Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holidays & Day Care Closings ??
rhondawarren 10:26 AM 12-11-2014
I was wondering what Holidays do you close?

As well as do you charge for holidays?

I have my closed days already chosen but I forgot Good Friday. Do you close for Good Friday? I wasn't going to charge for the holidays but one of my parents looked at my like I crazy for not charging for the holidays so believe it or not after her and I talked I decided I would charge for the holidays since I charged weekly and not daily anyways.
Blackcat31 11:08 AM 12-11-2014
Originally Posted by rhondawarren:
I was wondering what Holidays do you close?

As well as do you charge for holidays?

I have my closed days already chosen but I forgot Good Friday. Do you close for Good Friday? I wasn't going to charge for the holidays but one of my parents looked at my like I crazy for not charging for the holidays so believe it or not after her and I talked I decided I would charge for the holidays since I charged weekly and not daily anyways.
I've read where providers charge 52 weeks a year regardless of holidays (I've done this before)

I've also read where providers charge for all days the child attends but not the days the child is absent (I've done it that way before too)

I've also read were providers charge for ALL days they are open, even if the child isn't attending but don't charge when they are closed.

That ^^ is the camp I am in now.

I raised my rates (equal to what I was making when I charged for holidays) and now tell parents I only charge for days I am open. They seem to "like" things that way best. I think because they feel they are only paying for available days and not closed days, even though they really are. kwim?

When I did charge for holidays, I did charge and close on Good Friday. Sometimes I altered my day and took the Monday after Easter off instead depending on the needs of the clients I had at that point in time.

HTH
therov 11:36 AM 12-11-2014
This is my full-time job, so I count benefits as part of my compensation.

- I take off 10 Federal holidays, but switching out Veterans' Day (not a day off for private companies and schools in our locale) for the day after Thanksgiving.
- I have an additional 15 days of leave that I pool for sick and vacation time. Most entry-level jobs in our area give 10 days vacation plus 10-12 sick days annually, so this policy favors the parents slightly.
- I announce most of my vacation dates 6 months in advance; thus, they know my summer leave in January and my winter leave by summer.

By this accounting it really doesn't matter whether you take off Good Friday or Easter Monday or Fat Tuesday or any of those, as long as you inform your parents well ahead of time.
KDC 11:38 AM 12-11-2014
Here's my policy, hope it helps!

Vacation, Holiday, and Sick Policy
Your child’s space is held while you are on vacation, therefore full tuition is expected. I will notify you of my vacation plans as soon as possible. That time will be free of charge.

Scheduled holidays are New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Day after Christmas (if week day) and early release on New Years Eve (closed at 3 pm).
If the holiday falls on a Saturday, I will be closed the Friday prior and if the Holiday falls on a Sunday, I will be closed on the Monday following. There is no reduction in the tuition for these Holidays. If the holiday falls on a regularly scheduled day, you are required to pay for that day.

Parents will be notified as soon as possible if I need to take time off for sickness of my family or myself. The parents are expected to find alternate care for their children. Payment will not be expected in this case. If a child is out ill on a regularly scheduled day of attendance, payment for that day is expected. As this is a business for me, each year I will have 2 paid sick days & 1 paid educational hours day/personal to be used for maintaining my State issued day care license. Ample notice time will be given for the educational day.

rhondawarren 11:45 AM 12-11-2014
I actually completely closed NYE I now see that most providers are open NYE and only close New Years Day but I have already notified my parents of me taking the day off and they did not seem to mind. So I am not sure if I should change it or ... take it off.

I currently have the following listed to be closed but did not close Good Friday. I didn't even think of that one.

New Years Eve & Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day after Thanksgiving
Memorial Day
Christmas Eve
Christmas Day
4TH of July
Labor Day
Reply Up