Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>PIA Food Program
3kidzmama 09:44 AM 08-04-2011
So I just joined the food program last month, and I swear this woman is going to drive me insane. She has called me at least once a day complaining about something that I've done wrong. Most of it has been paperwork that she DIDN'T even give me or tell me about!!!! Ugh!!!!!
Now she calls me and says my receipts are 16 gallons of milk short, and I will be receiving a warning. How this happened I have no clue, because they were there when I sent them in but now they have disappeared. Lost on their end, but I receive the punishment. They have also lost several childrens food program enrollment forms and I've had to resend them several times.
Lesson I have learned - make copies of every single thing.
sharlan 09:54 AM 08-04-2011
Now you know why I don't do the food program. My kids nicknamed mine "Stupid Sylvia", even they could tell she was less than intelligent.
3kidzmama 09:57 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Now you know why I don't do the food program. My kids nicknamed mine "Stupid Sylvia", even they could tell she was less than intelligent.
Seriously wondering if it's worth the irritation and headache.
Cat Herder 09:59 AM 08-04-2011
Same experiences here....not worth the effort, IMHO.

I just take the standard per meal tax deduction at the end of the year.

I keep track by MMK Attendance/Meal Counts and just print it off for my tax preparer.

Much less stress and I get a refund every year.

Some States have a rocking system, though... I just don't live in one of those.
sharlan 10:02 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Same experiences here....not worth the effort, IMHO.

I just take the standard per meal tax deduction at the end of the year.

I keep track by MMK Attendance/Meal Counts and just print it off for my tax preparer.

Much less stress and I get a refund every year.
I asked for a new monitor, when they told me that wasn't possible, I quit.
Blackcat31 10:06 AM 08-04-2011
I had same issues with my food program but I live in an area where I am lucky enough to be able to choose from 3 different food program sponsers. Same USDA program but different agencies so I could "exchange" my food nazi, (as we referred to her) for a new one and I love the one I have now!!!!

Do all of you only have one agency that you can choose from?
Cat Herder 10:07 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I asked for a new monitor, when they told me that wasn't possible, I quit.
I quit after my 3rd monitor in under two months...at two different tier levels

They still call every few months to see if I am interested and my CCR&R still guilts me about it every visit... (of course I am also on #4 CCR&R Rep since Christmas)

You?
Cat Herder 10:10 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I had same issues with my food program but I live in an area where I am lucky enough to be able to choose from 3 different food program sponsers. Same USDA program but different agencies so I could "exchange" my food nazi, (as we referred to her) for a new one and I love the one I have now!!!!

We have 11 to choose from currently and I don't have the time or patience to sort through them anymore....

I can't tell if they keep going out of business or just keep changing names whenever someone complains on them...

It feels like a chronic shell game that I always lose at....
juliebug 10:12 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

i have 3 or so i accidentally signed up with one that was in a different city 1 hour away but man i love them soo. they said i could switch to one closer to me if i wanted but i love them and they are soo sweet. I do all my paper work online so works for me.
Meeko 10:14 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by 3kidzmama:
So I just joined the food program last month, and I swear this woman is going to drive me insane. She has called me at least once a day complaining about something that I've done wrong. Most of it has been paperwork that she DIDN'T even give me or tell me about!!!! Ugh!!!!!
Now she calls me and says my receipts are 16 gallons of milk short, and I will be receiving a warning. How this happened I have no clue, because they were there when I sent them in but now they have disappeared. Lost on their end, but I receive the punishment. They have also lost several childrens food program enrollment forms and I've had to resend them several times.
I'm most confused by this post. Receipts for milk????
I have been on the food program for years and have never heard of anything remotely like that.

Here...the parents fill out an enrollment form and I send it in..

I feed the child a meal from my cycle menu and record it on MM.

I receive a check on the 1st of each month.

That's it.

Are you required to send in receipts for all the food you buy?!! We don't have to do that and yet the food program is supposed to be a federal program. We are told we get a certain amount per child per meal. If we spend less on the groceries than we are given.....well lucky us. If it costs more....well too bad. No receipts/no amounts/nothing but a record of a meal being served. We get drop in visits 4 times a year to make sure we are in compliance. I have never been out of compliance.

Make sure your food program is a good one. I found out that some are very fly-by-night. Providers don't get paid on time, paperwork gets lost etc etc. Evidently just about anyone can set up shop and run one. Mine's been around for decades.
Blackcat31 10:31 AM 08-04-2011
We have 11 to choose from currently and I don't have the time or patience to sort through them anymore....

I can't tell if they keep going out of business or just keep changing names whenever someone complains on them...

It feels like a chronic shell game that I always lose at....
I would feel the same then. I wouldn't even bother. The tax deduction at the end of the year would definately seem easier. FTR- I NEVER win at the shell game either. ever.

Originally Posted by juliebug:
i have 3 or so i accidentally signed up with one that was in a different city 1 hour away but man i love them soo. they said i could switch to one closer to me if i wanted but i love them and they are soo sweet. I do all my paper work online so works for me.
I hear ya, my current one is 3 hours from me but she has several clients in my area so she has no issue heading my way when she needs to and I love her too so I am glad she is willing.

My last one was so horrible that I considered going the end of the year route that Catherder mentioned just to save my sanity.
MN Day Mom 10:41 AM 08-04-2011
I'm with Meeko.... confused about the receipts? I've been on the food program for many, many years and I've never had to save a receipt for my sponsors??

Is this something lots of others have to do??
littlemommy 10:46 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I have been on the food program for years and have never heard of anything remotely like that.

That's it.

Are you required to send in receipts for all the food you buy?!! We don't have to do that and yet the food program is supposed to be a federal program. We are told we get a certain amount per child per meal. If we spend less on the groceries than we are given.....well lucky us. If it costs more....well too bad. No receipts/no amounts/nothing but a record of a meal being served. We get drop in visits 4 times a year to make sure we are in compliance. I have never been out of compliance.

Make sure your food program is a good one. I found out that some are very fly-by-night. Providers don't get paid on time, paperwork gets lost etc etc. Evidently just about anyone can set up shop and run one. Mine's been around for decades.
This is how mine is. Super easy, and I have an awesome lady who does the check-ins.
sharlan 10:48 AM 08-04-2011
The first one I had was soooo wonderful, Rainbow something or other. I absolutely loved them.

There were two ladies that were so sweet. Every time they came, they had a little treat for me. One time it was the calendar that you can record everything on. Another time, it was one of Tom Copeland's books and a Red Leaf pamphlet. They spoke to the kids on the importance of eating their veggies.

I went to drop off my paperwork one day and found a note on the door stating they had been shut down by the state.
PitterPatter 10:53 AM 08-04-2011
Why do u need reciepts? See this is how much the food programs vary. I have never needed any reciepts. Here the parents fill out an enrollment form for the FP when they enter daycare. I feed the children whatever I want as long as it's approved. I don't even plan meals much, no planned menus. Then I record it on MM each day before midnight in order to claim the meals. I receive a check the 1st week of each month. The parents have to do a reenrollment in the fall. Oh and they sign off every month on the new forms sent with my check. They come and do 4 or 5 visits each year. Oh and they just increased our reimbursment, not sure how much yet but I hear the checks are coming.

The lady I had for the first 4 years was wonderful so nice and didn't get very strict. Just all around pleasant to talk to. The new lady started last yr is soooo super strict and tries to enforce whole grain and tells us no white bread etc... she is nice enough but strict and overly pushy with what the MOST healthy items are that I should serve. Sorry I do serve some white bread, it's allowed get off my back! Not every sammy tastes great on wheat! (plus some kids just will not eat it)
Crystal 10:59 AM 08-04-2011
I would question why they are requiring reciepts. That is NOT a federal regulation and this is a federal program.
MG&Lsmom 11:08 AM 08-04-2011
That stinks.

I love my food program lady! She too comes bearing awesome gifts. And she plays with the kids or helps me make lunch. She's like a little bottle of sunshine too. So bubbly and cheery. I wish she would hurry up and visit again.
familyschoolcare 11:14 AM 08-04-2011
Alright everyone the food program is a federal program that is implemented at the state/county/city level. This means that it is federal money but the state/county/city is the one that actually runs the program that is why there are differences.
My Daycare 11:38 AM 08-04-2011
I just called this morning to enroll, and then I saw this thread. I have been stalling for months. I guess we will see how it goes.
Cat Herder 11:44 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Alright everyone the food program is a federal program that is implemented at the state/county/city level. This means that it is federal money but the state/county/city is the one that actually runs the program that is why there are differences.
If it was JUST a Federal Program and always had the same rules/regs, without State interference, I 'd join back up tomorrow....

They could even put out a yard sign in the middle of my lawn advertising that I did if they want to...

My State runs like an episode of The Dukes of Hazard.
Mom_of_two 11:49 AM 08-04-2011
That is too bad! My food program contact is Wonderful! Tries to make things easy, brings me cookbooks and free stuff they give-lol. I hope it gets better for you, it is nice to have that reimbursement for some things.
3kidzmama 11:59 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:

That's it.

Yep, required to provide receipts for every single item especially milk. If the amount of milk served doesn't match the amount purchased (proved by the receipt) then the provider is not compensated for that entire meal. So because of this, and that I didn't make copies of my receipts, I'm out over 300 meal reimbursements. Ouch!!! I will never fail to make copies again.
Cat Herder 12:11 PM 08-04-2011
Yep, required to provide receipts for every single item especially milk. If the amount of milk served doesn't match the amount purchased (proved by the receipt) then the provider is not compensated for that entire meal. So because of this, and that I didn't make copies of my receipts, I'm out over 300 meal reimbursements. Ouch!!! I will never fail to make copies again.
Let me guess...the County/State gets to keep the rest?
3kidzmama 12:19 PM 08-04-2011
Let me guess...the County/State gets to keep the rest?
I'm sure they do!
juliebug 01:01 PM 08-04-2011
if i had to do all the work i don't know if i would do it either i have kids who will not drink milk i can offer all i want they just won't drink it so am i supped to just dump there 4 oz of milk every day so i can my money ugh! good luck! i hope maybe you can find a better sponsor
Tags:drama, food program, food program inspection, paperwork, stress
Reply Up