Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Conflicted Too!
momofboys 04:16 PM 01-06-2011
I had posted earlier about accepting a PT nanny job that would pay a substantial amount more than the family I am caring for FT in my own home. Today I gave my family notice & the mom & I had a long conversation about it. She basically offered me more $$$ to stay at my own home & to continue caring for her kids! I never asked her to pay more she said it herslef & I was shocked. I love her family & would take them up on it but part of me feels like they might resent having to pay me more. What to do. . . what to do. I did tell her if I decided to take her up on it that if I did find another client she could then pay less again. Ughhhhh. . . I also want to do the nanny job. I feel so torn!
Cat Herder 04:29 PM 01-06-2011
Simplify the question to yourself.

What is in the best interest of your family? (aka: the people in the front pew)
AfterSchoolMom 04:42 AM 01-07-2011
Honestly, if you really do love the family you currently have, I'd keep them and stay at home. That way you don't have to worry about summer, etc. with your own family. If you're worried about Mom being resentful, bring that up with her now and discuss it with her up front. Hash it all out before you make any permanent decisions.

Bottom line, though, I agree with Catherder. Do what works best for YOU and YOUR family.
Lilbutterflie 06:37 AM 01-07-2011
What a great compliment to you! For a mother to be willing to pay more so that she can keep you as her provider really says something about you and the care you provide!
I agree with the previous posts, think about what is best for you and your family. Make a sheet of pros and cons. Now that money is not the issue, you can make a better decision.
If you decide to stay with your current family, definitely discuss with her that you are worried about them resenting you for having to pay more. But IMO, she wouldn't have offered to do it if she didn't want to.
Keep us updated about what you decide to do!
momofboys 08:30 AM 01-07-2011
I did decide to stay with my current family. I think it will be okay. I have never had many problems with them (pay on time, respectful of my time) so the only reason I considered the other position was b/c I needed to bring in more $$$. The mom reassured me that they would not feel resentful of paying more $$$ b/c they figure it is worth it to avoid making a change since they like coming here so much. I do feel appreciated b/c of it but won't let it go to my head. Now I am hoping I can get another client on.
Daycare_Mama 08:52 AM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by janarae:
I did decide to stay with my current family. I think it will be okay. I have never had many problems with them (pay on time, respectful of my time) so the only reason I considered the other position was b/c I needed to bring in more $$$. The mom reassured me that they would not feel resentful of paying more $$$ b/c they figure it is worth it to avoid making a change since they like coming here so much. I do feel appreciated b/c of it but won't let it go to my head. Now I am hoping I can get another client on.
Good choice, I was just going to say that since it's no longer about money, I would stay home in a heartbeat. Plus, it gives you the opportunity to possibly make more money by taking another family, where you couldn't do that with the nanny family.
AnythingsPossible 09:16 AM 01-07-2011
Any chance you could get the family who wanted you to Nanny for them to come to your house for care? Seems to me if they were willing to have you come to their house, it shouldn't be to big of a stretch for them to come to you.
momofboys 10:47 AM 01-07-2011
Originally Posted by WyoDaycareMom:
Any chance you could get the family who wanted you to Nanny for them to come to your house for care? Seems to me if they were willing to have you come to their house, it shouldn't be to big of a stretch for them to come to you.
I will ask them but I am guessing they will not be interested since they are currently already in an in-home daycare & now want care primarily in their home. But it is worth a shot!
Tags:job change, nanny
Reply Up