Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Play The Violin!!!!!
Sugar Magnolia 10:21 AM 12-16-2011
Ok ladies (and gents). I need some people to tell my husband to just play the violin! I'm going to make him read your replies! He's a concert violinist and won't play for anyone but the kiddies at our daycare!?! Today he was playing christmas carols, some he hadn't played in 20 years, since his orchestra days, but you couldn't tell, perfect pitch, didn't miss a note. Name a christmas song, he can play it by ear! We are having our first big Christmas Party tomorrow night for all our students, parents and extended families. He WON'T play!!! He's all shy about it! Cmon, dude, just play!!!!! Tell him to share his awesome talent with our families! Sometimes he plays for the kids, but if a parent or my assistant walk in the room, he stops! Play... play.... play....!!!
sharlan 10:25 AM 12-16-2011
PLAY THE VIOLIN FOR THE PARENTS AND KIDS.

(How was that?)
laundrymom 10:35 AM 12-16-2011
Dude,.... You gotta.

Ok here's my reasoning,... No wait, I'm on iPod and this is going to be a LONG response. I'm going to the desktop!
melskids 10:35 AM 12-16-2011
tell him it could be worse.

he could be my husband.

my hubby gets forced into a 6 foot bunny suit every easter and hops around the front yard pooping plastic candy filled eggs in front of all the other hot moms. LOL
AfterSchoolMom 10:39 AM 12-16-2011
If he won't play, then he's wasting a God-given talent. That's a darn shame.

Do it, do it, do it! They'll all LOVE it!!!!!!!!
Lucy 10:41 AM 12-16-2011
He needs to post a YouTube video and get discovered! Also, you can post the link to the video here so we can watch it!!!
erinalexmom 10:42 AM 12-16-2011
Thats so funny Mel! My husband does santa every year for everyone! he even has friends calling him for Christmas parties (the funniest part is he wont take any $ for it so one of his friends pays him in cheap wiskey! now how disturbing is that? lol)
Meeko 10:43 AM 12-16-2011
Do it!!!!!!!
laundrymom 11:18 AM 12-16-2011
Ok, Look out Sour Magnolia,.. I have a full size keyboard and a plug in power supply. This is apt to get wordy!

I can completely support your want to not play. In fact,.. I know I would have a hard time using my God given talent and passion with the kids and parents I serve. Oh Wait,...

I DONT HAVE A MARKETABLE ONE TO SHARE!!!!! I can beat anyone I know in a game of chutes and ladders, singing the bus song or changing the nastiest diaper you can give me,.. but thats where my talent is.

However,..

I ....

AM A BAND MOM.

I have four children,....

my youngest (10) plays guitar, piano, ukelele and drums. She can bring tears of joy to your eyes when she sings, and she looks mighty cute in a pair of boots and cowboy hat (excuse me,.. cow GIRL hat). When Ive had a rough day I look at her and say,.. can you play and sing for me? Her latest favorite song is Lady A's HELLO WORLD. Shes only 10, but when she played for her guitar instructor last week i visibly SAW the goosebumps on his arms.

My 13 yr old, plays piano, drums, and TRUMPET. She played TAPS at this years vetrans program and let me tell you,... Pausing to get a real breath, was the only time a few of the vetrans breathed. You could visibly SEE them tremble and hold their breath as she played those notes. These older, war hardened men, openly wept at her song. Last night at her Christmas concert when she played silent night on the trumpet,... it was almost spiritual.

My oldest daughter plays Piano, Clarinet and flute,.. and can I just say that Amazing grace has never been played more sweetly than at church by her when she was6. Another event that inspired raw, true, unsolicited emotion from those listening to it.

Now my son,.. God love him,... he has a really nice radio in his truck. He can take the girls pieces, record them onto his apple, and make the coolest effects and transitions,.. but that boy is just like his momma. So I will get back to the explaination of why you owe the kids for you to play.

Music moves your mind to a place of pure joy, anticipation, fear, excitement, love and silliness. It is a skill that is a lifelong asset.

Im sure when you played years ago the thrill of hearing the music, the way you can bend a note or shape a chord,.. brings forth a feeling of making something larger than yourself. Creating something that you share with those around you. Letting out your feelings. I know thats what got my kids started in music,...

The oldest heard someone playing a piece at church. The notes spoke to her. It created a lifelong love of music. It helped her focus on so many concepts like reading, math, dedication and endurance.

My middle daughter heard Louis and Dizzy and instantly fell in LOVE with the blues,.. which for a 10 yr old caucasion blonde headed blue eyed girl,.. was kinda,.. different,...But we encouraged her to play, write and explore her love of music. The day she heard amazing grace played on trumpet,.. slow and soulful... she was HOOKED.

My youngest just loves the act of playing the guitar. She enjoys the other instruments she plays,.. but her passion is guitar. She will sit and pick and strum until I make her eat, pee or sleep. Shes 10. Guitar outranks Barbies, club penguin, or even bike riding.

EVERY one of my girls were inspired by someone. They heard someone play something and it inspired them to create a goal, make a plan, and achieve their dreams.

In todays society so many of our schools are removing music, art and gym from their curriculum. So many children wont get that first recorder, They wont make a lopsided pottery dish painted in spots and glazed in others,... They will sit in front of a video game system and facebook instead of getting out int he fresh air. They arent getting the inspiration from their teachers anymore,.. they need it from other people in their lives who they respect, admire and look up to. They need you to play,... if for no other reason,... than to HEAR a violin in real life, not as the background for a Phineas and Ferb invention. They need to hear it breath, talk, laugh and sing. They need to touch it, to feel the organic texture of a polished instrument. To smell the wood and strings. To see it move, to explore the way the music is born.

I know you play for your day kids but you have an opportunity to reach those entering the age of school band, parent paid music lessons, you may insopire someone to learn to play,.. isnt that worth it?

And,... if this didnt get it for you,...

Wouldnt it be great to be part of a "well my daydad is cooler than your day dad" he can make music! argument,.... Oh did you know Mr Magnolia plays the violin? Thats why we send little Timmy there,.. they just give him so many opportunities that we cant,..
and,...
OMG! Mr Magnola plays violin,.. thats HOT! I know your married but hey,.. its good for your ego. =-)

Ok Sugar,.. thats all I got.

As a provider you have a responsibility to the kids to provide them with as many experiences as you can,..I think that includes their families,.. showing them that music is beautiful,...

Ihope you decide to play,...

Not only that,...

I BET Sugar could find some mistletoe for you after that concert...... (wink wink)
Sugar Magnolia 11:25 AM 12-16-2011
Him: You posted WHAT?!??!
Me: Someone besides me needs to light the fire under you!
Him: I need more practice (NOT!), I don't want to look stupid, I don't have sheet music (does NOT need it, plays by ear), I'll be busy doing....I dunno, something. I haven't played publicly in years (this is a daycare party, not the London Philharmonic), so much pressure!"
Me: you're doing it!
Him: Sheesh! Maybe one or two. Maybe I'll just accompany the kids singing Jingle Bells. (They have been practicing all week to sing for parents @ the party).
Me: the ladies are insisting!
Him: "Ladies: I will THINK about it!"
Arm twisting!
laundrymom 11:29 AM 12-16-2011
Sheet music? Pooey!! Ultimate violin.com.
Sugar Magnolia 11:37 AM 12-16-2011
We HAVE a WINNER! Laundrymom, you win the prize! You did it! You sealed the deal! BRAVO! You are soooo right about simply providing inspiration! He's a big softy. You did what I could not do! You pushed that magic button! He's gonna do it! Uhm, yeah I did have to agree to certain rewards! Lol! You ROCK Laundrymom!!!!!!!! All that typing really paid off!!!
Mr. Magnolia- too darn funny! Lol!
KEG123 11:41 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
We HAVE a WINNER! Laundrymom, you win the prize! You did it! You sealed the deal! BRAVO! You are soooo right about simply providing inspiration! He's a big softy. You did what I could not do! You pushed that magic button! He's gonna do it! Uhm, yeah I did have to agree to certain rewards! Lol! You ROCK Laundrymom!!!!!!!! All that typing really paid off!!!
Woohoo! You should totally record him and show us! He'll do AWESOME!!
Sugar Magnolia 11:44 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
tell him it could be worse.

he could be my husband.

my hubby gets forced into a 6 foot bunny suit every easter and hops around the front yard pooping plastic candy filled eggs in front of all the other hot moms. LOL
Mr Magnolia says "that is the funniest darn thing I've heard all week! Poor guy! I can relate!"
Its nap time and that post almost woke everyone up because Mr. Magnolia was really laughing out loud!!! LOL!!!!
Sugar Magnolia 11:47 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Woohoo! You should totally record him and show us! He'll do AWESOME!!
I will try! Mr. Shy Humble Pants will likely not play along with (gasp!) recording it, maybe a sneaky hidden cam!
laundrymom 11:49 AM 12-16-2011
I will try! Mr. Shy Humble Pants will likely not play along with (gasp!) recording it, maybe a sneaky hidden cam!
Tell him if he wants,..... Mistletoe.

You want ,..... Video.

:-)
melskids 11:49 AM 12-16-2011
Mr Magnolia says "that is the funniest darn thing I've heard all week! Poor guy! I can relate!"
Its nap time and that post almost woke everyone up because Mr. Magnolia was really laughing out loud!!! LOL!!!!
i may not be able to inspire....but im always good for a laugh!

and laundrymom's post WAS awesome! it brought tears to my eyes!
Heidi 11:49 AM 12-16-2011
ooooooh certain rewards...oh my gosh, do I want to answer that! no...I will be good!
laundrymom 11:50 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
i may not be able to inspire....but im always good for a laugh!

and laundrymom's post WAS awesome! it brought tears to my eyes!
Awwwww. Thank you.

I am way soap boxy about arts in schools.
Sugar Magnolia 11:56 AM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Sheet music? Pooey!! Ultimate violin.com.
Wow. He did NOT know about that site! Um, that was the true deal-sealer laundrymom! He's actually excited about it now. YOU are a SAINT!
He's fiddling (no pun intended) with his tuning app on his phone now. Yep, there's an app for that.
Solandia 12:40 PM 12-16-2011
Woohoo! WTG!

Yeah, I haven't played my trumpet since *ahem* college jazz. So....i totally relate, unfortunately(or fortunately, in my case), there is a physically conditioning component...unlike the piano or guitar...even though I totally suck, but can at least manage to get through it even without practicing for several years.

Right now, though, I am teaching the kids on the recorder (oh, my ears!). My 9yo has some musical talent, but right now she wants to learn the flute, a real one...(i think she just wants us to buy an instrument we don't already have).

I am super shy about playing, too....I understand that, I am much less shy about playing on an instrument I haven't formally learned...but the kids get such a thrill out of music, and it does inspire them to learn an instrument themselves (which in turn creates pathways in the brain to enhance all learning that otherwise don't get stimulated).

Have fun with it!
Crystal 12:42 PM 12-16-2011
Laundrymom.....thank you. You brought tears to me eyes as well.

My son just took guitar workshop in school.....he LOVED it, and wants to play Bass guitar, so that's what we got him for Christmas.....of ocurse we will get him lessons as well. I hope he is as passionate about it as your children are.
Kaddidle Care 01:00 PM 12-16-2011
I wanna hear it! Just film the Tree... with him playing in the background. Tee Hee!

LOVE violin... and cello... and harp. Wonderful instruments for very talented people.
Sunchimes 01:19 PM 12-16-2011
I agree. I want to hear the Christmas concert. But, I'd also love to hear Laundrymom's daughters play. There is something so special about music from a child.
daycare 01:32 PM 12-16-2011
ok sorry.... I am going to go against the grain... I have been a musician for almost 35 years. I can play several instruments.

HOWEVER, I have a fear of public playing. I just can't do it. To this day, I have only done it twice and once was just a few weeks ago at my grandmas funeral. I still had a very very hard time and it sounded awful because my nerves got the best of me...AND these were all people that were very close family and friends...

Everyone pokes at me all the time and no one understands how hard it is for me to get the courage to do it...Especially having to do it for my peers...

As cool as it would be, I am just like your husband and I would not be able to do it...

Oh btw, I play for the kids daily...lol
Michael 05:28 PM 12-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
ok sorry.... I am going to go against the grain... I have been a musician for almost 35 years. I can play several instruments.

HOWEVER, I have a fear of public playing. I just can't do it. To this day, I have only done it twice and once was just a few weeks ago at my grandmas funeral. I still had a very very hard time and it sounded awful because my nerves got the best of me...AND these were all people that were very close family and friends...

Everyone pokes at me all the time and no one understands how hard it is for me to get the courage to do it...Especially having to do it for my peers...

As cool as it would be, I am just like your husband and I would not be able to do it...

Oh btw, I play for the kids daily...lol
Ditto here from another musician. Sometimes, those that are a musically gifted just don't see themselves as very good. They need to feel like they are "excelling" at their gift and that usually means being "the best in the world". Anything less, makes them feel like a dog in the show. I know it sounds crazy but when you are born with that gift you do not understand the abilities you have. How could you?

No difference with a Victoria Secret model. Most do not see themselves as that pretty. (had to use that anology, but its true)

Also, most musicians when attending a party or wedding, just want to be part of the crowd. DO NOT ask them to perform! Let them be normal once in a while

Sugar Magnolia - If you want to get your husband to perform, have one of your children perform with him. They have a need to help others achieve and don't have to put the personal, internal criticism on themselves.
MARSTELAC 05:44 PM 12-16-2011
Dear Mr. Sugar Magnolia:

You must play.

@laundrymom....I had goosebumps and was in tears reading your post.

Two of my three children are musically-inclined. They are young and play at church and at recitals. The older child really is mortified to play in front of others but does it and does it well.

You must play.

Please play for them. Do it for the kids.
Pretty please???

Thank you,
Mrs. M
Sugar Magnolia 06:19 AM 12-17-2011
Daycare, Michael. Maybe you guys are right. Feeling a tad guilty. Kinda selfish of me, I just want to show him off, he plays so darn beautifully. I told him he can play if he wants too, or not if he doesn't want too. Yesterday after nap, he did accompany the kids as they practiced Jingle Bells one last time. Then he played Handel's "Messiah" while they snacked and it was mind-blowing good. And that's a VERY difficult piece to play off the top of your head. It will be nice if he just plays while they sing. Maybe he'll play, maybe he won't. Every child in the place stops what they are doing and gather around whenever he plays.
laundrymom 07:01 AM 12-17-2011
Daycare, Michael. Maybe you guys are right. Feeling a tad guilty. Kinda selfish of me, I just want to show him off, he plays so darn beautifully. I told him he can play if he wants too, or not if he doesn't want too. Yesterday after nap, he did accompany the kids as they practiced Jingle Bells one last time. Then he played Handel's "Messiah" while they snacked and it was mind-blowing good. And that's a VERY difficult piece to play off the top of your head. It will be nice if he just plays while they sing. Maybe he'll play, maybe he won't. Every child in the place stops what they are doing and gather around whenever he plays.

Sugar Magnolia 07:18 AM 12-18-2011
Well....he didn't play! LOL! After a week of negotiating this, he bailed. And its FINE because the party was ROCKIN'! We had 60+ people in that old house! The kids went bonkers in the christmas light lit play yard, tons of yummy food and drinks, lots of parents socializing! The kids didn't even sing, they were too busy eating and playing! So I'm going to video them AND Mr. Magnolia's violin accompaning them, doing their thang and post to fb. Here too, if I can figure it out. But THANKS to ALL for the encouragement, he DID need that, if nothing else! And thanks to Daycare and Michael for pointing out its OK if he doesn't play, you guys were right too!
Tags:husband, violin
Reply Up