Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Red face Worried About Getting into the DC Business

I'm thinking about opening up my own in home daycare. I don't watch any kids regularly now, though I do baby sit my neighbors four girls quite a bit (their ages are from 18 months to 9 years). I've been reading other posts for a couple of days and noticed that alot of people decided to get into this because they wanted to stay home with their own children and that their also married or living with someone else who has an income. I'm 19, no children, and live with my parents who are unemployed, now I'm not getting into this for the money but I would like to make a living doing this and only this. Is this realistic? Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

I've read all the things I need to do to get licensed, and before I make a huge commitment to this (like moving to a bigger home, or spending money to get started), I would like to have some comfort in the fact that I will/can make a living. I know nothing is guaranteed. This is something I really want to do, I just need some reassurance (I guess? lol), that it is possible. Believe me, I'm not wanting to start this for the money or else I wouldn't be so worried! lol.

Anyways, any and all help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In my own experience, I wouldn't be able to get by on just my daycare income. Granted, I have 3 kids which is an expense that you do not have. I also live in California where rents are pretty high. I probably could make ends meet if I were 19 with no dependents.

The reason I decided to do home daycare was because I need to have 4 years of experience in a licensed facility (can include home daycare) before I can open up a center. Teacher/child ratios are higher in centers and therefore I am hoping the income will be worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2009, 09:02 AM
originalkat's Avatar
originalkat originalkat is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,389
Default I have worked in Childcare for a long time

I am 30 and have been doing home daycare for several years now. I started off working in centers as an assistant teacher when I was 16. I then took some early childhood classes and became a lead teacher (when we were living in San Diego). When I was about 20 I decided I really wanted to open a home daycare. I was married, but we did not have any kids. However, we did not have our own home yet and it just was not the right time to make it all happen. If you want to offer a quality program, it takes experience--dealing with parents, finances, business practices such as contracts and policies etc... You of course can learn as you go along, but being in the childcare field for awhile really helps. Besides the licensing issues, there will be some start-up costs for toys/equipment etc... Plus, it takes some time to get enrollments in your program. Not having another income would make that difficult in my opinion. But I am sure it could be done if you had some money in savings to help bridge the gap. We live on my husbands income and bought our home/cars etc according to his income alone. My income from childcare (right now about $1400 (3 paying kids) per month with the potential of about $3000 if I took in more kids) is extra. So if I lose kids we dont have to worry about paying the bills. However, if I did not have any kids we would beon a VERY tight budget.

My point is, I think you have a good dream/goal to work toward. It may work now depending on your financial situation, but more likely it will be a goal for the future. From the time I thought about starting my home daycare to the time I actually started was about 7 years. Now it probably wont take you that long. But be sure you are in the right place in your life to start your own business as a home chaldcare provider. Good Luck!
__________________
Originalkat
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-19-2009, 09:31 AM
gbcc's Avatar
gbcc gbcc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 619
Default

I am a single mom of a 7 year old and I am also raising my niece. I have been doing childcare for 4 years now very sucessfully. I have actually done so well I have expanded my registration for more children and hired an assistant. I had a really good job at the county but put in my 2 week notice and went on a whim to start chidcare. It took about 3 weeks to get my first child. After the first one it is much easier. Parents don't want their children being the only ones in care.

There are always ups and downs. You have to make sure to have yourself a nest egg because you don't have that spouse to depend on. If things get tough you may have to consider opening your home on evenings and wkends as well. Being single with no children may not be difficult for you.

I would also look into how many providers are in your area. When I first started, there were not that many registered providers so there was a high demand and I was able to take right off. Now in my area, there are at least 20 providers so I would not recommend starting out. I am ok now because I have connections through school and parent referrals so I am always comfortable.

Would your parents home be big enough and would they let you use their home to start off with? That would allow you to save up so you could get your own home and have some savings for if things did not take off very fast. I was renting when I started and come time to buy a home and move my families were fine with it. They were very supportive.

Last edited by gbcc; 12-19-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-20-2009, 09:06 AM
jen jen is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,808
Default

I started doing daycare so that I could be there for my children when I was getting divorced. Daycare was my sole source of income--in addition to child support--for a few years until I remarried. I kept my house, paid my bills, and still had a some left over...

It can be done!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 AM
AmandasFCC's Avatar
AmandasFCC AmandasFCC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 409
Default

Yup, my daycare is the primary source of income in my household as well. My hubby lost his job last year and instead of going on EI, he picked up a job at McDonalds so that we could at least have some benefits. For the most part, his paycheck pays for the medical insurance and a bit of the mortgage.

A very good friend of mine's mother was a single mother who ran a daycare, also the sole provider for the family, and she did very well for herself.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-21-2009, 02:09 PM
seashell's Avatar
seashell seashell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 179
Default

I am a single mom of 2 and the daycare is my only income. I have found that I am making more money than I would if I worked out of the house. I am pleased with my income. However, I know that it could change in an instant, so I put away as much as I can, even if it's just a few dollars. My advise is to make sure your parents are perfectly happy, keep advertising even if your full (if word spreads that you're always full, when you do have an opening, people will jump on it!!) and save what you can. Eventually, it's going to rain.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Post Taxes

Is the frustration with taxes worth it though? I don't know enough about taxes and how much to know to save come tax season!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Mister Sir Husband's Avatar
Mister Sir Husband Mister Sir Husband is offline
cook, cleaner, bug killer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is the frustration with taxes worth it though? I don't know enough about taxes and how much to know to save come tax season!
I am planning on opening my home daycare near the end of August.. I also don't know in my opinion enough about the taxes to catch everything possible that will work in my favor, but that's what H&R Block is for The few bucks they will charge me the first year or two until I am comfy doing taxes myself will be well worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Starburst's Avatar
Starburst Starburst is offline
Provider in Training
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,410
Default

I have learned as far as taxes go (depending on your state and how much you make) a rule of thumb is to expect at least between 15-25% of your earned wages to be taken out (my experience from when I worked). At first try to plan saving that percentage of money from what you earned and put it to the side for taxes, in some cases that may be too much so after taxes are done a few times you can see a pattern and will learn what percentage you should put away for taxes. I heard you can do taxes quarterly (every for months) or yearly.

You should look into how many daycares (home and center) in your area, the population, and see if there is a major or even a slight need for child care. In my current town there are ALOT of home daycares and daycare centers, as well as a low population (under 36,000) so I plan on moving before I start my business (currently in school full time).

Some other tips:
*RECORD EVERYTHING! Keep the receipts of everything you buy that is related to your daycare including materials, home repairs, food, toys, furniture, etc.

*Tom Copeland has a lot of great books about child care including taxes and record keeping (and what is considered tax deductible).
http://www.tomcopelandblog.com

*You can also try to go into food program, they will reimburse you for feeding children.

*Consider taking some classes in business and child care (CD/ECE). Some colleges have classes specifically for family child care providers and business administration. If you go to school full time may be able to qualify for financial aid. Also if your on the younger side, a degree can make you look more professional and serious about your business.

If you do decide to open a daycare, consider becoming a member of the board and joining the Providers In Training group.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-07-2013, 12:55 AM
Starburst's Avatar
Starburst Starburst is offline
Provider in Training
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,410
Default

For information on child care and taxes go to http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/. He has lots of books for family child care providers and helping money related issues.

To look at the books he has go to http://www.redleafpress.org/, they are reasonably priced (about $20) and have lots of advice about how to save money and what can be tax deductible.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
I have learned as far as taxes go (depending on your state and how much you make) a rule of thumb is to expect at least between 15-25% of your earned wages to be taken out (my experience from when I worked). At first try to plan saving that percentage of money from what you earned and put it to the side for taxes, in some cases that may be too much so after taxes are done a few times you can see a pattern and will learn what percentage you should put away for taxes. I heard you can do taxes quarterly (every for months) or yearly.
Taxes as an employee differ from paying taxes as a self employed business owner.

Anyone self employed should do their homework about paying taxes as well as find a tax consultant and/or preparer that specializes in child care taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
*Consider taking some classes in business and child care (CD/ECE). Some colleges have classes specifically for family child care providers and business administration. If you go to school full time may be able to qualify for financial aid. Also if your on the younger side, a degree can make you look more professional and serious about your business.
Kind of confused by this statement.

If you are younger?? What age is too old to go to school in your opinion?

Professionalism has NOTHING to do with having a degree.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-07-2013, 10:11 AM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Kind of confused by this statement.

If you are younger?? What age is too old to go to school in your opinion?

Professionalism has NOTHING to do with having a degree.
I'm thinking she meant that if you are a younger person in this field parents may not take you seriously as far as being committed to a long-term career in the field, and a degree may help mitigate that somewhat. At least that's how I read it .
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-07-2013, 10:13 AM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband View Post
I am planning on opening my home daycare near the end of August.. I also don't know in my opinion enough about the taxes to catch everything possible that will work in my favor, but that's what H&R Block is for The few bucks they will charge me the first year or two until I am comfy doing taxes myself will be well worth it.
You'd do better to find a tax preparer who has specific knowledge about the child care field. I'd stay away (far away, actually) from H&R Block. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Starburst's Avatar
Starburst Starburst is offline
Provider in Training
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Taxes as an employee differ from paying taxes as a self employed business owner.

Anyone self employed should do their homework about paying taxes as well as find a tax consultant and/or preparer that specializes in child care taxes.
This is an exert straight from Tom Copeland's FCC Record Keeping Guide (page 165- Paying Estimated Taxes):

"Your tax rate will either be 10%, 15%, or 25%, plus 15.3% in Social Security" (ok so I forgot to include SS)

On the bottom of the page How Much Should You Withhold:
"A rough rule of thumb is that federal income and Social Security taxes will amount to about 20% of your gross income (your gross income includes all fees you receive for child care and reimbursement from the Food Program)"

Of course she would have to pay more taxes if she has an employee but chances are she wont need an employee starting out and that her mom could help her if she does.

And yes, I for one am terrible at math and have said that I would need a finance/tax expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Kind of confused by this statement.

If you are younger?? What age is too old to go to school in your opinion?

Professionalism has NOTHING to do with having a degree.
Like a PP said, It was meant as some people don't take younger providers as seriously as business owners (as someone stated their concerns in a thread about it a few weeks ago). And Honestly BC, I DO think have a education does add a bit more of professionalism than none at all. If you don't believe me watch Tabitha Takes Over, there are lots of people who say "I don't need more education, I got the certificate and I been doing this for {10, 20, 30, 40} years" but they are usually the ones who are slipping in skills and act the least professional. At the very least it shows initiative that you take what you do seriously (IMHO).

After all, would you want a doctor who didn't go to med school to preform surgery on you? Or would you want to pay a beautician top dollar if they didn't have any education/certificates in styling hair, or doing nails and skin? I was in cosmetology and trust me, there are ALOT of illnesses you can get if a nail artist or esthetician is not educated in sanitizing and proper application/storage of material. Also how are child care experts supposed to break out of the "glorified babysitter" label if they don't hold themselves to a higher standard than bare minimum? Yes there are some things you cannot learn from a class or a book and having a degree doesn't "magically" make you know everything or make you professional; but its always good to keep up to date on the latest break-threw on ECE techniques and information.

Sometimes it seems to me that you don't really value education of child care professionals because you are always talking about how standards are getting higher and "Family child care will never be the same again". But for things to get better they have to grow, and growth sometimes means change. And not all change is bad.

Last edited by Starburst; 07-07-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Another thought
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
Like a PP said, It was meant as some people don't take younger providers as seriously as business owners (as someone stated their concerns in a thread about it a few weeks ago). And Honestly BC, I DO think have a education does add a bit more of professionalism than none at all (If you don't believe me watch "Tabitha Takes Over"). At the very least it shows initiative that you take what you do seriously (IMHO). .
I have no clue what "Tabitha Takes Over" is or has to do with child care

You mentioned it in another thread too so I am assuming it is some sort of show like Super Nanny or something.... ??

I think we will agree to disagree about professionalism and it's connection to a degree.

That is an insulting statement to make towards/about providers who do not have a degree.

There are MANY providers here who do not have a degree yet are VERY professional and take their career just as seriously......kwim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
After all, would you want a doctor who didn't go to med school to preform surgery on you? Or would you want to pay a beautician top dollar if they didn't have any education/certificates in styling hair, or doing nails and skin? I was in cosmetology and trust me, there are ALOT of illnesses you can get if a nail artist or esthetician is not educated in sanitizing and proper application/storage of material.
If you use this analogy then, a provider who has no children would be considered an unqualified caregiver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
Also how are child care experts supposed to break out of the "glorified babysitter" label if they don't hold themselves to a higher standard than bare minimum? Yes there are some things you cannot learn from a class or a book but its always good to keep up to date on the latest break-threw on ECE techniques and information.
Earning a degree does NOT break you out of the glorified babysitter label....

Same as above....a degree may give you a formal education but the hands on experience a provider gets from actually doing the job teaches you FAR MORE than any textbook you can cite or memorize.

Not to mention that earning a degree in early childhood education has very little to do with the actual care of a child. Sure you learn all sorts about developmental growth and about the ages and stages of cognitive and physical development but that still does NOT guarantee that you are a quality CARE giver.

Like I said, many providers choose to provide CARE without so much emphasis on the education part. Of course learning happens naturally through play but the caregiver doesn't HAVE to follow a specific curriculum or purposely teach the child anything to be a good caregiver.

I owned and operated my child care business for 15 years before I went to back to school and earned my degree and in all honestly, I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know other than textbook terms and words to define the skills and knowledge I already knew and a little of the "why" behind some behaviors but I can guarantee that it didn't automatically make me a better caregiver or instantly make parents view me more professionally.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
Sometimes it seems to me that you don't really value education of child care professionals because you are always talking about how standards are getting higher and "Family child care will never be the same again". But for things to get better they have to grow, and growth sometimes means change. And not all change is bad.
Please don't assume that I don't value the education of a child.....

I discuss the downside of standards getting higher and more time consuming because as a child care provider (WITH a degree, by the way) I already work 50-60+ hours per week.

Requiring MORE from a provider who works that much in a week's time for LOW wages is NOT something that is doable or even feasible in the real world.

Child care providers are already one of the lowest paid professions there is. Not to mention the fact that there are no medical benefits, pensions or retirement plans just more standards.

I FULLY and 100% support the change in standards for Early Childhood TEACHERS but NOT for child care providers.

That is the difference you are not seeing/understanding.

NOT all child care providers WANT to teach academics.

Some just want to provide quality care and have fun while doing it....and to do that you do NOT need to know all the things you learn from a formal education.

....and no, family child care will never be the same again.....the government has taken the "family" part out.

Last edited by Blackcat31; 07-07-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Starburst's Avatar
Starburst Starburst is offline
Provider in Training
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I have no clue what "Tabitha Takes Over" is or has to do with child care

You mentioned it in another thread too so I am assuming it is some sort of show like Super Nanny or something.... ??

Okay first of all Tabitha Coffee is a famous hairstyles goes to failing businesses and gives them advice about how to make their businesses better (it used to only be salons but now its multiple businesses).

I think we will agree to disagree about professionalism and it's connection to a degree.

That is an insulting statement to make towards/about providers who do not have a degree.

Ok, first I did edit it a bit before you posted this. and what part of the statement did I make that was insulting? I said that it adds a bit more of professionalism to have some type of education than none at all. In one post you said "This isn't going to be a job you do with only a HS diploma and a few training hours". I personally think that's insulting to think that that makes you qualified to watch and teach young children.

There are MANY providers here who do not have a degree yet are VERY professional and take their career just as seriously......kwim?


If you read the last paragraph that I added when you were working on this you will see that I acknowledge that a degree doesn't magically make you professional but that it helps you to learn the basics and understand development. As I said, IMPO the more effort you put into something the more likely you are to


If you use this analogy then, a provider who has no children would be considered an unqualified caregiver?

Um... NO! Just because someone is a parent doesn't mean they are qualified to work with children. There are many people who have kids but don't like kids and people who don't have kids but really want kids but cant have them. In fact, some people who say they like kids usually find out that they only like their own kids (because they raised them how they wanted them to be) or the children of their friends and relatives (because their friends and relatives have similar child rearing beliefs/approaches). The lady down the street has three kids and I wouldn't even trust her with a rock let alone a child (she is always yelling at her kids and always swearing).


Earning a degree does NOT break you out of the glorified babysitter label....

Same as above....a degree may give you a formal education but the hands on experience a provider gets from actually doing the job teaches you FAR MORE than any textbook you can cite or memorize.

Again read the paragraph that was added when you were responding. Also a requirement for getting your AA in Child development (in most of the colleges in my area) includes student teaching- where you apply everything you learned in a real child care (usually preschool) setting. Also some people (like myself) are very socially inept and are great with the kids but have issues talking to the parents or explaining things and need some tips on how to be more outgoing and communicate with parents and how to come up with a lesson that is fun and educational; as well as being able to explain to the parents how it is beneficial.

Not to mention that earning a degree in early childhood education has very little to do with the actual care of a child. Sure you learn all sorts about developmental growth and about the ages and stages of cognitive and physical development but that still does NOT guarantee that you are a quality CARE giver.

I think every opportunity in life is a learning opportunity, even in infancy. If you push a young child to do something they are not developmentally ready to do you are hindering their learning. IDK about your school but my school does have classes on caring for infants and toddlers (CD 13- Introduction to Infant/toddler care). Some of the classes about education children also talks about addressing their emotional needs, such as validating feelings and helping them to feel safe and confident; which (to me) is a part of "quality care". Again, as mentioned in my previous paragraph to get your AA here you have to have a certain amount of days/hours working with kids and applying what you learned.

Like I said, many providers choose to provide CARE without so much emphasis on the education part. Of course learning happens naturally through play but the caregiver doesn't HAVE to follow a specific curriculum or purposely teach the child anything to be a good caregiver.

For some people that type of thing doesn't happen naturally BEFORE they have a chance to open. Some people feel more confident if they have evidence to back up their beliefs/thoughts and points of reference to back up their claims or they get the information mixed up and need a point of reference to clarify (how many times have I gotten chewed out for not siting my source).

I owned and operated my child care business for 15 years before I went to back to school and earned my degree and in all honestly, I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know other than textbook terms and words to define the skills and knowledge I already knew and a little of the "why" behind some behaviors but I can guarantee that it didn't automatically make me a better caregiver or instantly make parents view me more professionally
Again I never said it "automatically" did it, I just said it helps to have some education than none at all. Sorry if you feel cheated by having to go back to school to learn what you already knew. Also depending on the type of care you do a certificate/degree is legally required. In your state (from what you have said) you have an FCC in a home that you do not live in but in my state you can't do that unless you buy/rent a house that is only for child care and that is licensed as a center; not a home (would have to follow Title 22 and Title 5 regs). You would also have to have at least a BA and (most likely) a directors teaching permit.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Starburst's Avatar
Starburst Starburst is offline
Provider in Training
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Please don't assume that I don't value the education of a child.....

I discuss the downside of standards getting higher and more time consuming because as a child care provider (WITH a degree, by the way) I already work 50-60+ hours per week.

Requiring MORE from a provider who works that much in a week's time for LOW wages is NOT something that is doable or even feasible in the real world.

Child care providers are already one of the lowest paid professions there is. Not to mention the fact that there are no medical benefits, pensions or retirement plans just more standards. .

NOT all child care providers WANT to teach academics.
I never said that it looks like you don't value education in a child, I said in a child care professional.

Maybe by increasing the standard that will lower the over abundance of child care providers in certain areas where there are too many child cares there will be more emphasis of importance in this field (after all if it weren't for daycare, many parents would not be able to work). The way I see it the more of something someone has have the less they tend to value it. This may be the excuse that some providers need to increase their rates or help them to qualify for more tax breaks or even better access to benefits (such as being able to care for an additional SA child without an assistant, or their own child not counting for their ratio, or a type of licenses that would allow them to care for an extra group of children with an additional assistant).

If they don't want to teach academics that's fine, then they shouldn't advertise as a preschool or they should focus mostly on infants/after school children or cater to parents who want to "unschool" their children. And as I stated in PP, part of quality care to me is having an enriching environment that educates as well as cares.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-07-2013, 04:55 PM
DaycareMom2012
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I agree with Starburst about the comment of having more education and being younger. I started my daycare business at 22 and am 23 and I myself sometimes feel some parents may not take me as seriously bc of my young age.

Also, I don't see why so many people in this forum feel the need to disect every little thing another person comments. I don't think anyone means to offend anyone and if you take offense then maybe you are being too sensitive, however, I have seen that some other people that will comment directly to offend someone on the way they do things bc they do not agree. I find it very childish to go back and forth with each other on a forum about CHILDCARE business, I think if a lot of parents such as myself were to read a lot of these forums would find many of the people childish. This forum is for advice and suggestions. This is just my opinion. Not trying to offend or be rude to anyone, especially no one in particular.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-07-2013, 05:35 PM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareMom2012 View Post
Also, I don't see why so many people in this forum feel the need to disect every little thing another person comments. I don't think anyone means to offend anyone and if you take offense then maybe you are being too sensitive, however, I have seen that some other people that will comment directly to offend someone on the way they do things bc they do not agree. I find it very childish to go back and forth with each other on a forum about CHILDCARE business, I think if a lot of parents such as myself were to read a lot of these forums would find many of the people childish. This forum is for advice and suggestions. This is just my opinion. Not trying to offend or be rude to anyone, especially no one in particular.
You don't think it's rude or offensive to call people childish?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAngels View Post
You don't think it's rude or offensive to call people childish?
Lol I think you just made her point for her...anyway.... Moving right along....
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Starburst's Avatar
Starburst Starburst is offline
Provider in Training
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,410
Default

I wasn't trying to go back and forth but I always feel like I have to defend my opinions on this board and part of it I do think is because some of the others don't take me seriously either because of my age or (as pointed out earlier) because I don't have any kids of my own .

I was actually thinking of saying something about this getting off topic a while ago but got caught up in the debate So I am sorry to the OP, I didn't mean to get off topic.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-07-2013, 05:44 PM
DaycareMom2012
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

That is exactly what I mean...all the arguing on the thread is unneccessary, especially when you are suppossed to be grown and professional!!
if the shoe fits...wear it...
Will be finding a new forum!!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-07-2013, 05:52 PM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
Lol I think you just made her point for her...anyway.... Moving right along....
Perhaps. I don't usually call anyone out. I tend to be a live and let live kind of person. But in this case I see a member who joined just recently, with a total post count of less than 30, painting the entire population of this forum with a rather broad brush. I think there are better ways to make the point. And yes, I found her comments to be both rude and offensive.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-07-2013, 05:52 PM
DaycareMom2012
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I wasn't talking about you starburst going back and forth. I took it as you had to explain yourself for a comment you made to the OP and someone else felt the need to take it way out of context and that should not have been the issue. I just feel some people get on this forum with a lot if judgement and make comments that are just not necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareMom2012 View Post
That is exactly what I mean...all the arguing on the thread is unneccessary, especially when you are suppossed to be grown and professional!!
if the shoe fits...wear it...
Will be finding a new forum!!
I'm sorry you feel this way. I've not been here for long and your right, I first came onto the board during yet another drama. It was very discouraging. But I stuck around. I take the good from the board and ignore the drama crap.

There is a lot of drama junk here. There's drama junk everywhere.

Ignore the drama (sometimes its really hard) and stick around. You can learn a lot here.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 PM
DaycareMom2012
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I was not trying to say everyone or anyone is childish. I am a very blunt and verbal person. and I can see how things can be taken out of context by people by reading something, I was just saying the bickering between us as grown professional people is childish. I have read a lot of the threads and somewhere along a lot of the thread some negativity comes out, and I can say that at this I am probably guilty of that by the post I made and I do apologize, as i said b4 my intention was not to be rude or offensive.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareMom2012 View Post
I wasn't talking about you starburst going back and forth. I took it as you had to explain yourself for a comment you made to the OP and someone else felt the need to take it way out of context and that should not have been the issue. I just feel some people get on this forum with a lot if judgement and make comments that are just not necessary.
There's gonna be drama on every board you visit at one point or another.


When it comes to age, didn't we just have the thread about how age effects enrollment? If I recall correctly I'm sure nearly all the early 20s people said they had no problem getting clients because of their age.

As for education, I have a degree and never once has a parent asked in an interview about my education. I don't feel I am a better provider or more professional than any other provider just because I have a degree, I learned nothing about the business side or general care side of childcare in school, that has been all been hands on (and this board ). And on that same note I have DCPs that know I have a degree but still refer to me as "babysitter."

IMO the Tabatha debate has nothing to with these situations, its a tv show about people who have given up and are about to loose their businesses because they don't care and have just let everything go

Last edited by Lyss; 07-07-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: added
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-07-2013, 06:25 PM
MyAngels's Avatar
MyAngels MyAngels is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareMom2012 View Post
I was not trying to say everyone or anyone is childish. I am a very blunt and verbal person. and I can see how things can be taken out of context by people by reading something, I was just saying the bickering between us as grown professional people is childish. I have read a lot of the threads and somewhere along a lot of the thread some negativity comes out, and I can say that at this I am probably guilty of that by the post I made and I do apologize, as i said b4 my intention was not to be rude or offensive.
I see where you're coming from. Sorry to get a little snippy, but I really enjoy this forum and consider many of the people here to be friends.

I know when I first started visiting here I was like a lot. The more I read, though, the more I realized that this is a great group of providers. Yes, at times we can "get into it" - myself included - but you won't find a better group anywhere.

Stick around, participate, and before long I bet you'll know what I mean.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyss View Post


There's gonna be drama on every board you visit at one point or another.


When it comes to age, didn't we just have the thread about how age effects enrollment? If I recall correctly I'm sure nearly all the early 20s people said they had no problem getting clients because of their age.

As for education, I have a degree and never once has a parent asked in an interview about my education. I don't feel I am a better provider or more professional than any other provider just because I have a degree, I learned nothing about the business side or general care side of childcare in school, that has been all been hands on (and this board ). And on that same note I have DCPs that know I have a degree but still refer to me as "babysitter."

IMO the Tabatha debate has nothing to with these situations, its a tv show about people who have given up and are about to loose their businesses because they don't care and have just let everything go
i don't think this is really helping with the "moving on" thing. it seems like it is adding salt to the wounds. it kind of proving daycaremom2012's original point about dissecting everything someone says.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i don't think this is really helping with the "moving on" thing. it seems like it is adding salt to the wounds. it kind of proving daycaremom2012's original point about dissecting everything someone says.
And this isn't? Please, its pot stirring

I was directing OP to my experiences with education and the thread about age in relation to enrollment. Tabatha comment? Yeah it has nothing to do with childcare but its been going back and forth. I'll comment on it if I feel like it, just like you can post what you want on whatever thread you want
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Please don't assume that I don't value the education of a child.....

I discuss the downside of standards getting higher and more time consuming because as a child care provider (WITH a degree, by the way) I already work 50-60+ hours per week.

Requiring MORE from a provider who works that much in a week's time for LOW wages is NOT something that is doable or even feasible in the real world.

Child care providers are already one of the lowest paid professions there is. Not to mention the fact that there are no medical benefits, pensions or retirement plans just more standards.

I FULLY and 100% support the change in standards for Early Childhood TEACHERS but NOT for child care providers.

That is the difference you are not seeing/understanding.

NOT all child care providers WANT to teach academics.

Some just want to provide quality care and have fun while doing it....and to do that you do NOT need to know all the things you learn from a formal education.

....and no, family child care will never be the same again.....the government has taken the "family" part out.
Black Cat, Why do you feel the need to always be so condescending and judgmental? You act as if you know it all and no one elses opinion matters. Its the exact reason that I am no longer a member of this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Starburst's Avatar
Starburst Starburst is offline
Provider in Training
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyss View Post
And this isn't? Please, its pot stirring

I was directing OP to my experiences with education and the thread about age in relation to enrollment. Tabatha comment? Yeah it has nothing to do with childcare but its been going back and forth. I'll comment on it if I feel like it, just like you can post what you want on whatever thread you want
OK I only made the Tabitha reference once. IDK why BC said I "keep making a reference to it" because that Tabitha/Super Nanny thread was started by someone else, not by me- I may have responded to it but I didn't start it. Then I tried to explained to BC what it was and what my point was. And for some reason you seem to be fixated on that and trying to tear me down with it. It has to do with business and professionalism in general, no just child care. Sorry if you don't get the point I am trying to get across but I like using metaphors and examples when I am explaining something; sometimes from TV shows or other areas of life, to make my point, that's how I learn and that's how I explain things. And I yes I did in fact think that it was germane to that conversation at the time since it was about professionalism (which is what most of that show is about).

Why do you feel the need to open this up again? As well as trying to get in the middle of it? And yes honestly you are stirring the pot right now after everything has cooled off and I even apologized to the original post for letting it accelerate this far and off the original topic. And this type of behavior you have shown is even more bringing the point across that DCM2012 was saying. Its things like this that make me feel unwelcome here and what does make some people leave because they don't want to be bullied by someone who is supposed to be an adult. And yes I do consider this borderline cyber bullying (intentionally trying to pick on someone and trying to cause them unnecessary stress) and I am sick of it.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Um, ok...

first off, there are NO forum rules stating that threads can't go off topic.

As a matter of fact, more threads do than don't and that is great.....daycare related comments, opinions and advice is ALL relevant content for this board.

Why can't posters discuss things they disagree about or view differently?


@Starburst~....I mean this with a kind heart....

I think you need to let go of feeling as if members don't take you seriously based on your age or parental status as there are many members here that are the same age as well as members who don't have children yet.

I am sorry you feel that is how people perceive you as I certainly don't.

I think you have valid content and usually offer really good advice and support.

There are times in which you do seem to struggle to get your point across or perhaps misinterpret what others are saying, but again that is not age dependent....we ALL do it.


Personally, I don't think Lyss is stirring any pot..... her first post was actually a great condensed version of what I was trying to say.

She stated her opinion, just like everyone else has done. I don't see how that is bullying anyone.


@Daycaremom2012~ In response to the "going back and forth".... I was having a discussion with Starburst. Not all threads are just one member after another saying "I agree" over and over. Some of them do get heated sometimes but I don't think anyone here was being rude or out of line.

Starburst and I often see things from a different perspective and although we may appear to disagree more often than not, her opinion is still valuable and insightful to me.


@unregistered~ I am sorry you feel I come across as judgmental and condescending. That is never my intent.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-07-2013, 10:04 PM
DaycareMom2012
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

@Daycaremom2012~ In response to the "going back and forth".... I was having a discussion with Starburst. Not all threads are just one member after another saying "I agree" over and over. Some of them do get heated sometimes but I don't think anyone here was being rude or out of line.

Starburst and I often see things from a different perspective and although we may appear to disagree more often than not, her opinion is still valuable and insightful to me.


THere is nothing wrong with going back and forth as that is what happens in any discussion, of course, however I took most of the discussion that I read between you two as she was just trying to explain herself and justify what she commented, which is something she nor anyone else should have to do, you nor anyone else here are anyone that any of us should feel the need to explain ourselves to. If someone posts something I do not agree with, I just keep it moving and do not comment if I have nothing nice to say. It seems that you comment on everything someone has to say, and IMO it's not always needed, but then again that is my opinion and others may feel different and that is fine. I just feel that if I post something and someone doesn't agree or if I do not put it in the right context, then it will just be a negative back and forth thing. I'm all for people disagreeing with each other and making their points or putting in their input, however there are nicer ways to do it w/o being condescending.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
OK I only made the Tabitha reference once. IDK why BC said I "keep making a reference to it" because that Tabitha/Super Nanny thread was started by someone else, not by me- I may have responded to it but I didn't start it. Then I tried to explained to BC what it was and what my point was. And for some reason you seem to be fixated on that and trying to tear me down with it. It has to do with business and professionalism in general, no just child care. Sorry if you don't get the point I am trying to get across but I like using metaphors and examples when I am explaining something; sometimes from TV shows or other areas of life, to make my point, that's how I learn and that's how I explain things. And I yes I did in fact think that it was germane to that conversation at the time since it was about professionalism (which is what most of that show is about).

Why do you feel the need to open this up again? As well as trying to get in the middle of it? And yes honestly you are stirring the pot right now after everything has cooled off and I even apologized to the original post for letting it accelerate this far and off the original topic. And this type of behavior you have shown is even more bringing the point across that DCM2012 was saying. Its things like this that make me feel unwelcome here and what does make some people leave because they don't want to be bullied by someone who is supposed to be an adult. And yes I do consider this borderline cyber bullying (intentionally trying to pick on someone and trying to cause them unnecessary stress) and I am sick of it.
I'm a cyber bully? That is a rude comment IMO. I NEVER said anything bad about you in any way, I never called you out or attacked you. I don't think ill of you or anything a long that lines. You have had many great points on many threads but everyone disagrees. I was posting to OP about things I have experienced and adding my two cents. I didn't realize this thread wasn't for everyone.

I am not "picking any fights" or being rude intentionally. I now see I my didn't appear at the end of my last post and if you already thought I was out to get you, you would take that as rude but I wasn't even talking to you and it wasn't about you. MANY of these threads go off topic, its the nature of conversation, I'm sorry that you feel I did it intentional just to get at you but really it had nothing to do with you. I was just posting on the recently active threads for today and this was one.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaycareMom2012 View Post
@Daycaremom2012~ In response to the "going back and forth".... I was having a discussion with Starburst. Not all threads are just one member after another saying "I agree" over and over. Some of them do get heated sometimes but I don't think anyone here was being rude or out of line.

Starburst and I often see things from a different perspective and although we may appear to disagree more often than not, her opinion is still valuable and insightful to me.


THere is nothing wrong with going back and forth as that is what happens in any discussion, of course, however I took most of the discussion that I read between you two as she was just trying to explain herself and justify what she commented, which is something she nor anyone else should have to do, you nor anyone else here are anyone that any of us should feel the need to explain ourselves to. If someone posts something I do not agree with, I just keep it moving and do not comment if I have nothing nice to say. It seems that you comment on everything someone has to say, and IMO it's not always needed, but then again that is my opinion and others may feel different and that is fine. I just feel that if I post something and someone doesn't agree or if I do not put it in the right context, then it will just be a negative back and forth thing. I'm all for people disagreeing with each other and making their points or putting in their input, however there are nicer ways to do it w/o being condescending.
I wasn't trying to say anything rude to you in my last post, but I've been accused of it so I'll clarify. I was just stating that all online forums have drama. People feel more comfortable behind the anonymity of a computer screen so these places tend to have major spurts of drama. I hope that you do stay.

Last edited by Lyss; 07-07-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Starburst's Avatar
Starburst Starburst is offline
Provider in Training
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,410
Default

It was those emoticons like that kinda made it seem like you were making fun of me and I may have been a little sensitive because last year on my birthday I was harassed and cyber bullied by friends of a friend through my friends FB page (I was not friends with them). And I tried not to do anything about it but they just keep going and going and pretty much ruined my birthday. The worst thing was they weren't just kids they were a couple in their 40s !

So I may be a little touchy about that and I jumped the gun a bit and I am sorry about that. As one of my ECE teachers put it "you never know what is in someone else backpack" meaning you never now what they have been through or how they see things.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
It was those emoticons like that kinda made it like you were making fun of me and I may have been a little sensitive because last year on my birthday I was harassed and cyber bullied by friends of a friend through my friends FB page (I was not friends with them). And I tried not to do anything about it but they just keep going and going and pretty much ruined my birthday. The worst thing was they weren't just kids they were a couple in their 40s !

So I may be a little touchy about that and I jumped the gun a bit and I am sorry about that. But as one of my ECE teachers put it "you never know what is in someone else backpack" meaning you never now what they have been through or how they see things.
I'm sorry you were bullied, that's not something I'd wish on anyone.

And I'm sorry it came off as being directed at you but my comments with the s honestly had nothing to do with you. I even quoted the "unregistered" I was replying to in order to avoid this situation. So unless you logged out to egg on the conversation and then logged back in to chastise me for responding to the unregistered comment (which I'm NOT saying you did in anyway, shape, or form [or tone] because I know you wouldn't do that) I promise it had nothing to do with you and I didn't mean anything bad about you (or anyone really). I just joking around with 1 unregistered user, not purposefully offending "many registered users" like you accused. So again, sorry it came off as being directed at you. I'm not out to get you or start drama for you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, starting a daycare

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exclusive Business Use SilverSabre25 Daycare and Taxes 6 02-09-2017 11:16 AM
Lets Make A List For T/S % legomom922 Daycare and Taxes 30 10-22-2015 02:45 PM
Business Checking Account? Kim Daycare and Taxes 3 06-10-2012 06:03 PM
Business Bank Account jenidae Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 01-25-2011 01:29 PM
Taxes: Time/Space vs % of Business Use legomom922 Daycare and Taxes 4 09-21-2010 05:22 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:04 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming