Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playing Soccer with Preschoolers
kendallina 08:55 PM 04-13-2015
All of my preschoolers have been way into kicking the ball around (which obviously ends up in upset kids when they don't get to the ball first...) and I think they would appreciate a little direction in how to play soccer or kickball or something together. Problem is, I don't really know how to organize this. I have all 3-5 year olds. Help please? Do you have ball games that you play with your kiddos?
daycare 09:13 PM 04-13-2015
Originally Posted by kendallina:
All of my preschoolers have been way into kicking the ball around (which obviously ends up in upset kids when they don't get to the ball first...) and I think they would appreciate a little direction in how to play soccer or kickball or something together. Problem is, I don't really know how to organize this. I have all 3-5 year olds. Help please? Do you have ball games that you play with your kiddos?
I've been coaching youth sports for over 25 years and yes you can coach that age to play together. You can google how to coach youth soccer and they should have some great videos.

We don't really at soccer so to speak but we do everything that preps you to play as you grow. We play games like kick the cow, snake ball and so on

Their used to be this site called coach mike. Let me see if I can find the soccer links.

I loooovveeee soccer I've played almost my whole life.
VTMom 09:38 AM 04-14-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I've been coaching youth sports for over 25 years and yes you can coach that age to play together. You can google how to coach youth soccer and they should have some great videos.

We don't really at soccer so to speak but we do everything that preps you to play as you grow. We play games like kick the cow, snake ball and so on

Their used to be this site called coach mike. Let me see if I can find the soccer links.

I loooovveeee soccer I've played almost my whole life.
Me too!

Games like "hit the coach" (kids try to kick the ball at you within a defined space was a huge favorite when I "coached" preK, as well as follow the leader. My advice to you would be to make sure you have enough balls. One ball for several kids at this age probably won't work as well. Just my experience
Shell 09:46 AM 04-14-2015
Originally Posted by VTMom:
Me too!

Games like "hit the coach" (kids try to kick the ball at you within a defined space was a huge favorite when I "coached" preK, as well as follow the leader. My advice to you would be to make sure you have enough balls. One ball for several kids at this age probably won't work as well. Just my experience
Me three! I just went to a coaches meeting a few weeks back and they mentioned making sure everyone has a ball, and minimal waiting times since the kids get distracted.
I would set a goal up with cones and let them practice kicking - they also said so much of soccer can be taught without the ball- running between cones, learning to follow basic directions on where to run, jumping, etc.
kendallina 06:03 PM 04-14-2015
Awesome advice! I like the 'hit the coach' game. Any other game ideas like this? The kids would love it.

Right now I have two big kick balls and a few smaller regular-sized balls, but really they only play with the big ones, so I'll get more of those.

I'm usually so good at organizing kids and figuring out how to manage games and such, but I have such a mental block when it comes to sports. I never played sports as a kid or adult and just don't feel confident at this. I appreciate any more advice people can give me.
VTMom 05:31 AM 04-15-2015
There's "Sharks and Minnows". A couple people are sharks and start in the middle, while the rest are minnows and each have their ball. The goal is to dribble your ball from one side of the ocean to the other without having a shark kick your ball out. If the shark gets your ball, you become a shark. The game ends when there's just one minnow left.

It's been a while for me. I'll post as my memory comes back
Crazy8 06:02 AM 04-15-2015
Originally Posted by VTMom:
There's "Sharks and Minnows". A couple people are sharks and start in the middle, while the rest are minnows and each have their ball. The goal is to dribble your ball from one side of the ocean to the other without having a shark kick your ball out. If the shark gets your ball, you become a shark. The game ends when there's just one minnow left.

It's been a while for me. I'll post as my memory comes back
my son is 9 and has been on a competitive travel soccer team for 2 years and he STILL loves playing sharks and minnows, LOL!!!!
KSDC 11:08 AM 04-15-2015
Tiger Tail!

Each "Tiger" gets a tail (long strip of fabric) that they tuck into their pocket or waist band. Each "Tiger" also has a ball.

The tigers dribble around the field trying to stay away from the Tiger Catcher.

The Tiger Catcher tries to kick the tiger's ball away. If he steals the ball, then the tiger has to stop and give his tail to the catcher. Now they are both Tiger Catchers! Game continues until all the tigers have been caught. Last tiger caught becomes the new tiger catcher.

My K-2 team loves this game! And, it really helps with ball control and keeping the eyes up and on the rest of the players.
Reply Up