Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help! Needs ideas
Unregistered 10:41 AM 04-27-2017
Hi,
I have read posts on here for awhile and find many very helpful, so thought I'd put this question out there...

I have been in early ed for about 10 years now and decided to start my home daycare a few years ago. I love it! Right now i have a very challenging toddler, though. The mom is awesome and working with me on some behavior issues, but what it comes down to is I can't even leave her on the baby-proofed playroom floor while I change another child's diaper because she will climb up shelves, pull over or tackle other children, etc... I have had a few kiddos like her before and I know of some strategies to help her, so i am not really asking for help that way. But what i really need is a safe place to put her for five minutes!! I keep having to set her up with toys in the high chair since she can scale normal gates, climb out of the baby bouncing seat, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I just hate the idea of having to strap her into the high chair so often... in a center Insould have had an assistant to switch off with as needed!

Thank you!!
JackandJill 12:17 PM 04-27-2017
Would she be able to sit right next to you or near you? If she can sit still, I would have her do that. Shadow me when I have to put my attention on something else.

If not, the high chair or a pack and play. It's safest for her and the other children, in my experience.
Indoorvoice 12:22 PM 04-27-2017
Do you have one of those hexagon gates? Would she be able to scale that? I use that for my own 1 yo when I need to tend to other children and can't trust her to roam free. So far it works great for me.
Pestle 01:17 PM 04-27-2017
In my experience, a tall or scrappy toddler cannot be penned in if they're determined. (I have less than a year of experience but the first six months were a DOOZY.) There are points at which the physical capacity of a child way outpaces their emotional and social and logical capacity and their comprehension of physics. So they roll when they don't want to roll; they crawl head-first off of things; they run into sharp corners. And then they can climb when they need to stay put.

Ariana 02:11 PM 04-27-2017
I would do a pack and play for sure with some musical, noisy toys....or something no one has access too in the regular area.
Unregistered 03:31 AM 04-28-2017
Thank you all for your responses!! A few special noisy toys does sound like it would keep her busy if contained... I will look into different maybe taller gates or playpens... And I am afraid she just can't sit still!! I definitely make her my 'helper' as much as possible though. 😉 Thank you again!
daycarediva 04:03 AM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
Would she be able to sit right next to you or near you? If she can sit still, I would have her do that. Shadow me when I have to put my attention on something else.

If not, the high chair or a pack and play. It's safest for her and the other children, in my experience.
My oldest son at just over a year could scale two baby gates stacked on top of each other in a doorway. And his crib (with ease), and before two was unbuckling straps (car seats, high chairs) play yards were a joke.

I HIGHLY recommend having her shadow you, because her skills will only get more proficient. Have a toy or two that will really distract her make it something she enjoys "Oh, I need your help to go change Luke. Can you sit right here? Oh big girl!" etc.
Pestle 04:13 AM 04-28-2017
I've done diaper changes like surgery a couple of times. You know--"Forceps! Gauze!" only it's "New diaper! Wipe! Hold his shorts for me!"
Unregistered 11:23 AM 04-28-2017
Ok... Just an update in case anyone else has the same problem later. I decided to give the bouncer seat (the kind that sits in a frame with springs) a try out of desperation, even though I thought she had outgrown it and it worked! Should give me a few more weeks at least... 🙄 She loves the deep pressure/high impact sensations so jumping HARD in it is perfect for her. The highest setting for seat height seems to be higher then other baby seats/activity centers and a bit harder to climb out of due to the bounciness, so useful for the active and tall tot. 😉 Can't remember the company, but it is the jungle theme I still see in stores in case anyone else needs a similar solution.

Thank again for the feedback! It also is good to know that others need to do the same with some kiddos in their situations.
Laurie 11:31 AM 04-28-2017
Glad you found a solution which works for you both!!

Here in CA we are not able to use those. They fall under the Regs as a walker/ exersaucer!

Just thought I'd add that for anyone reading this in CA.
Unregistered 11:37 AM 04-28-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I've done diaper changes like surgery a couple of times. You know--"Forceps! Gauze!" only it's "New diaper! Wipe! Hold his shorts for me!"
Love it!
Tags:environments, gates, infant play space, safe play space
Reply Up