going to be opening in 2015 and have worked on a lot of materials. I don't know if it is too much...I just want to be thorough.

My handbook is 28 pages

Then the forms:
1. enrollment form/admission agreement
2. About Your Child (1pg)
3. Authorzation for application of topical products, Health History,
4. Explanation of reporting (I haven't seen anyone have this on their site or anything, I thought it would be good that all parents understand what I am watching for in the way of abuse and neglect)
5. State Immunization form (required)
6. On/Off Premise permission
7. Permission to photograph/video
8. USDA Food program Enrollment Form (required)
9. Infant specific form regarding that I told them about/gave flyer on reducing risk of SIDs, permission to use a front pack, feed formula, use a pacifier, use a sucker for their nose, etc.
10. Contract Schedule and Rates

Questions I have for you all, A) Is it too much, what would you nix or combine onto one form? B) Does this thoroughness close gaps in liability or open me up to more liability because I am specific about so many things, where there may be gaps leaves me more vulnerable.

Thanks in advance!
Unregistered 02:38 PM 11-28-2014
My handbook is about 35 pages long and I have the same forms you listed and a few more depending on the age of the child and whether they are full time or part time.
Then I also have forms for various situations that could occur.
Basically, nothing happens in my program without some from of documentation in writing.

I think what you have is good. I am sure as you actually work and experience being a provider you will find the need to create other forms but I wouldn't worry about that until you get to that. Trust me, you can "think" you've covered any and every possibility but as an experienced provider I can tell you now that you haven't. It will always be an on-going learning experience.
Laurel 03:07 PM 11-28-2014
I am retired now but I had no handbook. My contract was 2.5 pages. The only forms I had were those that were required by licensing.

The way I think (and which worked for 20 years) is that the more that is in my contract the more I am limited as I have to go by the contract. I prefer just to make the basic rules/guidelines and then handle things as they come up. I can make any decision I want and no one can say "Well that isn't what it says in the contract."

Of course, I am fair because I don't want people to leave.

My friend who also just retired had one single page called Guidelines with about 10 or 12 things on it. She said if someone didn't want to go by the guidelines they could leave.

Keeping it simple was good for me.

I could say things like:

"I don't allow children to wear necklaces or small barrettes because smaller babies find them and chew them. Please don't bring them."

"Let me explain how we do potty training here."

"He can bring that toy in but I am not responsible if it gets lost or broken. Do you want to take it or leave it here?"

"Please give me notice if you are leaving. At least a month if you can." (That was in my contract but no mandatory notice just a request). That way if I want them to leave at any time whatsoever, I am not stuck with them for two weeks.

"If you want to arrive earlier or stay later and I can accommodate, there is a charge. Are you interested?"

Almost anything can be handled as it happens. If I wasn't sure I just said "I'll think about it and let you know."

Laurel
Heidi 03:44 PM 11-28-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I am retired now but I had no handbook. My contract was 2.5 pages. The only forms I had were those that were required by licensing.

The way I think (and which worked for 20 years) is that the more that is in my contract the more I am limited as I have to go by the contract. I prefer just to make the basic rules/guidelines and then handle things as they come up. I can make any decision I want and no one can say "Well that isn't what it says in the contract."

Of course, I am fair because I don't want people to leave.

My friend who also just retired had one single page called Guidelines with about 10 or 12 things on it. She said if someone didn't want to go by the guidelines they could leave.

Keeping it simple was good for me.

I could say things like:

"I don't allow children to wear necklaces or small barrettes because smaller babies find them and chew them. Please don't bring them."

"Let me explain how we do potty training here."

"He can bring that toy in but I am not responsible if it gets lost or broken. Do you want to take it or leave it here?"

"Please give me notice if you are leaving. At least a month if you can." (That was in my contract but no mandatory notice just a request). That way if I want them to leave at any time whatsoever, I am not stuck with them for two weeks.

"If you want to arrive earlier or stay later and I can accommodate, there is a charge. Are you interested?"

Almost anything can be handled as it happens. If I wasn't sure I just said "I'll think about it and let you know."

Laurel
Except for the notice period, I'm with you, but the state of WI says otherwise. Most of what's in my 10 page handbook is required by our licensing. I don't know why they have to dictate parent contracts and a number of other things that are not Health and Safety, but apparently, someone thinks they should.
SignMeUp 03:52 PM 11-28-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Except for the notice period, I'm with you, but the state of WI says otherwise. Most of what's in my 10 page handbook is required by our licensing. I don't know why they have to dictate parent contracts and a number of other things that are not Health and Safety, but apparently, someone thinks they should.
...because licensing doesn't want to field the phone call complaints from parents
Here, licensing made their own required form called "Provider Policies" because where I live, they don't want to have to read my policy to see if their requirements are in there. Parents must sign it after providers fill it out. Mine mostly says "see my policy book" or "see my contract".
Laurel 04:41 PM 11-28-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
...because licensing doesn't want to field the phone call complaints from parents
Here, licensing made their own required form called "Provider Policies" because where I live, they don't want to have to read my policy to see if their requirements are in there. Parents must sign it after providers fill it out. Mine mostly says "see my policy book" or "see my contract".
Parents can see our licensing regulations. They just need to contact licensing I guess. It is public record.

Laurel
Laurel 04:43 PM 11-28-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
That sucks. Things vary so much from state to state and here in Florida even county to county.

Laurel
Tags:enrollment forms, legal question, new business, risk management
Reply Up