Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Schedule. . . ugh
momofboys 02:34 PM 03-06-2011
I'm so ticked off right now I could spit! DCM informed me a few days ago that this week she had "spring break". . . it was the first I'd heard of it. I have a policy that allows parents to take time off without paying me so long as I get TWO WEEKS NOTICE! So obviously there was not enough notice. She did say she was going to try to work a few days & study & she would call me Sunday to let me know the schedule. Well here it is almost 6:30 pm on Sunday & no call/no nothing. I told her she needed to call so I knew what to expect. If she is working the kids will be dropped off at 6:30 am & I certainly don't want to get up at 6 am if I don't have to. WWYD?
momofboys 02:42 PM 03-06-2011
I'm thinking I will just bite the bullet & call but I'm frustrated that she has not called yet. I am also thinking that despite the fact that she signed my contract stating she needs to give 2 weeks notice for time off that she has no recollection about that part of my contract. My guess is she will want to bring the kids 2-3 days & only pay for those days. I just had another similar contract-issue with this family (they wanted to bring SA child to me for care on a day they said she was "too ill" to go to school & I had to tell them that I didn't do sick child care per my contract-I actually call it "common sense" but sometimes DCPs have very little). So should I be prepared to whip out my contract to show them (they do have a copy unless they lost it!)?!?!
Blackcat31 02:46 PM 03-06-2011
Can you call her and ask for her schedule or plans? I would simply explain that you do not want to know last minute that you have to get up early. If she has no schedule, is it in your policy book that she pay for her regular days anyways? If so, I would charge accordingly.

If I was feeling especially snarky, I would not answer her calls since she was not courteous enough to let you know in a decent amount of time. For future reference, I would tell parents that they have to have the schedules in by a certain time for the up coming week.

I have a dcm who is also in college and this upcoming week being spring break she planned to work also, but I told her she had to tell me on Friday before 5:30 in order for her kids to have space. She knows I won't acecept schedules after that time and she will be charged her normal weeks rate regardless of attendance.

It is simply common courtesy to let you know in advance rather than the night before. After all I am sure you do not tell your daycare parents the night before that you decided to take the day off...it sort of goes both ways. Does she maybe assume you will be up early anyways for other kids? Sometimes parents seem to think you are available for everyone all the time without thinking that a change for them means a change for you too.
momofboys 02:51 PM 03-06-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Can you call her and ask for her schedule or plans? I would simply explain that you do not want to know last minute that you have to get up early. If she has no schedule, is it in your policy book that she pay for her regular days anyways? If so, I would charge accordingly.

If I was feeling especially snarky, I would not answer her calls since she was not courteous enough to let you know in a decent amount of time. For future reference, I would tell parents that they have to have the schedules in by a certain time for the up coming week.

I have a dcm who is also in college and this upcoming week being spring break she planned to work also, but I told her she had to tell me on Friday before 5:30 in order for her kids to have space. She knows I won't acecept schedules after that time and she will be charged her normal weeks rate regardless of attendance.

It is simply common courtesy to let you know in advance rather than the night before. After all I am sure you do not tell your daycare parents the night before that you decided to take the day off...it sort of goes both ways. Does she maybe assume you will be up early anyways for other kids? Sometimes parents seem to think you are available for everyone all the time without thinking that a change for them means a change for you too.
Thanks for your suggestions. . . I wouldn't have to get up as they are my only family & my own kids sleep til 7 or later. Your advice was helpful. . . I really need to think about it. I don't want to be rude/ungrateful with this family but I am starting to feel taken advantage of.
AfterSchoolMom 03:36 PM 03-06-2011
Were it me, I'd turn off the phone, lock the door, and sleep away!
momofboys 04:00 PM 03-06-2011
LOL Afterschoolmom!

DCM did call while I was typing this!!! Anyway, here's the scoop. . . she only plans to bring them 2 days this week (would have been nice to know more than a couple days ahead of time! so I could make my own plans with my preschooler. She did ask about pay & I explained that I needed 2 weeks notice (per her contract) for anytime off to be unpaid.

Then she had the gall to ask me about MY vacation time at the end of March (it is unpaid-I am taking a week off). She has known about it since September 2010 & then I "reminded" her in late January 2011. I guess she is just getting around to finding back-up for the week I am off & she was boo-hooing about not knowing what she would do. She actually asked if I could still watch her kids 1-2 days that week I just laughed (internally) & said we would not be home part of the week so it would not be possible.
mickey2 04:14 PM 03-06-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Were it me, I'd turn off the phone, lock the door, and sleep away!

I agree with Afterschool mom. Turn off the phone make sure your doors are locked and stay in bed. If she comes and knocks IGNORE it!

When you do get up and turn your phone back on and she calls, you say
"Oh! I am so sorry! I did not hear from you so I assumed that you were not coming! In the future please be sure to give me your schedule so that I know your plans and this does not happen again."
Unregistered 04:16 PM 03-06-2011
It seems perfectly reasonable to charge for the spot, unless you fill it with other children. If a parent is paying for the spot, and doesn't bring children on short notice, sure you get to charge, but why expect to double sell it? Isn't having a light day enough of a perk?
momofboys 07:10 PM 03-06-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It seems perfectly reasonable to charge for the spot, unless you fill it with other children. If a parent is paying for the spot, and doesn't bring children on short notice, sure you get to charge, but why expect to double sell it? Isn't having a light day enough of a perk?
Unregistered:

I know you did not direct this at me BUT this is my only client & if they don't come I generally don't make them pay (even though it is in my contract - I am a softie). So yes it is a perk to have a day off but not so much of a perk when I can't pay my bills! I am courteous & give several months notice when I take off but she couldn't even give me one week's notice to let me know she wouldn't need me very much.
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Not sure if this was meant this way or not but I never suggested double selling it. I only have 10 spaces, having some of them empty and getting a light day is no consolation considering it is how I pay my bills. I guess I don't necessarily understand what you were trying to say to me.....

I never mentioned anything about filling the space with other kids...I don't have a list of backup kids I can call and say "Hey, I got an empty spot if you want it for the day." If some one doesn't come, I may have a lighter day but I also get a lighter paycheck and that is not okay by me.

On the flip side, you may have just been making your own comment in addition to what I said about charging for the space and in that case...my bad, I misunderstood.....if not.....then I am lost
Tags:schedule
Reply Up