Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Suggestions Needed, Can't Use Antibacterial Soap
daycare 04:26 PM 03-03-2014
I have a dck who has eczema, and parents said that they can no longer use antibacterial soap because it is making it worse.

They asked me not to use soap at all and I didn't know what to say,so I said i will need to look into this. The child constantly has hands in pants, nose and etc, so hands need to be washed.

The parents brought me dove soap bar but from what I understand it does not state that it kills germs.

any suggestions on what I could use to help control germs would be great.
Angelsj 04:34 PM 03-03-2014
Antibacterial soap is only minimally useful at killing germs anyway. Soap's purpose is not to kill germs, but to help the water wash them away from your skin and down the drain.
The AMA and the FDA have issued statements recommending we do not routinely use antibacterial soaps.
sharlan 04:37 PM 03-03-2014
I would use the Dove soap that they provided. You don't need to use antibacterial soap.

The overuse of antibacterial soaps is causing problems. I just use hand soap most of the time.
JenNJ 04:43 PM 03-03-2014
I only use regular hand soap, never antibacterial. I use that only when cooking with raw meats.
Cradle2crayons 04:43 PM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have a dck who has eczema, and parents said that they can no longer use antibacterial soap because it is making it worse.

They asked me not to use soap at all and I didn't know what to say,so I said i will need to look into this. The child constantly has hands in pants, nose and etc, so hands need to be washed.

The parents brought me dove soap bar but from what I understand it does not state that it kills germs.

any suggestions on what I could use to help control germs would be great.
Antibacterial soap really doesn't have a negative effect in eczema... The problem comes in with using water that's too hot and vigorously rubbing them to dry. Also, the soap needs to contain a moisturizer. Also, our dermatologist also says that bar soaps, regardless of the type, are much worse for eczema.

So I'm not sure who gave mom the advice to stop using antibacterial soaps and use a bar instead went way in the wrong direction.

Have mom provide some liquid soap with added moisturizers for eczema, use only tepid water, and don't vigorously rub to dry. Simple.
Mom2TLE 04:46 PM 03-03-2014
I would ask that they provide a liquid hand soap. It doesn't have to be antibacterial but I am sure that bar soap is against licensing standards. Dove has a liquid hand soap.
daycare 04:51 PM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by Mom2TLE:
I would ask that they provide a liquid hand soap. It doesn't have to be antibacterial but I am sure that bar soap is against licensing standards. Dove has a liquid hand soap.
thank you all for the advise. I have been using the bar soap at their request and obviously the issue is still there. I will talk to the DCP about the bar soap and ask that they bring in something with moisture.

I do put Eurcen cream (sp) on her after washing hands. Not too sure if this is even a good idea as it seems like they would pick up more germs with it.
Blackcat31 04:52 PM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Antibacterial soap really doesn't have a negative effect in eczema... The problem comes in with using water that's too hot and vigorously rubbing them to dry. Also, the soap needs to contain a moisturizer. Also, our dermatologist also says that bar soaps, regardless of the type, are much worse for eczema.

So I'm not sure who gave mom the advice to stop using antibacterial soaps and use a bar instead went way in the wrong direction.

Have mom provide some liquid soap with added moisturizers for eczema, use only tepid water, and don't vigorously rub to dry. Simple.
Actually a lot of antibacterial soaps contain triclosan, which causes eczema to go wild..... it burns and itches and weeps....

Refraining from using antibacterial soaps was HIGHLY recommended by my dermatologist for that reason alone.

I try to use natural products that contain emollient rich cleansers that moisturize or at the very least don't dry out the skin.

Dove is a good one.
lovemykidstoo 05:06 PM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Actually a lot of antibacterial soaps contain triclosan, which causes eczema to go wild..... it burns and itches and weeps....

Refraining from using antibacterial soaps was HIGHLY recommended by my dermatologist for that reason alone.

I try to use natural products that contain emollient rich cleansers that moisturize or at the very least don't dry out the skin.

Dove is a good one.
Most definitely. Google eczema and triclosan and you will see. Eczema is serious and you should honor the parents wishes.
Cat Herder 05:07 PM 03-03-2014
Their dove soap bar would not be allowed here (regs) so a simple liquid hand soap like cetaphil and a light moisturizer like baby aveeno should do the trick.
Attached: best eczema cream.jpg (20.3 KB) cetaphil.jpg (19.5 KB) 
lovemykidstoo 05:13 PM 03-03-2014
This is from the Mayo clinic site. "Despite its soaring popularity, antibacterial soap is no more effective at killing germs than is regular soap. And using antibacterial soap may lead to the development of bacteria that are resistant to the products' antimicrobial agents, making it even harder to kill these germs in the future."
Cradle2crayons 05:16 PM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Their dove soap bar would not be allowed here (regs) so a simple liquid hand soap like cetaphil and a light moisturizer like baby aveeno should do the trick.
Yep, there is perfect products there! We use cetaphil. Even our pediatric dermatologist recommended that.

As far as dove, our docs all said dove bar is a big no no as is anything bar. Dove free and sensitive is ok but they preferred the liquid variety.

As far as the antibacterial part that isn'tthe issue...it's the triclosan and other additives in some soaps.

Even without eczema, bar soaps aren't he first choice anyway. They are generally more drying, leave more residue and harbor germs.

I don't use antibacterial at all on the kiddos.
Blackcat31 05:17 PM 03-03-2014
Cetaphil is gentle but still has triclosan in it.

The Aveeno is gentler.

I'd personally go with that one.

Doesn't make my hands red or itchy.
Cradle2crayons 05:19 PM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Most definitely. Google eczema and triclosan and you will see. Eczema is serious and you should honor the parents wishes.
I don't honor parents wishes when it's against what's healthy and in some areas against regs.

I would for SURE expect the child's physician to list their recommended products, not necessarily what mom thinks is ok just because.

What if mom says use dove bar and it royally messes up the child.

As someone smarter than me always says, parents can't give us permission to do the wrong thing. Not that it is the wrong thing... I just won't use bar soap, no matter what. So mom would have to give me other recommendations from a doc
Cradle2crayons 05:25 PM 03-03-2014
On the other hand though, in the hospital us workers use emulsion and it seems to actually improve hand eczema but I'm not sure if it can be gotten by the general public....
lovemykidstoo 05:27 PM 03-03-2014
I don't honor parents wishes when it's against what's healthy and in some areas against regs.

I would for SURE expect the child's physician to list their recommended products, not necessarily what mom thinks is ok just because.

What if mom says use dove bar and it royally messes up the child.

As someone smarter than me always says, parents can't give us permission to do the wrong thing. Not that it is the wrong thing... I just won't use bar soap, no matter what. So mom would have to give me other recommendations from a doc
I understand completely if you don't want to go against regulations, but why do you think that the parent of the child is less informed than you are about what product is right for their child? So, what did you tell the mother? If the dove messes up the child, then it's on the mother since she's the one that told you to use it. What if you go against her wishes and use something else and it messes up the child? What then? Again, totally with you if the bar is against regs.

Maybe have her get doctor note? That way you know it's from an informed source?

After re-reading this, I hope it doesn't sound argumentative, I certainly didn't mean it that way. Just curious on different aspects of this.
Cat Herder 05:30 PM 03-03-2014
Cetaphil is gentle but still has triclosan in it.

Mine doesn't.

water, cetyl alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearyl alcohol, methylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben

Maybe the antibacterial one does, IDK? Mine is just non-scented soap.

I did not know aveeno made a liquid hand soap. Will look for it.
Cradle2crayons 05:33 PM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I understand completely if you don't want to go against regulations, but why do you think that the parent of the child is less informed than you are about what product is right for their child? So, what did you tell the mother? If the dove messes up the child, then it's on the mother since she's the one that told you to use it. What if you go against her wishes and use something else and it messes up the child? What then? Again, totally with you if the bar is against regs.

Maybe have her get doctor note? That way you know it's from an informed source?
Dr notes are my default in this scenario. The op asked for suggestions as far as product was concerned.

And no, regardless of what mom wants, I won't use bar soap here. I'm not licensed though but bar soaps are against regs in some areas.

If a mom told me to give a child four ibuprofen I wouldn't so that either. It's not okay, especially with a medical issue, to just assume parents know what they are talking about.

Ina medical issue, I always send mom with one of my dr forms. On it I would let he dr know I need a non bar soap option and a list of products to avoid etc.

If it's not a medical issue that's different. But eczema in kids can result in secondary infections etc. And everybody is different. Some can use triclosan, some can't. Some can use certain lotions some can't.

I'm just saying I won't use a bar soap regardless.

The op asked for suggestions on product. We are all giving suggestions.

But the main thing is to get a list of allowed and not recommend products from a dr and not assume a parent knows. Or even to assume I know. All dr like different products.

And no, I don't take it as argumentative at all we all do things different. If we were all the same, it'd get a little boring lol
Cradle2crayons 05:39 PM 03-03-2014
Mine doesn't.

water, cetyl alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearyl alcohol, methylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben

Mine doesn't have triclosan in it either... I use this one....

http://www.amazon.com/Cetaphil-Gentl...+skin+cleanser
Childminder 05:40 PM 03-03-2014
What about using a mild bleach solution? I know that bleach baths are recommended for children with eczema
daycare 05:43 PM 03-03-2014
Dr notes are my default in this scenario. The op asked for suggestions as far as product was concerned.

And no, regardless of what mom wants, I won't use bar soap here. I'm not licensed though but bar soaps are against regs in some areas.

If a mom told me to give a child four ibuprofen I wouldn't so that either. It's not okay, especially with a medical issue, to just assume parents know what they are talking about.

Ina medical issue, I always send mom with one of my dr forms. On it I would let he dr know I need a non bar soap option and a list of products to avoid etc.

If it's not a medical issue that's different. But eczema in kids can result in secondary infections etc. And everybody is different. Some can use triclosan, some can't. Some can use certain lotions some can't.

I'm just saying I won't use a bar soap regardless.

The op asked for suggestions on product. We are all giving suggestions.

But the main thing is to get a list of allowed and not recommend products from a dr and not assume a parent knows. Or even to assume I know. All dr like different products.

And no, I don't take it as argumentative at all we all do things different. If we were all the same, it'd get a little boring lol

I never knew this and now that I do, I guess it makes sense that I should not use it without a Dr. consent.
Blackcat31 05:44 PM 03-03-2014
Mine doesn't.

I didn't realize there were so many "versions" I have the bar soap. It says 0.3% triclosan as the active ingredient.

http://www.cetaphil.com/products/ant...-cleaning-bar/

Browsing around the other types, it appears not all of them have triclosan.
My bad.
daycare 05:46 PM 03-03-2014
I didn't realize there were so many "versions" I have the bar soap. It says 0.3% triclosan as the active ingredient.

http://www.cetaphil.com/products/ant...-cleaning-bar/

Browsing around the other types, it appears not all of them have triclosan.
My bad.
I never knew soap could be so complicated.........lol
lovemykidstoo 05:49 PM 03-03-2014
I know one thing, I wouldn't use anything to wash the childs hands except what the parent is requesting, of course in bottle form, not in bar form. This would have to be in writing. I would request a note from dr. I also cannot put even lotion on a child without a written statement either.

To OP I would just tell parent that whatever they decide to use, have them check with the doctor and bring in a note. I would not even attempt to be the expert in that situation.
Blackcat31 05:49 PM 03-03-2014
me either....

I was just thinking "Wow! This is a busy thread!"
lovemykidstoo 05:52 PM 03-03-2014
me either....

I was just thinking "Wow! This is a busy thread!"
bwahaha! It certainly is. It's kinda weird because I had just been reading something about anti-bacterial soap the other day and how it's not necessary. Remember "back in the day" before we had anti-bacterial and just had regular soap.
Cat Herder 05:57 PM 03-03-2014
Aha! Found the confusing cetaphil buzzword.

Cleanser.

I use the "soap free" cleanser.... not hand soap.

So, my liquid hand soap is not soap at all . It is non-soap. Mind blown... shhh... don't tell the State...

I use it because that is what my DR. gave me after a bad *latex* reaction... I liked it. I keep buying it.
lovemykidstoo 05:59 PM 03-03-2014
Aha! Found the confusing cetaphil buzzword.

Cleanser.

I use the "soap free" cleanser.... not hand soap.

So, my liquid hand soap is not soap at all . It is non-soap. Mind blown... shhh... don't tell the State...

I use it because that is what my DR. gave me after a bad silicone reaction... I liked it. I keep buying it.
Just tell licensing it's non-soap soap. hahaha! That will confuse the daylights out of them.
sharlan 06:00 PM 03-03-2014
I never knew this and now that I do, I guess it makes sense that I should not use it without a Dr. consent.
Two of my grandkids have severe ezcema - brother and sister - what was good to use on one, turned the other one bright red in seconds. I could use Gold Bond lotion on one, but it burned the other one to the point of tears. Both had to have different soaps and lotions.
daycare 06:10 PM 03-03-2014
I didnt stop to think about cross contamination with bar soap, even though I would never use it on another child. I am sure that the state would say that I can't prove I am not using it on another child. Which technically I cant. I just threw it out, DCP are brining in aveno pump soap until doc note comes in. DCM said it was approved by the doctor.

Sharlan, That is very interesting about your GK. thanks for sharing, we need to remember that we are all different and will react differently too.
sharlan 06:33 PM 03-03-2014
The only thing CA cares is that it doesn't say "Keep Out of Reach of Children".
daycare 06:50 PM 03-03-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
The only thing CA cares is that it doesn't say "Keep Out of Reach of Children".
I asked one of my friends who does dc in my town and she told me no, we can't. So I tried to look it up and it said nothing about bar soap anywhere, that the preferred method was liquid soap.

I am sure knowing my luck if I kept it, I would get that analyst that cited me for it....

lol gotta love CA
TwinKristi 08:12 PM 03-03-2014
I was told to use the Cetaphil cleanser for my son's eczema as well. We used Eucerine and occasionally hydrocortisone cream if it got bad.

I would definitely give them the bar back and get liquid!
Tags:eczema
Reply Up