Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do All Day?
Momof2Boys 08:27 AM 05-09-2010
I mean this in a lot more respectful way than it probably comes across in the title..

I'm curious, as a day care provider what you find yourself doing all day. Do you usually clean up after the kids while they are playing, relax and take a little time for yourself while they are intrigued in something else, or are you usually right there on the floor playing with them? When they are outside, are you refereeing, playing also, or sitting back and watching to make sure everything is okay? When they are eating, are you usually eating too?

Just curious
MN Mom 10:12 AM 05-09-2010
This summer, I will have more structure to my DC environment because I will have my 4 + the 3 boys at the same time. The school year is different, as I mostly have a 6mo baby all day. I have a 5 year old from 6:30am - 11am / 3:30-4:30pm, his baby brother from 6:30am - 4:30pm, the 8yo boy from 6:30am - 7am / 3:30 - 4:30.

Usually the boys are soooo tired when they arrive, the baby is napping by 7am, the 8 year old heads to school at 7am, the 5 year old eats breakfast and then colors or does another quite activity while my husband and son are still sleeping.

When my son gets up, he eats breakfast, and then he and the 5yo play like crazy until about 10:30 when I do an early lunch for the 5yo before his van picks him up for pre-school. Then it's just my son and the baby for the rest of the afternoon. I try to do housework (dishes, laundry) during that time AND my college work. College work comes first though, so the laundry waits if I have a heavy homework schedule that week.

I will be sooooo happy when I graduate college. DCare + College + my own famly = one crabby lady on the weekends!
DBug 10:45 AM 05-09-2010
I don't sit and play on the floor much at all. I find that when I do, the kids start to depend on me to lead or be part of their games. When I'm out of their sight (but still where I can see and hear them), they are much more imaginative in their play. Of course I sit with them for circle time and we do crafts all together. I supervise while we're outside (ie walking around, generally not sitting reading a magazine ), and while they're playing inside, I'm making meals or snacks, cleaning up afterwards, prepping activities, changing diapers, etc. Our potty times take up alot of the day too, and I spend alot of time reading to them while they're sitting.

Another mom mentioned that I need to put a couch back in my playroom so that I can sit and watch the kids in comfort. I laughed, because I rarely ever sit down, even during quiet time -- I'm always on my feet
melskids 11:10 AM 05-09-2010
i try to keep a balance between playing with the kids, taking care of all the daily upkeep, and keeping myself sane at the same time. i will initiate and direct certain activities at times, help wherever and whenever i am needed, and never turn a child away who asks me to read a book, play a board game, or push them on the swing. but when they are playing nice without me intervening, i definetely use that time to do dishes, sweep, pick up messes, or sometimes just daydream...lol. it does take quite a bit of organization and self motivation to keep it going smoothly. i am a bit of a procrastinator, so i can very easily let things pile up on me, and that just makes me crabby and overwhelmed at the end of the day. i used to wait until everyone left to do dishes and such, but it was taking alot of time away from MY family. so now the kids know if they just give me 15 minutes to clean up, then they can have my undivided attention. as far as eating with them, breakfast happens pretty quickly around here, as does snack, (theyre usually in a rush to get outside) so i dont eat with them. but lunch time is more relaxed and laid back, so i will sit and eat with them then. they usually entertain themselves outside, and i sit and watch, unless of course they want a push on the swing, to play something like kickball or mother-may-I, or we have a messy type activity planned. i try to give them plenty of free time to play as they want. i think it helps with creativity and imagination. i have a 3 yr old dcg who just started 2 weeks ago. she came from a very structured center, and i can soooo tell. she cant do ANYTHING without it being directed by me. she will just stand there until i tell her what to do. its kinda funny....she just stands there and looks up at me with these puppy dog eyes, waiting, just like my dog does when he wants to play fetch....lol
Crystal 05:29 PM 05-09-2010
consistently BUSY.....if I am not managing routines ( toileting, handwashing, toothbrushing, mealtimes) I am generally facilitating their play. Meaning, we are either actively involved in hands on activities that I must supervise and provide assistance to them, or they are involved in free play in interest centers/outside and I am either playing with them, talking to them or working on the environment - such as displays, adding/rotating materials, cleaning, etc.
Carole's Daycare 07:33 PM 05-09-2010
I have a set schedule daily for the most part. Until 8:00 am though, I am cleaning up from breakfast, getting my own son off to school , etc. making adjustments to displays/environement. Once we have opening circle, for most activities I'm physically there facilitating the activity. During scheduled free play times 1/2 hr-45 mn am, 1 hr pm I often try to sneak in some cleanup, but since I have varied ages I maintain eye contact and am actually playing with the toddler usually. During outdoor play time during spring and summer I usually balance directing/supervising play on the equipment, organizing games like Mr.Fox or playing w/parachute, or working with the kids on our garden. Sometimes I'll sit for a few minutes close to the youngest and watch them play- or push in the baby swing. They get a 1/2 hr video while I cook lunch. During nap time I usually eat, clean up, prep any afternoon projects I didnt get finished before etc. If I relax for a few moments sometimes I'm actually able to go potty myself.
originalkat 01:11 PM 05-10-2010
In the mornings I am usually busy with:

Unload/load dishwasher
Breakfast (prepare, serve, Clean-up)
Fold a load of Laundry
Circle Time
Preschool activities(easel painting, sensory, Curriculum activities, crafts etc)

Free Play (Centers)- I do not play much with the children. I also find they are much more imaginative if I butt out and let them do their thing. This is when I reas emails, check forums, do computer work for daycare, type out daily sheets to send home with kids. My laptop and desk face the playroom so I can supervise and get things done.

Outside Playtime- I usually walk around, supervise, chit chat with the kids, pick weeds from the garden, pick up sticks in the yard etc... Sometimes I sit down and watch them play.
Storytime
Prepare Lunch (They usually watch a 30 min video while I do this.)
Serve, clean-up lunch
Get kids pottied and on their cots for naps

Naptime (1-3) is my free time. I eat lunch, do homeschool work with my oldest (finishing pre-k stuff this year), read a little, get online etc...

Prepare Snack
Get kids up from nap, cots put away, pottied, eat snack
Free Play/Outside Playtime depending on the weather.

That is my day USUALLY. I mix some home duties, personal things I like to do, business paperwork, daily care routines for kids, teaching/curriculum responsibilities throughout the day so that in the evening I am OFF and dont have to do a lot of other things for work.
Tags:schedule
Reply Up