Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>VALENTINES Ideas?!
momneedscoffee 09:28 AM 02-05-2016
What do you guys do for v day or what are you planning on doing? Do you make gifts for parents? Do you give treats to the kids? Just wanted to gather a few ideas before the weekend! My group is small, 2 3 yr olds, an almost 2 yr old, and a 1 yr old so I'm not planning anything too extravagant, just enough to make the day special
auntymimi 10:25 AM 02-05-2016
I have single moms so we'll make valentines for her. Probably have some heart shaped cookies or rice crispie treats and juicy juice for snack (we never eat stuff like that so it'll be a big deal) read some valentines books. Maybe have a "dance". I have dress up clothes and a disco ball, put on pandora mo town songs. I saw in pinterest where someone mad chocolate scented playdoh. Maybe set up a "sweets shop" with that and some 1$ plastic flowers for the kids to play with.
Mom2Two 11:07 AM 02-05-2016
That's a nice idea to think of the single moms.

I am thinking to do some valentine's activities. I'm planning to do a math/craft, and I am prepping some blank cards out of cardstock etc, along with a bunch of heart shapes in small, medium, and large sizes. I want to talk about small, med, and lg, then let the kids glue stick the hearts and color the inside.

Then I was thinking to lacing heart shapes and maybe let them take them home. I need to find some inexpensive cord for lacing though. Buying shoe laces is kinda expensive if they're taking them home.

I'm just starting the formal preschool thing, so it's pretty new to me to do so many activities.
Jack Sprat 11:10 AM 02-05-2016
We make little cakes for the parents and the kids decorate them. We are adding cards with photos of the kids to the mix this year. We do a party and exchange Valentines. The kids love it. I am crocheting them all stocking caps.
Unregistered 11:16 AM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:

I am thinking to do some valentine's activities. I'm planning to do a math/craft, and I am prepping some blank cards out of cardstock etc, along with a bunch of heart shapes in small, medium, and large sizes. I want to talk about small, med, and lg, then let the kids glue stick the hearts and color the inside.

Then I was thinking to lacing heart shapes and maybe let them take them home. I need to find some inexpensive cord for lacing though. Buying shoe laces is kinda expensive if they're taking them home.

I'm just starting the formal preschool thing, so it's pretty new to me to do so many activities.
Use yarn, or a spool of cotton string like you would use to tie up a tenderloin (hardware stores usually sell it). Cut and dip one end in white glue. Roll the glued tip between your fingers and set on a plate, foil, or anything it won't get glued to. Roll between your fingers again after 10 minutes and let it dry. It makes a tip to make lacing easier and costs almost nothing.
mamamanda 11:46 AM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
We make little cakes for the parents and the kids decorate them. We are adding cards with photos of the kids to the mix this year. We do a party and exchange Valentines. The kids love it. I am crocheting them all stocking caps.
I love the little cake idea! I might borrow this for this year We're making valentine cards to send home for family. A snack/craft that uses a juice box for the body, applesauce cup for the head and raisin boxes for legs. I'm also making little brag books to send home with the kids' pictures, but only b/c I only have 2 families right now and I had a coupon to get them made for $5.
Mom2Two 01:32 PM 02-05-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Use yarn, or a spool of cotton string like you would use to tie up a tenderloin (hardware stores usually sell it). Cut and dip one end in white glue. Roll the glued tip between your fingers and set on a plate, foil, or anything it won't get glued to. Roll between your fingers again after 10 minutes and let it dry. It makes a tip to make lacing easier and costs almost nothing.
Thank you!!!!
auntymimi 04:32 AM 02-06-2016
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:

If you check out pinterest they have free printables for kids to use with conversation hearts.Sorting them by color, using them to outline letters, counting, ect. I also have a math/craft planned using "broken" hearts. I put a number of dots of one side and the actual number on the other and cut them apart in the middle. Then I have my preschoolers put them back together. This works as a game to send home too. I might try the lacing cards, my kids love to "sew".
Unregistered 09:38 AM 02-06-2016
One thing I do is read the book "The Day It Rained Hearts" and I've bought pkgs. of pink and red rose petal pieces from the dollar store. We toss them around after I read the book. It's so cute, so fun!
Silly Songs 12:44 PM 02-06-2016
We work on the letter V that week, and the color red. That way all the crafts tie in with or lesson. We do the basic heart crafts , we talk about feelings, love, friendship, sharing and thinking of others. Many of our families are Catholic, so we do discuss giving up something for others, in a non religious way ( lent is this coming week). We also discuss our pets ! Because we always end up discussing our pets no matter what the subject ! I think I know how many times everyone's dog poops in the house more than the parents do !!
Tags:valentine's day, valentines day ideas
Reply Up