Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Fill The Void Of Conversation?
dave4him 02:21 PM 11-14-2013
Seems like since I stopped working nights and weekends I am missing all the adult interactions.... not the job... just the people. A house full of little ones just doesn't do it. So what do you do to fill the void?
CedarCreek 02:33 PM 11-14-2013
Talk to yourself

I try to keep myself active with my family (sister, mother, sister in law) or my few friends. It's hard to schedule sometimes but I need adult interaction.
KIDZRMYBIZ 02:35 PM 11-14-2013
Hubs is my BFF! And some fun and friendly neighbors that are always ready for a gab. Plus, this forum is a God-send for DC talk!!
Cat Herder 02:43 PM 11-14-2013
There is a forum for every trade and possible interest. Read and learn new things. Amazon's PC kindle app is free, books are cheap.

I have had a computer for less than half of my years doing this, the first half was HARD mentally. The mail lady was my only friend it seemed during the week.
daycare 02:47 PM 11-14-2013
you can laugh at me, but I talk to my cats all day every day. Guess what, they talk about....lol My kids think that I am nuts, but they laugh their rears off when I can get the cats to ping-pong a conversation with me.

I talk to them mostly about politics, stocks, the economy, news, world peace, you know stuff DCK can't talk to us about....lol

yeah I think I have officially lost it
Blackcat31 03:06 PM 11-14-2013
I find that the older I get, the less human interaction I want/need.

Like Catherder said, the first 10+ years of this job I had no computer or connection with the outside world.

I read ALOT.

I enjoy the forums and I enjoy the little bit of conversation that happens with the DCP's at drop off and pick up and of course, the convo's with my hubby but really... I love the silence.
Laurel 06:57 PM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by dave4him:
Seems like since I stopped working nights and weekends I am missing all the adult interactions.... not the job... just the people. A house full of little ones just doesn't do it. So what do you do to fill the void?
I go out once a week with two provider friends. It is adult time to look forward to. I talk to them on the phone but not for a long time. I come here and it seems like the 'break room' to me.

Sometimes if I'm desperate I talk to an infant. I tell them all my woes... They are good listeners at least. For some reason that movie with Tom Hanks popped into my mind. He was on a island and talked to a ball that he made a face on.

Laurel
permanentvacation 07:33 PM 11-14-2013
During Daycare:

I talk with my sister (she lives in Florida) on the phone pretty much every day during nap time or after work.

Every week and a half or so my daughter will call from college - sometimes during the daycare day, sometimes in the evening.

When I have the extra money, I hire an assistant which helps with doing the job of childcare, but also gives me someone to talk to, bounce ideas off of, sit with in person and see facial expressions and body language as we communicate. It truly is a different feeling to communicate in person vs. on the phone vs. on a website forum.

Sometimes when someone responds to my ad or when a parent picks their child up, I get to chatting just a bit too long!! Poor folks! It's a bit obvious that I need more adult conversation!

I chat for a few moments with the mail lady and the neighbors when they come and go.

Outside of Daycare:
My teenager is in sports which I take her to and from, so I socialize a little with the other parents while I'm at her sports activity.

Out of the blue, a couple of the boys (20-25 year olds)that I call "my boys" - I kind of raised half the neighborhood when they were in their pre-teens and teenage years. But every couple of weeks, a couple of the boys stop by out of the blue just to check on me and chit-chat for a 1/2 hour or so.

Since I did 'raise half the neighborhood', often when I go out to the stores, mall, restaurants, I will run into a couple of the boys and chat for a few moments.

About monthly, I visit my other sister's house (lives 20 minutes away from me) and occasionally visit my nephew's house as well.

I recently started making a point to attend church and Bible study (honestly for the socialization)

While at church one day, they said something about some class that they were starting up. I went and signed up for it just so I would have somewhere to go on another night and people to talk to. AFTER I signed up and paid for the book we would need, THEN I asked what the class was about! I really didn't care what it was about - I just knew I needed more socialization.

Going to church and purposely letting people know that I need to socialize more has lead to being invited to lunch with a handful of ladies - which was really nice!

On a slim occasion, I go watch my nephew shoot pool on his pool league.

My nephew, his girlfriend, and I recently saw a play at the local college. That was nice. I haven't seen a play in years!

Ideas for the future:

I am currently taking college classes online so they are convenient for me to work on at any time. But I am considering taking once class per semester in person at the college just to have the interaction with other students in the class.

Hire my assistant more so I have socialization during the daycare day more often - oh and help with the job too.

Go out with my nephew more.

Get to know the people at my church more and go on outings with them (dinner, lunch, a play, a movie, etc.)
providerandmomof4 09:59 PM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I find that the older I get, the less human interaction I want/need.

Like Catherder said, the first 10+ years of this job I had no computer or connection with the outside world.

I read ALOT.

I enjoy the forums and I enjoy the little bit of conversation that happens with the DCP's at drop off and pick up and of course, the convo's with my hubby but really... I love the silence.
Exactly.
BrooklynM 10:18 PM 11-14-2013
I can totally empathize with you! I really miss the interaction of co-workers! My own kids are 11 and 14 so when they get home from school I talk to them. I'm friends with all of my parents so I talk to them. I have Cocktail Club once a month with at least 20 other ladies and every Friday night I bowl in a league. My husband works out of town about half the month and I have 50/50 custody of my kids although they walk to my house from school every day, but Wednesdays and Thursday nights are my lonely nights. I've been looking for an art class or something to take for the interaction!
Josiegirl 03:29 AM 11-15-2013
I'm an extreme introvert so this job suits me fine in that respect. I live alone but have 2 dogs that just love the attention of extra conversation.
crazydaycarelady 07:35 AM 11-15-2013
I have a provider friend that lives about 2 blocks from me. We talk on the phone everyday! We laugh that talking to a provider on the phone is like talking to someone with Tourettes. "This morning we made.......Jonny stop that.............muffins for snack...........Joe do you have to go potty?"

Nobody understands like another provider........she is my lifeline!
melilley 11:40 AM 11-15-2013
I know how you feel; I miss working with my old co-workers and having someone to talk to during work (but don't miss working for someone).

During daycare hours, I mostly talk to the children. Sometimes my dh is here and I talk to him, but he tends to stay in the basement when the dck's are here. I also go to this forum and a couple of other social media sites. Other than that, it's just me and the kids. I do have conversations with a couple of my dcp's too. I do love it when my 10 yo doesn't have school. She loves to help me and it's nice to have someone here who can hold a conversation every once in a while...lol
Also, it may sound funny, but sometimes I put on other music besides kid music (appropriate enough for dck's) and it helps. Right now it's Christmas music...lol

When the dck's aren't here, I...

Mostly spend time with my own family. During the week I don't really have time to do anything since the kids leave later and then there's dinner and school work and everything else.

In the summer we take walks and talk to the neighbors and sometimes hang out with them-they are awesome. We all have kids and other things in common.

I also talk to and have my sis and her fam over a lot. She's my bff!

I try to get out and have a girls night every once in a while. (having one tomorrow....woohoo!)

My dh and I have a date night every other Thursday.

It does get lonely sometimes, but I guess it's a trade off of having a home business.
melilley 11:42 AM 11-15-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I have a provider friend that lives about 2 blocks from me. We talk on the phone everyday! We laugh that talking to a provider on the phone is like talking to someone with Tourettes. "This morning we made.......Jonny stop that.............muffins for snack...........Joe do you have to go potty?"

Nobody understands like another provider........she is my lifeline!
This is exactly why I try not to talk to anyone on the phone during dc hours!
Reply Up