Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wwyd?
jenboo 08:47 AM 10-08-2013
Currently I'm legally unlicensed but will be licensed in a few months. Im running everything as if I was licensed so that I do not have to retrain myself, children or parents.
Licensing requires me to physically check on napping children every 15 min. I totally understand why they have this rule but it is causing some issues.
I have two babies who take morning naps, one right after after other. All of my children are not up together until lunch time. I also cannot change their nap schedules.
I don't know what to do. I really need to get the awake children outside in the mornings but I always have a napper. I have a baby monitor in the room because I like to see the children the whole time but this obviously doesn't count as checking on them (plus I cant tell if they are breathing or not on it).

I might be a little paranoid because i know someone who had a baby die from SIDS in her home daycare and it ruined her. She did everything correctly thank goodness. I am a rule follower and want to make sure I am doing everything according to licensing.

How would you handle this situation? Not go outside in the mornings? Leave the children outside while you check on the sleeping on?? Bring the kids inside every 15 while you check on the sleeping one? The door to the backyard and the nap room are on complete opposite sides of my house.

Today I have a 16 month old, 18 month old, 11 month old and a 4 year old who is not here yet.
Unregistered 08:51 AM 10-08-2013
The angel breathing monitor is wonderful! It is placed under the child and if the child stops breathing it will sound an alarm to you. It will help with your anxiety about SIDS but not sure if it will count for DHS.
jenboo 08:53 AM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The angel breathing monitor is wonderful! It is placed under the child and if the child stops breathing it will sound an alarm to you. It will help with your anxiety about SIDS but not sure if it will count for DHS.
I have heard about those. I might need one if I get a younger infant
butterfly 08:58 AM 10-08-2013
I try to get my babies on a schedule as soon as possible. We stay inside while they nap. I do try to cut the morning nap down to an hour so that we still have time to do outside time when they are awake. This also helps to get them to sleep longer in the afternoon when everyone naps.

Typically we'll do our preschool lesson while the baby sleeps. When we are done cleaning up after it, the baby is usually awake or ready to be woke to go outside.

For the afternoon nap, I typically sit in the nap room with them (my family room) and I read or surf the net, prep curriculum, etc. I have the babies sleep in a separate room just off the family room that I can look in on very easily.

ETA: I would try to get your babies on the same sleep schedule.
Crazy8 09:20 AM 10-08-2013
I would get the 2 babies on the SAME nap schedule and I would wake them after 1-1.5 hours so you can go outside once they are awake. I did about 9am-10/10:30 for morning nap time when I had a younger baby - I always woke him by 10:30 so we can go out before lunch. Then by the time I got everyone fed and changed and down for nap I had a few minutes alone with him and then he was ready for his 2nd nap so then I still had some peace and quiet. Actually, I think I got that idea here because I was having trouble having an awake baby the entire time the toddlers napped.
JenNJ 09:45 AM 10-08-2013
I get babies on a EARLY morning nap here (8:45-9:45) and we head outside at 10am sharp. Everyone arrives between 8-9 so once we are all here and do circle time, it's time to get shoes and jackets on and head out.

Do not leave the babies inside while you are out or the big kids outside while you are in. Bad, bad idea.
melilley 10:08 AM 10-08-2013
Here, all my kids who are 12 months and up are on the same nap schedule and that helps a lot and they seem to fall into it fairly quickly (sometimes it does take a month or so for them to get into it). Mine are all 13 mo. and older now.

When the two youngest that I have (one my own) were under 12 months, I didn't go outside every day if one was sleeping. I don't believe in schedules before 12 months and I don't like to wake sleeping babies. It's so hard when you are the only one there and you have a sleeper!

But I do agree with pp, I would never leave any children inside while they were napping, even with a monitor!
jenboo 10:08 AM 10-08-2013
Looks like I just have to tough it out the next two months. One baby I have, I nannied before I opened my daycare. He will only be here until the end of November. I agreed to keep him on the same schedule he already was on because he has been on it for ever and since he will only be here for two months, I didn't want to mess him up. He is very scheduled.

Once i get new babies, Ill make sure to get them all on the same schedule.
Thanks everyone!
Reply Up