Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should He Even Be in Care???
Breezy 07:28 AM 09-10-2012
DCB has what my DS is getting over right now: cough, congestion, raspy "voice" miserable, whining, coughing to the point of throwing up, running nose, etc.

I texted DCM yesterday to find out how DCB was and she said "horrible". I asked if she thought he would be coming and she said "I would imagine so".

She comes in this morning with amoxicillian and says she hasn't given it to him yet because she wants to get on my schedule. Also says that he hasn't been changed out of his overnight diaper because she wanted to let him sleep and he slept through picking him up and putting him in the car seat and bringing him in my house.

She said "I want to warn you. He's really fussy. Do you have a nose sucker? I figured you would so I didn't bring mine" UM, yes I do have a nose sucker but its for my DS and I am using it with him as he is sick too!

And then DCB coughs and she said "That cough is usually followed by him throwing up" GREAT.

No fever though so not excludable but he's not eating. UGH, just irritating because sick babies should be home with mommy and not at daycare. I wanted to go to the USO Sesame Street Concert today if DS was feeling up to it but now I can't because DCB is so sick.

Sigh.....Thoughts?
AnneCordelia 07:31 AM 09-10-2012
If he has vomited within 24 hours then he is excluded here. Also needing a snot sucker imo means too sick to attend regardless of the presence of a fever.
SilverSabre25 07:32 AM 09-10-2012
Call mom, tell her that dcb is much too ill to be in care. That even though he doesn't have a fever, the clause in your sick policy (you do have one, right?) that says "too fussy to participate in normal activities" applies here...and she NEEDS to pick him up.
momma2girls 07:36 AM 09-10-2012
I second that- call the parents right away!!!
Breezy 07:37 AM 09-10-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Call mom, tell her that dcb is much too ill to be in care. That even though he doesn't have a fever, the clause in your sick policy (you do have one, right?) that says "too fussy to participate in normal activities" applies here...and she NEEDS to pick him up.
She literally just dropped him off. My son isn't even up yet so there's nothing going on here that would warrant me saying that
AnneCordelia 07:40 AM 09-10-2012
Call back and say," Dcm I know you just dropped off but I didn't realize just how sick dcb was at dropoff. We had plans for a field trip today and he's just too ill to be able to participate so I have to ask you to come pick him up. "
SilverSabre25 07:49 AM 09-10-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
She literally just dropped him off. My son isn't even up yet so there's nothing going on here that would warrant me saying that
of course there is! She told you about it! Throwing up after coughing, "really fussy", so snotty he needs a nose-sucker, etc. She TOLD You about it. Call her and say, "DCM, I'm so sorry, you caught me by surprise and I didn't think fast enough. I really feel that with what you've told me that dcb is much too ill to be in care. I should have refused him at the door but it took me a couple minutes to process how ill he really is. We have a field trip scheduled today and from what you've said, he is much too ill to participate."
AnneCordelia 07:56 AM 09-10-2012
of course there is! She told you about it! Throwing up after coughing, "really fussy", so snotty he needs a nose-sucker, etc. She TOLD You about it. Call her and say, "DCM, I'm so sorry, you caught me by surprise and I didn't think fast enough. I really feel that with what you've told me that dcb is much too ill to be in care. I should have refused him at the door but it took me a couple minutes to process how ill he really is. We have a field trip scheduled today and from what you've said, he is much too ill to participate."

Yup yup yup.
Blackcat31 08:29 AM 09-10-2012

itlw8 08:41 AM 09-10-2012
I woul dhave sent him home. If there is an antibiotic it is not a cold .. It is likely bronchitus. Ds just had it and the dr told him he needed a few days rest before he went back to work.. same with a kid and childcare.

that child is not able to participate. besides usually amoicillan is 3x a day right? so first thing in the morning at home right as they pick up at home and bed time at home. at the most you should only have to give one dose if the child goes to bed early
cheerfuldom 09:02 AM 09-10-2012
I would never have allowed him to come. If the kids cant keep up with the regular routine, they arent allowed in care. If he cant play when its time to play, sleep when its time to sleep, then he doesnt belong in daycare. No vomiting, no prolonged whining and crying, etc.

Why are you doing this to yourself? and him??? send him home where he belongs!
Breezy 09:35 AM 09-10-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would never have allowed him to come. If the kids cant keep up with the regular routine, they arent allowed in care. If he cant play when its time to play, sleep when its time to sleep, then he doesnt belong in daycare. No vomiting, no prolonged whining and crying, etc.

Why are you doing this to yourself? and him??? send him home where he belongs!
Thanks for replies everyone! I think I just feel like since he's the only other kid in my care that I should just tough it out. He has actually been ok not nearly as bad as she said. Hasnt creid except for the one time I have had to wipe his nose. He has a cough every now and then but hes been happy and playing normal. Looks miserable but really no big deal despite how bad she said he was.
Reply Up