Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Enrollment Time Frame...
Abigail 10:33 PM 10-04-2011
When I start interviewing for enrolling children into my program, how far out are parents usually looking to start?

We've moved into our house and we're working on finishing the lower level so I can become licensed. I need to give a two-weeks notice at my current daycare, but also want to have two kids lined up to start in my daycare so we don't go too long with a shortage of income. I am not able to start interviewing for about 2 weeks until I get things in order and more finished so a half-finished lower level doesn't scare parents away! Then, I also need to pick a "grand opening/first official day" so I can advertise that as well.

What do I do? Do I place an ad next week and state grand opening is Monday October 31st for all day full time care or do I wait until my home is in good enough condition to hold an interview before I place an ad? Should I place the ad anyways and mention that the first interview is held over the phone (answer basic questions and get a feel for them) then the second interview can be a week later--or whenever my lower level is complete???

Am I being unrealistic where I should put my opening date later into November? If I wait too long no one will want to switch child care programs close to the holidays and end of the year, so please share advice. When is the best time? It will take 2 good weeks to get the lower level and all my daycare papers in order.
KEG123 10:37 AM 10-05-2011
2 weeks to a month is the average that I've found.
beachgrl 10:55 AM 10-05-2011
Yah I was going to say I would just let them know the timeframe for opening and that you are finishing up some upgrades to the daycare area, but I have found people who need care in a week but most of them are looking a ways out so I think you are fine to go ahead and advertise and just be up front about the remodeling you are doing and what your plans for the space are. They can go ahead and interview or wait but at least you would have an idea of who might be needing care because it does take time to get enrollment built up.
Abigail 04:37 PM 10-05-2011
I meet with the food program rep on Monday morning and I meet with our CCRR on Tuesday morning! I'm thinking I will open October 31, make it a fun easy day for anyone who is here. Then I can put on my business cards for the trick-o-treaters "NOW OPEN"

Today at my daycare job I had a parent pull me aside (which I'm not sure if my boss heard, she was only a few feet away)......and this mom asked me for my name and number for when I open my daycare incase this doesn't work out. I said "OK" and just went on with my day. I honestly don't have any intentions of taking my bosses business and if my boss ever asks if I would, I wouldn't know what to say.

I don't know what to say to this mom besides asking for her to give me a "review" for my license and on that paper I could put my name and phone number or something. LOL. Is that wrong? I certainly would love to add this part timer. I just don't know what to do. I hope by next week I can be better prepared since I'm meeting with all these different places in town to help me get started. I was also chosen to recieve a grant if I become licensed so I'm excited about that as well!
daycare 05:16 PM 10-05-2011
I would wait to advertise until the dc area is all set to go. You never know if you are going to have a set back or not.

As for your current boss, I would just tell her straight up. I want you to know that I would never prospect any of your clients, however, one of them asked me about my services that I am going to offer. I dont want you to feel threatened by my business in anyway. I hope that after I leave here that you and I will still be friends and can bounce ideas off of each other.

Its not your fault that a parent wants to go to your DC. this may be the only reason why the parent has their child in the care they are at now. I did this with my daughter.

The center she was at had a lot of turn over. One of her favorite teachers left that center to go to a different one that was even better. When the teacher announced that she was leaving I pulled her aside and said where are you going, she told me and we followed. She was great and after all of the anxiety my daughter went through with teacher after teacher there was no way we were going to lose this one.
Tags:enrollment
Reply Up