Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Moby Wraps - Amazing Little Inventions!
childcarebytori 01:10 PM 04-07-2011
I have a two-month-old infant in my care and after swearing off all crappy baby carriers when I had my last infant (almost two years ago), I went ahead and dished out the $40 and bought a Moby Wrap after reading the reviews. I am so, so very pleased with my purchase! I can change diapers and assist with my current potty-trainers in the bathroom, I can organize and do arts & crafts (painting included!), I can clean, sweep, vacuum, do paperwork, set up cots, cribs, and pack'n'plays, take my kids outside and go on walks while pushing the stroller......all while the baby is cocooned inside the wrap. Having my hands free has made a huge difference and the baby is much more content when she's inside.

My only problem is my 1.5yo and 2yo dck's chant out "My turn, my turn!" when I bring it out. Least of my problems with the wrap? I'll take it!
youretooloud 01:25 PM 04-07-2011
I've never tried a stretchy wrap, but I should try that. I saw that they sell them at Target now. I don't know what brand it is at Target, just that it's a stretchy wrap.

I have gauze wraps that I like though.
nannyde 01:25 PM 04-07-2011
I don't use wraps but I DIG your username.

I want "childcarebyTori"

Are you a Tori or Victoria?
cheerfuldom 01:40 PM 04-07-2011
when she gets bigger, try an Ergo. We love those for our girls (my husband has his own!). I don't "wear" daycare babies on a regular basis though. Just my personal preference. I especially don't want older babies getting used to being carried all the time.
childcarebytori 02:05 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't use wraps but I DIG your username.

I want "childcarebyTori"

Are you a Tori or Victoria?
I'm "just Tori" (This is the phrase I repeatedly say to my new daycare parents who repeatedly ask what name do the make the checks out to. I'm guessing they believe my name is shortened for Victoria )

Curious, why no wraps for you?
KEG123 02:15 PM 04-07-2011
Moby was a lifesaver here for my son's first year!! Granted I wasn't watching any other kids at the time, but it was heaven to be able to get stuff done and him NOT fussing at me!
childcarebytori 02:43 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Moby was a lifesaver here for my son's first year!! Granted I wasn't watching any other kids at the time, but it was heaven to be able to get stuff done and him NOT fussing at me!
Did you stop using at a year? Did it ever feel too heavy or make your back hurt? The infant is only 10 pounds now but I definitely feel some tightening in my back after she's been in for awhile.
nannyde 02:54 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by childcarebytori:
I'm "just Tori" (This is the phrase I repeatedly say to my new daycare parents who repeatedly ask what name do the make the checks out to. I'm guessing they believe my name is shortened for Victoria )

Curious, why no wraps for you?
I don't need wraps. The babies do GREAT without it.

I'm justtori too ;-) Nice to meet you. I haven't met many "justtori's"
Symphony 03:05 PM 04-07-2011
I love my moby for little ones too. I also love my mei tei, ring sling, and hot sling. I've found the more I wear the kids when they are young, the more independent they are when they are bigger. LOVE babywearing!
KEG123 04:12 PM 04-07-2011
Yeah we pretty much stopped at a year. One tip it to make sure it is tight, not sagging. Another is to make sure the arm "straps" are fanned out wide, and not bunched up.
childcarebytori 04:17 PM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't need wraps. The babies do GREAT without it.

I'm justtori too ;-) Nice to meet you. I haven't met many "justtori's"
I've only ever met one other "just Tori", so it's nice to meet you, too! We're a rare breed ;-)

Originally Posted by Symphony:
I love my moby for little ones too. I also love my mei tei, ring sling, and hot sling. I've found the more I wear the kids when they are young, the more independent they are when they are bigger. LOVE babywearing!
Symphony, it sounds like the babies in your care really benefit from babywearing. I've had horrible experiences with the Infantino brand of baby carriers and the infant hated it just as much as I did. Glad the Moby worked for you and your babies. I'm really digging the wrap for my tiny tot.

Originally Posted by KEG123:
Yeah we pretty much stopped at a year. One tip it to make sure it is tight, not sagging. Another is to make sure the arm "straps" are fanned out wide, and not bunched up.
Thanks for the tip! It took a few times to get the 'seatbelt', as it's called, to properly fit around the infant but both baby and I made it through the testing phase. Phew!
cheerfuldom 06:27 PM 04-07-2011
I think babywearing depends on the parents and your daycare setup. some parents don't feel comfortable with a provider wearing their child as it is a very cozy situation. I guess they dont want their child to get too attached or familiar, just enough to be happy during the day but not enough to want anyone nearly as much as mommy. I do wear my own kids but not daycare kids on a regular basis. I'm like nanny in this way. I just feel that it is better for all involved if baby gets used to the regular daycare environment because they can't be carried and catered to forever. Again, depends on the situation such as how many kids you have to care for, how many other babies you have, how long your back or carriers hold out! I would just hate to have a child attached to a situation that is not how its going to be long term. They can't be carried forever and some kids get REALLY attached to being carried. It can be very difficult to wean from that down the road but if you only have one small baby and the rest are much older, that makes for an easier time overall. Right now I have a 5 month old, 7 month old and my newborn due soon. I will wearing my baby only. The DC babies do get held and tended too but they also get into the regular routine of eating at the table, playing independently, used to the noise and activity from a very early age.
PeanutsGalore 07:59 PM 04-07-2011
I hate the Moby. I love my Ergo though! Dig babywearing...don't do it much for daycare kids if they are the clingy kind though, because then I can never put them down!
SilverSabre25 04:35 AM 04-08-2011
I've been trying really hard to decide which carrier to get to wear my baby when he's born at the end of May. I didn't know Target was selling Moby wraps...I might have to go pick one up. $40 isn't a bad price. I'm debating between Ergo, Babyhawk, and Beco for when he gets a bit bigger.

I wear my own kids, but not dcks so much. Of course, I haven't ever had a tiny infant in care...most of my infants have come in at 7 months. If I ever decide to take a tiny infant, I'll probably wear them. I have even worn my DD when she was about 2.5. DH wore her too. Babywearing/Childwearing rocks.
Attached: July 2010 107.jpg (43.4 KB) July 2010 067.jpg (96.8 KB) 
My Daycare 08:49 AM 04-09-2011
Would a wrap work for walks? I have a quad stroller, but it's not infant friendly. I would rather use my double one and carry the baby. Would it also work at the park? Is it hot?
Meyou 01:32 PM 04-09-2011
I adore my pouch sling. I use it from about 6 months to well over 2 years old with the DCK's. There have been numerous times it's saved me when we were out and I had a tired friend around.
childcarebytori 05:36 PM 04-09-2011
Originally Posted by My Daycare:
Would a wrap work for walks? I have a quad stroller, but it's not infant friendly. I would rather use my double one and carry the baby. Would it also work at the park? Is it hot?
I've used the Moby wrap for walks. I have a double and triple stroller that aren't infant friendly either, so I wrap up the baby and take her out with us. The double stroller is actually heavier to push than the triple, which is real weird but it does work out!

I've also used the Moby at the park. It's best to get the wrap around you and situated before you leave the house so you can just place the baby right in when you get there. My other kids laugh when they see me walking around with the wrap when no baby is in it, but I wouldn't want to have to wrap it again at a park in the parking lot. You can even push children in the swings, too. It hasn't reached higher than 80 degrees this spring yet where I live, but I think in the summer when it sometimes reaches 100 there would be no way I could keep the baby in there as it would probably get really hot.
spud912 06:57 PM 04-09-2011
I think my body just isn't made right for the Moby wrap. Every time I wear it I find it extremely uncomfortable and it really gets my back hurting. Both of my children have not liked being in the Moby also. I am well endowed, though, so that may be part of the issue.
youretooloud 08:31 PM 04-09-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I've been trying really hard to decide which carrier to get to wear my baby when he's born at the end of May. I didn't know Target was selling Moby wraps...I might have to go pick one up. $40 isn't a bad price. I'm debating between Ergo, Babyhawk, and Beco for when he gets a bit bigger.
I only have the Babyhawk and I love it. I've never tried an Ergo or a Beco. I've heard good things about those too.

FOr a newborn, I love the ring sling, or a wrap. Wraps are lower priced. http://www.wombfruits.blogspot.com/ But, the ring sling is easy. (tummy to tummy)

I also like Pouches for infants (3+ months). Especially if you have a baby who only wants to face out. (some babies are nosier than others, some babies want to snuggle in and sleep) You can put the baby facing out in a froggy legged style.
Meyou 03:58 AM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:

I also like Pouches for infants (3+ months). Especially if you have a baby who only wants to face out. (some babies are nosier than others, some babies want to snuggle in and sleep) You can put the baby facing out in a froggy legged style.
You can also back or hip carry with the pouch for babies that need to be up when you have things to go once they can sit up on their own.
JJPlaycare 06:25 AM 04-11-2011
Okay guys! So I have a questions regarding this Moby Wrap stuff??? Is it easy to put the child in? Do you wrap it on yourself and then put the baby in? Is it hard to get the baby out?? I am curious because I take the kids on a few field trips during summer, swimming lessons being one of them and I have two 2 year old daycare kiddos and my own infant will be 6 months in June! I have a double stroller, which an infant carseat fits into, but then what do I do with the other two year old, I have been thinking alot about this Moby Wrap thing!! Is it hot? Do the kids like it, if they haven't used it before 3 months? Can the baby face outwards, my children tend to be VERY nosey and already at 3 months he likes to see the world!! Just curious please let me know??
youretooloud 07:00 AM 04-11-2011
Here's a video. It seems much more complicated in the video though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CamfWi0cEU8

I don't tie it all on before putting the baby in though. So, I think I learned slightly differently.

There is a slight learning curve. But, it's very easy.

Yes.. Baby can face out... they they look so cute!
Tags:baby carrier, carriers, inventions, moby wraps
Reply Up