Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Transitioning to a Cot
Oneluckymom 01:17 PM 04-10-2013
So my 23 month dcg will be 2 next month. I had her lay down on the cot and although she loved the idea and thought it was fun she was not falling asleep. I had to put her back in the pnp. Any tips? Or is a process we have to go through. Should I NOT have put her back in the pnp?
MNMum 03:30 PM 04-10-2013
I tried transitioning at that age and found it wasn't worth my time. One of the kids goofed around a ton. The other one fell asleep but was then up 40 minutes later. I put them both back in pack n plays. That was several mos ago...
EAP 03:33 PM 04-10-2013
For me it really depends on the kid - I have transtioned them at 14 months if they can manage it - and by that I mean I don't have to keep putting them back on the cot. My own son will be 2 this month and is still in PNP because he needs the walls!
Meeko 03:40 PM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by EAP:
For me it really depends on the kid - I have transtioned them at 14 months if they can manage it - and by that I mean I don't have to keep putting them back on the cot. My own son will be 2 this month and is still in PNP because he needs the walls!
I agree. I've had kids out of a crib right after a year old and they do wonderfully. Other kids could use a PNP until they're 9...
jenn 04:01 PM 04-10-2013
I transition between 12-18 months. Some are ready and do great at 12 months...Some take quite awhile.

My PNP sleepers are in a different room than my mat sleepers.

For my most stubborn one, I brought her PNP in during nap time and let her sleep in her PNP while the others were on mats. If she woke up early, she would see everyone else laying down so she would lay back down too. I did that for about a week and then tried her again on the mats and she did fine.

For the ones that keep getting up, I just gently put them back down. Over and over and over, with no interaction except to say "nap time'".

Good luck!
Crazy8 06:22 PM 04-10-2013
I usually wait till they are about 20-24 months to transition too. I don't usually have too much trouble but every once in a while I have the kid who takes a few days to get used to it. It often means me going in every few minutes to lay them back down if they tried to get up, etc. but I've never had any take more than 2-3 days to get used to it. I probably wouldn't have gone back to the pnp, might have been better to just stick it out.
blandino 06:23 PM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by EAP:
I normally transition around 18-20 months. The earliest I have ever had was 16 months. But right now I have a 21 month old who is in a PNP, and a 19 month old on a mat. So it just depends on maturity level.
daycarediva 04:28 AM 04-11-2013
I only have one pack and play, because I only take kids 2+. If they are in a pack and play, I start them with one here, make sure that they transition to my care well and then start the transition to a mat.

Per my state licensing, I have to have parents sign a napping agreement form with where/when and on what the child will nap. I don't ask, I just say "Little Joe is doing great at nap, so it's time we move to a mat like his friends! Here is the form I need you to sign for me."
Michael 02:41 PM 04-11-2013
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...itioning+-+cot

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...+-+crib+to+cot
Tags:transitioning - cot, transitioning - crib to cot
Reply Up